Pond Boss
Posted By: Fatih No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/03/15 08:09 PM
Hey guys,

2-3 months left since my USA fishing trip. I have been trying to decide on a schedule and route for my trip.

I will be in NY on the first of the June. I will rent a car there and i plan to go up to Indiana, to meet Esshup(if he is available by that time). Bob-O also invited me to his place in NE Indiana.

When i asked "where should i go?" to folks in another discussion board they all insisted me to go up to Michigan for fishing. They told me it was a paradise. What do you think? I am not really a trout guy . I am not a good fly fisher. I am more interested in muskies.

After Northern regions i will drive down to NC(to see my host family for a couple days) and then down to Florida for Southern Fishing. Now, i don't know if Florida is a very good choice for fishing(especially freshwater) . And i don't know where in Florida to go , as well.

I plan to buy in inflatable kayak. So i will be free to fish where ever i like without having to go on an expensive fishing charter. Good idea?

As to my fishing purposes, i just want to catch a lot of fish(any species) in a clean and heavily green environment, in fair weather conditions(well... not always) .

So guys, i need to hear some suggestions from you now, to firm up my schedule and purchase car rentals and flight tickets.

Thanks smile .

Posted By: Lukkyseven Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/03/15 10:33 PM
If you stop by Maryland and I have enough notice I can be sure to take you out. I'm not guide, I have a good time on the water.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/04/15 12:49 AM
I wonder if Florida Alligators like inflatable kayaks???
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/04/15 02:04 AM
No but they eat the boat "motor" sometimes
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/04/15 02:57 AM
Fatih,

FWIW Inflatable kayak sounds like a leak and problem waiting to happen and perhaps ruin your trip. Just a thought, as it sounds like you will be driving everywhere, rent a small SUV. You then have space to carry all your gear and can rent or buy an inexpensive canoe you can carry around on top of the SUV.

Edit: Don't forget to buy a fishing license for every state you plan on fishing in public waters. Another thought, if you are planning on heading to Indiana first thing, you might want to consider flying into Chicago instead of New York.

Bill D
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/04/15 03:31 AM
Hey buddy, sent ya pm. I will be back in Indiana by June for sure.
Lucky7s invite sounds too good to pass up. For southern fishing, you don't need to go clear down to Fl. If you're going to be in the Carolinas area I'll bet ya get some offers from some of those good ol boys out that way. Very good fishin in the eastern mnts. If the Mich guys don't chime in, there is some pretty good Musky fishin right around Cecils place at Lake Webster and Loon lake. My son has a place on Loon and if ya don't mind tents you would be welcome there for a few days. Scott and Cecil should be able to suggest other nearby places.
Keep us all posted as you finalize your plans. Hope to meet you. Bob
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/04/15 03:35 AM
Fatih,

Fishing with ESSHUP will be a lot of fun even if you don't catch any fish! Unless conditions are really bad, he will make sure you catch some great fish. He is just a really wonderful down-to-earth person, and one of the best of the best, especially when it comes to fishing, hunting, and cooking. You couldn't find a better person have as a friend.

Going down to Florida should also be a fantastic experience. Florida has it all -- except maybe for muskies. They've got lots of fresh water, brackish water, and saltwater fishing. Fishing Florida is really exciting because you never know what might be on the end of your line.

Good luck,
Ken
Posted By: basslover Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/04/15 05:04 AM
When are you hitting NC and passing down to FL?

Perhaps a stop in GA might be of interest. We've got some great bass fishing.

Regarding inflatable kayaks, I've taken one around the world because it is a heck of a lot easier to transport than a fiberglass yak. As well as repair. Consider researching Advanced Elements inflatable yaks. Specifically;

StraightEdge Angler http://www.amazon.com/Advance-Elements-A...ight+edge+kayak

and their AE1012-R Advanced Frame http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Elements-...nflatable+kayak

The Angler is designed for fishing with a nice wide open leg area and rod holders, while the AE1012-R is more sporty better tracking and you can use the top over legs for work area. Check 'em out.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/04/15 05:57 AM
If you come to the Washington, DC area let me know. I'll be glad to give you a tour of the city and show some great fishing on the adjacent Potomac River.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/04/15 12:21 PM
Fatih, please keep us all in the loop, and document, document, document. This could be an epic trip that many of us dream about. No boundaries of any kind is a vary rare thing these days.
Posted By: Fatih Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/04/15 04:20 PM
LukkySeven and CJBS2003, thanks so much for your offers. It looks like Maryland and DC are not on my route, but if it changes i will definitely stop by.

Rainman and Pat... Haha laugh . Is it really dangerous?

Bill, i don't know man. 35$ / day for a canoe sounds insane for me. And i might not be able to find canoe every place i go. I will get licences for sure. My flight is to NY. It is not a modifiable ticket. I will need to buy another ticket to probably Detroit.

Bob, you are amazing, man. How to refuse all the offers you have been making. No, i wouldn't mind staying in a tent as long as there is good fishing. Where is Loon? When i Google it , i see it is in the very southern part of IN. Webster seems to be full of lakes and ponds. Would love to be around there. I guess i will get in touch with Cecil, when the time comes Bob. I don't want to bother him 3 months in advance smile .

Ken , i thought that Florida had hundreds of species as you said but no one agreed with me smile . I will see... I have been corresponding with Scott for more than a year now. He is like a Pond Father to me. He is helping me so much with my impossible pond project in Turkey smile .

basslover , i always wanted to go fishing in GA. But never had a chance. I guess i will definitely stop by(can i have your email adress for further contact). Thanks so much for your kind offer.
If i will pay more than 200-250 dollars for a kayak i want to take it back home. Not just leave it. How much space do they cover? Can i fit one in a large luggage? A luggage = 200 dollars extra on the airplane. So, i am kinda confused. Maybe i should look for smaller kayaks. Something like that would be great http://www.bicsport.com/images/YAKKAir1-Bag_Website.jpg . I guess you are experienced on kayaks. I might send you a message, before picking one.

FireIsHot , when i see someone excited for my trip, i get even more excited. When i saw people wanted to know how my trip would go, i decided to film a little documentary. I will bring some GoPro camera with me and film it. USA is a fishing paradise for Turkish People. Because there is nearly no fish here. I want my people to feel the excitement i will have with every cast. It is like a virgin left in 50 ladies , ready to jump on your lure smile . Ehehe.
Posted By: RER Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/04/15 04:23 PM
I am in NE Florida and would be glad to help out if you are going to be near the Jacksonville greater area.
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/04/15 06:13 PM
Where in NY are you landing?

A great place to fish in NY is on the St. Lawrence river in Alexandria bay. Some of the best Muskie and Pike fishing that I know of is done there, and a very beautiful and unique area. However it is vary far Upstate NY so probably out of your way.
Posted By: Bocomo Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/04/15 06:46 PM
Sounds like the trip of a lifetime!

Please keep in mind that this country is enormous. I'd hate for you to spend the whole trip in the car. If you look at the driving times on a map you'll get the idea, for example NYC to Southern Indiana is at least 12 hours.

If you will spend most of your time in the middle of the country, I might suggest taking an additional flight to Chicago or Indianapolis and then renting a car there. You could then make a big loop through the midwest and south and fly out again from Chicago or take another one-way flight from some destination down the road and return the car there.

Something like this (http://bit.ly/17Rdsy6) would allow you to see a lot of PondBossers.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/04/15 07:12 PM
Fatih

Just stretching it a little on the gators... You won't believe how large Texas is if you planning to come here. Sounds like you really gonna have a great time fishing your way across the USA that is a trip of a lifetime. Heck most here would love to do that!

Pat
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/04/15 07:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Bocomo

Please keep in mind that this country is enormous. I'd hate for you to spend the whole trip in the car. If you look at the driving times on a map you'll get the idea, for example NYC to Southern Indiana is at least 12 hours.

If you will spend most of your time in the middle of the country, I might suggest taking an additional flight to Chicago or Indianapolis and then renting a car there. You could then make a big loop through the midwest and south and fly out again from Chicago or take another one-way flight from some destination down the road and return the car there.

Something like this (http://bit.ly/17Rdsy6) would allow you to see a lot of PondBossers.

Wow, Bocomo how cool is that! If it were warmer I'd already have my bags packed!

Fatih, just think, all you'd have to do is program addresses into your GPS and put your car on auto-pilot while you're setting up your tackle for the next stop! Just thinking of all the Pondmeister's along that route, the pond knowledge you would gain, the fish you would catch, and most importantly, the memories and friendships created. That truly could would be the trip of a lifetime!

Come to think of it, what if you had a driver licensed in the U.S. to drive you around? You wouldn't need to obtain a driver's license OR insurance? Hmmmmm, now we're talking the trip of a lifetime for two!

Shall I check my calendar? grin
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/04/15 11:33 PM
Fatih, you can't come to the US without seeing Texas.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/04/15 11:43 PM
But DD1 he only has 45days! Takes longer than that to cross Texas

Pat
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/05/15 12:43 AM
Originally Posted By: Lovnlivin
Originally Posted By: Bocomo

Wow, Bocomo how cool is that! If it were warmer I'd already have my bags packed!

Fatih, just think, all you'd have to do is program addresses into your GPS and put your car on auto-pilot while you're setting up your tackle for the next stop! Just thinking of all the Pondmeister's along that route, the pond knowledge you would gain, the fish you would catch, and most importantly, the memories and friendships created. That truly could would be the trip of a lifetime!

Come to think of it, what if you had a driver licensed in the U.S. to drive you around? You wouldn't need to obtain a driver's license OR insurance? Hmmmmm, now we're talking the trip of a lifetime for two!

Shall I check my calendar? grin

LL I am thinking caravan!
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/05/15 12:53 AM
Fatih,

Sounds like you have your mind set on a kayak. If you are not experienced with a kayak, I suggest you get one where your legs are not enclosed for when it rolls upside down.

I have never priced an inflateable kayak but $250 seems low for a good one.
Posted By: JKB Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/05/15 01:04 AM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Fatih, you can't come to the US without seeing Texas.

From esshup's experience, who would want to go to Texas?

Just joking. It's a tad snowy...
Posted By: basslover Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/05/15 02:28 AM
Originally Posted By: Fatih
basslover , i always wanted to go fishing in GA. But never had a chance. I guess i will definitely stop by(can i have your email adress for further contact). Thanks so much for your kind offer.
If i will pay more than 200-250 dollars for a kayak i want to take it back home. Not just leave it. How much space do they cover? Can i fit one in a large luggage? A luggage = 200 dollars extra on the airplane. So, i am kinda confused. Maybe i should look for smaller kayaks. Something like that would be great http://www.bicsport.com/images/YAKKAir1-Bag_Website.jpg . I guess you are experienced on kayaks. I might send you a message, before picking one.

Fishing in GA rocks. The coastal areas have a variety of offerings and N GA is loaded with trout and the Piedmont (think middle to North GA) area is great for bass (largemouth, smallies, stripers and spotted). I've got a pond of course and access to another pond that I call "The Pen" because there are so many 5+ pound largemouth bass it's silly.

I will PM you on this forum so we can exchange email addresses and learn dates you are starting and ending your trip. To get an idea when you may be in the GA area.

With respect to KAYAKS if your funds can afford it do research into inflatables in the $400-700 range. You CAN pick up a much less expensive inflatable, but it is likely to be less stable, terrible tracking, less room, less durable, etc. To avoid losing yourself and or your gear in the drink I recommend looking at this YAK for your first inflatable YAK:
The Straight Edge Angler http://www.amazon.com/Advance-Elements-A...ight+edge+kayak

It weighs 41 pounds and so it fits within the 50LB baggage limit?

It folds down into its own carry bag and the folded dimensions are: 30 inches by 17 inches by 10 inches. So that totals 57 inches which is less than the 62 inches suitcase check baggage limit. So in theory it fits dimensions and weight limits.

This yak is also an open yak allowing you the easiest and fastest means to escape for any reason. You can and will get wet(ter) in the open design, but for a newbie safety and stability are paramount so I think it is a serious contender for you.

You may download the manual and read about its features here:
http://www.airkayaks.info/StraitEdgeKayak2011.pdf

You can see many pictures here that show many people fishing from this yak and how they leverage it for all types of fishing:

https://www.google.com/search?site=&...007.EK0GoIv0UP4
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/05/15 03:35 AM
Bill, get used to it from JerKB. If misery likes misery, figure it out.
Hopefully Fatif is savy enough to not let one negative person(?) ruin this thread.
Posted By: JKB Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/05/15 11:35 AM
A good bet for Muskie fishing in Michigan is Lake St. Clair.

It's shallow and you can get on it with a small boat or kayak.

A 24hr all species license is $10.00. Muskie are C&R unless you have a harvest tag, which are free.
Posted By: Fatih Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/05/15 01:35 PM
First of all guys. I will be charged extra 1000 dollars , only for being 24(under 25) . Anybody can help me with that?(Maybe you know someone to help me?)

BobbyRice , thank you. PM sent.

Liquid i will be landing to JFK. The place you mentioned is real far away from me.

Bocomo, thanks. It will really be the trip of a lifetime smile . I should use my chance very well. I will be flying to either MI or IN. No worries.

Bocomo, Keith, Pat and Dave please don't try to seduce me to be on your route laugh . But danggggg... That's sounds delicious. Meeting all of you and casting to all your ponds. I wouldn't probably need to pay for hotels too. Hehe.

Let's make a little calculation: 7 days in MI and IN + 1 day driving + 7 days in NC + 1 day driving + 3-4 days in GA and SC + 1 day driving + 7 days in FL = Less than 30 days. I tell you what... I don't know if everything goes like this but unless i love a place and stay there much longer , i might have a good shot to be in Texas. I just don't know how to drive there? Too far away... Should be 3 days of driving for my sleepy eyes. Leaving the car in FL and flying to TX and rent another one there, will be little too costy for me but let's see...

Keith , would you seriously like to join me?

Bill and Basslover , if i will leave the kayak in the USA why pay 500 dollars? Extra baggage prices are just so sick. Guess i should find someone to sell it before leaving. Sure i would like to buy a decent one.

Basslover i know GA is very good for fishing. Can't wait to fish together. I definitely want to go with advanced elements. My researches say it is the best for this price range. I might consider leaving the pump and paddles in the USA, to get the weight down a little.

JKB, thanks. This is one of the destinations.

Bob, i guess he was kidding smile .

Posted By: djstauder Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/05/15 02:07 PM
Fatih, I assume you're talking about $1000 extra for a car rental cause you're 24??? If so, I "thought" that enterprise had a lower age limit at one time. You may want to give them a look.
Posted By: RER Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/05/15 03:16 PM
If you ae around Michigan during the summer I have a lake house very near the upper peninsula and you are welcome to stop in. It has great fishing and is a very beautiful place.
Posted By: esshup Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/05/15 03:17 PM
Fatih, fly into Indianapolis or Chicago vs. Detroit. It's closer to me. I believe that if you have an international drivers license it will make things easier. See what you can do about insurance outside of the rental car company vs. using theirs - it might be less expensive. I have a client here that I can ask.

I'd do more research in the inflatable kayak, and you can send it back home after your trip here, or see what it would cost as extra baggage.

Lake Webster is NE Indiana.

Definitely make it to Texas if you can, the area just east of Dallas is the LMB capitol - LOTS of places to fish. There's many PB members here too.
Posted By: Chris Steelman Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/05/15 03:35 PM
Fatih,

If you have enough money think about buying a car and then selling it before you leave. Had some friends of a friend from England come over for several months last year and buy a car while they were here. Something to look into.
Posted By: basslover Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/05/15 04:20 PM

Let's make a little calculation: 7 days in MI and IN + 1 day driving + 7 days in NC + 1 day driving + 3-4 days in GA and SC + 1 day driving + 7 days in FL = Less than 30 days. I tell you what... I don't know if everything goes like this but unless i love a place and stay there much longer , i might have a good shot to be in Texas. I just don't know how to drive there? Too far away... Should be 3 days of driving for my sleepy eyes. Leaving the car in FL and flying to TX and rent another one there, will be little too costy for me but let's see...

Definitely talk with anyone you're looking to meet up with and compare schedules, set out a tentative calendar, look at the traditional weather forecast for those areas during that time frame, AND (AND THIS IS KEY) look at what you're fallback plan will be if anything happens. Example; life. smile You're to meet someone, but there's a death in the family, an illness, etc. You can't plan for everything, but have an idea of what you can do if something outside of your control happens. I did this a lot for international travel. So if you can travel to an area wherein there are 2 or more things to do in the event that one falls through you're not left holding an empty sack.

Bill and Basslover , if i will leave the kayak in the USA why pay 500 dollars? Extra baggage prices are just so sick. Guess i should find someone to sell it before leaving. Sure i would like to buy a decent one.

Oh I wouldn't leave the kayak unless it was cost prohibitive for you to take back with you. Find out what the airline extra bag fee is then find out what shipping will be, you may find it cheaper to simply ship it versus paying the airline extra bag fee(or vice versa).

Basslover i know GA is very good for fishing. Can't wait to fish together. I definitely want to go with advanced elements. My researches say it is the best for this price range. I might consider leaving the pump and paddles in the USA, to get the weight down a little.

Advanced Elements is a solid choice. If you have to or choose to resell it you should be able to sell it without a lot of work. If it looks like you're going to need to sell it consider advertising it wherever your final destination is in advance so you have time to work a deal out.
Posted By: Fatih Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/05/15 09:25 PM
djstauder , i check almost all companies. So far Alamo seems to have most reasonable prices. But even they charge 800 bucks for underage.

So Bobby, are you going to be in FL or MI during my visit? smile Confused...

And finally, Scott walks in. Scott, we didn't have a chance to really talk on my visit. Do you think you will be available by then? I don't want to make your busy life even more complicated. About car insurance, it would be great if you could ask that guy about it.
Shipping the kayak back to Turkey isn't as easy as it sounds. When the price of the item is over 100 dollars, you have to pay taxes. And you might not even get your item, ever. Maybe i should sell my 500 bucks kayak for 250 dollars before heading back. I am sure there will be some buyers.
I seriously started considering getting to Texas. Just can't figure how...

Chris , i considered this but an all right car shouldn't cost less than 8-10 grands. Plus insurance and all the paper work. I don't know if it's worth to try.

Basslover, you should set out a tentative calendar too, for my visit. You know... This overcurious man can be a dinner to a bear or gator anytime smile .
What if i carried the kayak bag as a carry on bag in the cabin? Will they buy it?
I can take 2 baggages with me in the airplane. If i don't have whole lot of items to fill up 2 baggages(which probably will) , i won't pay too much extra for the kayak.
You can't find a decent inflatable kayak like this in Turkey too. Definitely wanna take it back.

Posted By: Yolk Sac Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/05/15 10:10 PM
I seriously started considering getting to Texas. Just can't figure how...

Come through Nashville. Excellent striper/hybrid fishing in the summer. And we have a very good Turkish restaurant.
Posted By: RER Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/05/15 10:53 PM
depends on when you come, th lake house is always available to you to stop in and visit and fish. I can have a local buddy show you around.

Pinecrest is a very neat place to stay and the fishing is great!
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/05/15 11:34 PM
Fatih,

Just a thought, a lot of places require life vests or other flotation device to be on public waters. You might want to buy one suitable for kayaking when you buy the kayak.

Bill D.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/05/15 11:58 PM
Keith , would you seriously like to join me?

Fatih, I would learn more from you than you would from me because I would want to know all about you and your culture, but to travel a route meeting these folks, and the experiences along the way, would truly be,,,,, the creation of a good novel? wink.

A great experience!!!

PM me with dates as I'd love to see if I could work this out!

Keith
Posted By: CMM Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/06/15 12:13 AM
Fatih, depending on the dates, I have a 4 acre pond with lm and bg along with an extra room. If you travel through Missouri on your journey, you are very welcome to stay. So long as you share some of your adventures.

Your trip is certainly something most of us will never do. Enjoy!

CMM
Posted By: Rainman Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/06/15 01:47 AM
Same goes for me as with CMM, Fatih. I don't have my own pond anymore, but could get you access to several very nice fisheries in the St Louis, Missouri area.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/06/15 02:59 AM

Rainman and Pat... Haha laugh . Is it really dangerous?

Yes sir, it can be! I was seining a pond in southern Alabama when the net hung up. I learned that I can run on water when a 5' long gator tangled in the seine lifted its head and snapped at me.....I sure was glad I had the excuse of being in water for my soaking wet pants!!!
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/06/15 03:36 PM
Rainman
That was the kind o surprise one can do without im thinkin. And those critters can get quite intimidating.

Pat
Posted By: basslover Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/06/15 04:27 PM
Basslover, you should set out a tentative calendar too, for my visit. You know... This overcurious man can be a dinner to a bear or gator anytime smile .
What if i carried the kayak bag as a carry on bag in the cabin? Will they buy it?
I can take 2 baggages with me in the airplane. If i don't have whole lot of items to fill up 2 baggages(which probably will) , i won't pay too much extra for the kayak.
You can't find a decent inflatable kayak like this in Turkey too. Definitely wanna take it back.

How do your authorities verify the value of an item you bring back? Do they go by the MSRP / Retail value, or a receipt showing payment?

In other words, if you had a receipt showing payment for a used kayak at $95 (or $150 if that amount didn't cost too much import fee) would that be sufficient "proof"?
Posted By: Fatih Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/06/15 10:44 PM
Yolk Sac , i would really love to do that. Especially hybrid striped bass. Are we talking about Nashville , Tenessee?

Bobby, all right. I will let you know before i get to MI and FL and we will work something out. Thank you smile .

Bill, i didn't know that. I will. Thanks.

Keith, good to know someone is interested in my culture smile . PM sent.

CMM and Rainman, you people are great. I don't know why you are so eager to host a stranger, but thanks a lot. Once again, it is not on my route, but if anything changes i will sure stop by and enjoy your hospitality.

Pat and Rainman, i checked some statistics and in Florida only 26 people were killed by gators in the last 50 years. These numbers mean that dogs were responsible for much more fatalities than gators smile . I guess i am safe , hehe.

Basslover, the problem is that everybody tries to do that and custom officers are very experienced with that. They can smell the actual price of an item, easily. It's very hard to fool them. And this happens only if you ship the item. If the item is with me on the plane , no problem at all. Just too costy.

Posted By: basslover Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/06/15 11:16 PM
Fatih -

That yak will fit in a checked bag, but too large for carry on at 57 inches.

If your authorities will allow it in with you in checked luggage I would check it and bring it back. Even if that means you leave most of your clothes behind - because clothes are easier for you to replace than purchase this yak in your home country?

That is presuming you utilize only a single checked bag. If you can afford two, then the second bag will hold your new yak.
Posted By: JKB Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/06/15 11:21 PM
Just out of curiosity, your signature says this:

"Look at my user name again. You will notice , it is not what you think it is smile."

I've looked it up and it means a number of things.

Just curious is all to the reference and what the meaning is.

I work with people from other countries from time to time and the translations usually don't come over that well. One word can mean many things. I guess that's how Lawyers came into play.

Best wishes on your trip!
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/06/15 11:22 PM
Originally Posted By: JKB
Just out of curiosity, your signature says this:

"Look at my user name again. You will notice , it is not what you think it is smile."

I've looked it up and it means a number of things.

Just curious is all to the reference and what the meaning is.

I work with people from other countries from time to time and the translations usually don't come over that well. One word can mean many things. I guess that's how Lawyers came into play.

Best wishes on your trip!

Don't know for sure but I assumed a lot of us Americans were guilty of just glancing at his name and seeing it as "Faith." I know I did the first time I saw it.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/06/15 11:36 PM
JKB
Bill is right- for a while people were calling him Faith

Pat W
Posted By: Yolk Sac Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/06/15 11:45 PM
Yolk Sac , i would really love to do that. Especially hybrid striped bass. Are we talking about Nashville , Tenessee?

Yes, Nashville Tennessee. You're welcome anytime. Efes and Efes Dark already in the fridge.

Pat and Rainman, i checked some statistics and in Florida only 26 people were killed by gators in the last 50 years. These numbers mean that dogs were responsible for much more fatalities than gators smile . I guess i am safe , hehe.

Fatih, existing in close proximity to Rainman is far more likely to be dangerous to your health than any alligator. It makes me a little nervous from time to time that he's in the same time zone as I.

Posted By: Rainman Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/07/15 12:25 AM

Fatih, I am sure those statistics were of deaths actually witnessed and verified. Who knows where all those missing hikers and swimmers out alone went. Not to mention all the one handed, one armed, or 3 fingered characters running around that survived....I AM joking with you to some degree, but the dangers of serious injuries are very real in many parts of Florida. A gator may not kill many, but they do bite many.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/07/15 12:32 AM
Originally Posted By: Yolk Sac

Fatih, existing in close proximity to Rainman is far more likely to be dangerous to your health than any alligator. It makes me a little nervous from time to time that he's in the same time zone as I.

That was just harsh!!!! One large explosion in central Missouri,, a slightly smaller one in northern Arkansas, a couple holes in a PVC pipe that improved flow capacity in Lincoln Nebraska, a few ruts near ponds (multiple states), a SMALL hole in Cody's Ohio home and a slightly skinned up Tennessee tree, and that makes me a danger?!?!?!? Okay...I concede your point, but it's still harsh!

Posted By: JKB Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/07/15 12:32 AM
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
JKB
Bill is right- for a while people were calling him Faith

Pat W

I guess you guy's need glasses because I've never seen that.

It means quite a bit in Turkish language and most predominately as a conqueror, overcoming to the desired outcome.

People around the world think differently. Cultures are different, thoughts are different, what they expect and perceive are different to what they are communicating to you to understand.

Bottom line, is it get's lost in the translation.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/07/15 12:35 AM
Fatih, PM Sent!

Here's a list of the States you've already been offered to visit(?):

West Virginia
Virginia
Maryland
Illinois
Indiana
Tennessee
Missouri
Florida
Mississippi
Nebraska
And of course Texas, which would be a must!

And it's possible the list could grow by June!

What a trip this could be and I really hope I can swing it, if you could put up with a Nebraskan!

Keith
Posted By: JKB Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/07/15 12:36 AM
Originally Posted By: Rainman

That was just harsh!!!! One large explosion in central Missouri,, a slightly smaller one in northern Arkansas, a couple holes in a PVC pipe that improved flow capacity in Lincoln Nebraska, a few ruts near ponds (multiple states), a SMALL hole in Cody's Ohio home and a slightly skinned up Tennessee tree, and that makes me a danger?!?!?!? Okay...I concede your point, but it's still harsh!

Hell, I didn't know open season was on REX wink
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/07/15 02:28 AM
Fatih, you need to reconsider your trip. Come to Texas first and then consider which of the lesser States that you want to visit.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/07/15 02:32 AM
Fatih,

If you go to Texas first, be sure to keep some of the fish ya catch. You can use them for bait when yer Muskie fishin up North! grin

Just joking, please keep us up to date as you travel. If you are coming within a few hours of me, I know I'll make an effort to come meet you and maybe wet a line.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/07/15 02:33 AM
DD1

WELL SAID

Pat W
Posted By: JKB Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/07/15 02:45 AM
If any snow falls, don't plan on going anyplace for days on end (personal communication), and those Walmart candles, come in handy for heat wink
Posted By: Zep Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/07/15 02:55 AM
If any snow falls

He's coming in June.
Posted By: JKB Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/07/15 03:06 AM
It ain't June today wink
Posted By: Yolk Sac Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/07/15 04:17 PM

Nothing against Rex, just trying to avoid a Regretable International Incident with one of our NATO allies.....I don't think the Turkish Consulate would take too kindly to reports that one of their nationals had been vaporized while visiting the Amercan midwest.
Posted By: JKB Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/07/15 06:18 PM
Well Fatih, I have a surprise for you. wink

I waited till esshup responded to a PM, and he is in!!

Looks like we will be playing on Lake Michigan, full day charter out of West Michigan, and I'm scoping out Captains at the moment, and it should be an event.

Esshup said he could probably get another person for the 4 person outing, but one slot may be open, if not, for about $200.00 for others to join. I have your costs covered.

Posted By: Fatih Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/07/15 07:34 PM
basslover, 57 inches? What the heck. Yeah. Can't walk in the plane with such a bag.

JKB, folks confused my name with "Faith" . This was the reason. But i loved that "Faith" name either. Very classy.

Yolk ,hehe. I am still working on my route. Thanks a lot for the offer.

Rainman , i have been reading some safety instructions to not become amputated by a gator.

Dave i guess i am gonna do it. I assume that all the guys insisted me to be in Texas were actually inviting me over laugh . Or am i too optimistic? Haha.

Bill D. , i am about to lose my mind. I have been invited from at least 10 states. I don't want to miss the opportunity to meet any of you and cast any of your ponds, but i don't have all the time i need. Thank you very much for your offer.

JKB , are you seriousssssssssss? laugh My costs are covered? Thanks but i could cover all your costs , if you asked me. Because this is much more of a pleasure than i could ask for. Thanks for doing this sir.
Posted By: JKB Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/07/15 09:19 PM
I haven't been out on the lake in a while so it will be a fun trip.

Posted By: JKB Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/08/15 10:06 AM

JKB , are you seriousssssssssss? laugh My costs are covered? Thanks but i could cover all your costs , if you asked me. Because this is much more of a pleasure than i could ask for. Thanks for doing this sir.

Totally serious! A day on the lake will be fun and especially want to do this again before I'm fitted for a pine box.
Posted By: esshup Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/08/15 12:36 PM
Fatih, you need to reconsider your trip. Come to Texas first and then consider which of the lesser States that you want to visit.

Keep it up Dave, and I'll visit you before I leave. Anything not up on high ground will get washed away. laugh It's sprinkling here again.............
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/09/15 10:42 AM
You can head to Bowie Texas anytime. We've gotten some moisture there but not even close to being enough to make a difference.

It's been misting and sprinkling here but, other than making for a kinda gloomy day, only got 1/10 inch in the gauge.
Posted By: esshup Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/09/15 01:40 PM
Be careful what you ask for - they're talking about flooding near Mineola..... laugh
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/09/15 02:00 PM
Yeah, that happens in East Texas. Never West Of Dallas.
Posted By: orgeranyc Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/10/15 02:01 AM
Faith
Sometimes you can get a cheeper car rental outside of the airport

Call this one if it's cheaper I can pick u up at JFK
and drive you over to pick up your car
I live 5 minutes away

Are you visiting NYC on your trip ??
If so let me know
I can give you a tour or instructions on how to get around via the subway

Also if it works out we can take you stripped bass fishing in Jamaica bay
One of the best striped bass fishing spots in the world
Believe I or not between the A train draw bridge and Kennedy airport is a killer spot

OZONE PARK Car Rental
Enterprise Rent-A-Car
OZONE PARK
86-02 ROCKAWAY BLVD
OZONE PARK, NY 11416-2100

Tel.: (718) 835-2500
New Search or Show Nearest Locations
View Map
Business Hours
for the week of Mar 9, 2015
Open Close
Monday 7:30 am 6:00 pm
Tuesday 7:30 am 6:00 pm
Wednesday 7:30 am 6:00 pm
Thursday 7:30 am 6:00 pm
Friday 7:30 am 6:00 pm
Saturday 9:00 am 1:00 pm
Sunday Closed Check Rental Car Rates for OZONE PARK
Return to a different location.

1. Dates & Times

Start

End

2. Your Age

Optional: Coupon, Customer, or Corporate Number

Loyalty Programs

This Enterprise Rent-A-Car location is at: 86-02 ROCKAWAY BLVD, OZONE PARK, NY 11416-2100 Tel.: (718) 835-2500
Rent a Car | Used Cars For Sale | Manage Your Fleet | Careers | About Us | Contact Us
Posted By: highflyer Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/10/15 02:28 AM
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Fatih,

If you go to Texas first, be sure to keep some of the fish ya catch. You can use them for bait when yer Muskie fishin up North! grin

Just joking, please keep us up to date as you travel. If you are coming within a few hours of me, I know I'll make an effort to come meet you and maybe wet a line.

Bill,
How big of an ice auger do you need in June to be able to fish? Or do you just get on the icebreaker and head out to open water? I could see if you were talking about late August, then maybe you could safely use your boat before the lakes refreezes.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/10/15 05:44 AM

Nothing against Rex, just trying to avoid a Regretable International Incident with one of our NATO allies.....I don't think the Turkish Consulate would take too kindly to reports that one of their nationals had been vaporized while visiting the Amercan midwest.

LOL, not another RRI! Man, I needed that Yolkie
Posted By: Fatih Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/10/15 03:52 PM
orgeranyc, that would be so great. Thank you so much for the offer. I didn't know how to get out of the airport to rent a car. And i would actually love to go on a striped bass fishing trip. That would be so awesome. If you can PM me your contact info, i will soon be bothering you smile . Checking the prices at Ozone. Thanks.

highflyer, so are you saying there will still be ice on the lake in June???
Posted By: highflyer Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/10/15 05:58 PM
Yes
Posted By: Fatih Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/10/15 06:34 PM
Brian, a friend told me you Texas guys and Northern guys pick on each other all the time. So i guess this was a part of it smile .
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/10/15 08:20 PM
Fatih

That is definitely the north/ south thing to pick. All in fun.

Pat
Posted By: JKB Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/11/15 12:27 AM
Texas people have to pick on Northern people. It's in their blood.

Then they hire a Northern person to make stuff work wink
Posted By: Zep Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/11/15 01:13 AM

But JKB the Yanks must like it...as many as have moved down here! wink
Posted By: JKB Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/11/15 01:32 AM
Originally Posted By: Zep

But JKB the Yanks must like it...as many as have moved down here! wink

They were just bailing out when the economy collapsed up here.

When automotive dumped, a lot of people left the state. Companies were dropping like flies. One day you wake up and find the doors closed with no advance notice. Happened to quite a few people.
Posted By: Zep Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/11/15 02:13 AM
JKB I've worked with quite a few Northern transplants over the years. Most of the ones that I've met that fled the North are pretty good hard working folks. Except for talking "funny" when they first get here like calling a "creeeeek" a "crick" or a "roooof" a "ruff" they're mostly ok. laugh
Posted By: JKB Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/11/15 02:43 AM
Keep loosing my posts.

Michigan Charter is going to include Fatih, Lovingliving, Esshup, and myself.

It will be toward the end of the trip, so good timing.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/11/15 03:56 AM
Keep loosing my posts.

Michigan Charter is going to include Fatih, Lovingliving, Esshup, and myself.

It will be toward the end of the trip, so good timing.

Thank you, JKB! My bucket list is about to get much shorter! This is crazy, and I know Fatih is overwhelmed with the offers and generosity so many of you have shown!

Fatih and I Skyped (that is so cool!) for nearly an hour today, and what a neat guy! I'm also lucky enough to be able to travel with him for around 30 days of his trip, likely beginning in GA (unless he changes his mind after our Skype visit wink ).

This guy wants to fish!!! And catch as many different species as possible, making a documentary along the way to show his friends and family back in Turkey who don't have the same fish/fishing opportunities that we do.

There are many states Fatih would like to visit so once he has a list narrowed down, which so far may include NY, VA, GA, the Carolina's, FL (Miami for Peacock Bass), possibly TX (and who knows what in between), IN, IL, MI, etc., I may be asking for some help or direction from anyone willing to be on a calling list if we're in your area, for recommended fishing/fishing holes, and to be sure we don't end up somewhere we don't want to be!

This is Fatih's trip and I'm lucky enough to be along for the ride, and will not impose on offers any of you make with Fatih, but also want to help when and wherever I can!

Thanks in advance and I'm sure Fatih (or myself) will keep you posted!

PB Rocks!
Posted By: esshup Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/11/15 11:16 AM
Put me in the ranks of the transplants, at least temporarily. I just wish the summers weren't so dang hot.

Zep, I don't talk near as funny as some guys that I hunted with over in TN that grew up in the hills and hollers. laugh
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/11/15 11:25 PM
Yep, there's a difference. Southerners think fast but talk slow.

Yankees? Well, never mind I can't hear as fast as they talk.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/12/15 01:00 AM
Yep, there's a difference. Southerners think fast but talk slow.

Yankees? Well, never mind I can't hear as fast as they talk.

Us Yankees tolerate these slow talking crazies like Dave, but we also love them like brothers. They are amongst our closest circle of friends.

Faith -- I'm glad you got to spend time in our country before your upcoming trip. We may joke with each other over small things, and this has to include our very close Canadian friends and neighbors. No matter what the international news might say about us, we remain very friendly with all, and accept nearly every one.

I'm hoping I can get to meet you on your voyage.

Ken
Posted By: Zep Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/12/15 10:58 AM
Originally Posted By: esshup
I just wish the summers weren't so dang hot.

me too esshup. I hate both weather extremes.
my brother in San Fran tells me I should move out there.
i like San Fran but could never do that.
Posted By: JKB Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/15/15 12:16 AM
Dates are narrowing down. Hopefully a schedule soon, but MI appears to be the last destination on the trip. Save the best for last wink

Spark,
You want in on this? You can ride up with Scott and have my slot.

I'll be there keeping an eye on the pilot wink

Sorta cleaned my apartment and ended up with a box full of money, so the charter is covered for everyone.

Spark, it would be a pleasure!
Posted By: CMM Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/15/15 02:42 AM
JKB,

I offered Fatih a room in West Central Missouri if needed. His traveling companions are welcome. Sounds like you guys are going to have a blast.
Cmm
Posted By: JKB Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/15/15 05:15 AM
Pretty cool CMM!

This needs to get organized, but have a good time frame down.

From what I understand at this time is the last stop will be Lake St. Clair for Muskie.

Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/16/15 12:37 AM
Just a brief update as we will begin another thread about the "Cast-A-Ways across the U.S"., but Fatih and I have been emailing daily and have narrowed down the dates, and states we'll be traveling to, hitting various states and places in between.

Fatih will arrive in NY on June 1st, do some fishing and visiting with friends, and I will meet up with him June 11th or 12th in Georgia. From there we will travel to (possibly) Jacksonville, Miami and fish the flats and backcountry of the Florida Keys since we're so close. From there we will make our way to Texas if we can find enough places to fish, to justify the long distance. After TX we will make our way North stopping in Missouri, then to Illinois, Indiana and ultimately Michigan with Fatih needing to be back in NY around July 12th-14th. During our travels, we've decided to not set any dates completely in stone except when to arrive in MI, as we have no idea if we'll decide to stay somewhere longer than planned.

For the both of us, the excitement level is off the charts! And I wish I could be more of a fishing guide for Fatih, but we will be visiting states and places neither one of us has been before. Fishing the unknown fishes grin .

Once I can figure out a way to develop a thread showing a table or list with our tentative itinerary, I will get it posted. So any ideas on making or developing that would be appreciated.

Again, a huge thank you to those who have made various offers to help, and for any of those which are stops along the way, they too will be shown on the map/list/chart.

I'm really excited about meeting Fatih, let alone spending 30 days or more with him on this trip. So if you see that we'll be in your area, I hope you'll be able to meet him as well!

Thanks again and we'll get a new thread started soon.

Keith
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/16/15 01:06 AM
Dates are narrowing down. Hopefully a schedule soon, but MI appears to be the last destination on the trip. Save the best for last wink

Spark,
You want in on this? You can ride up with Scott and have my slot.

I'll be there keeping an eye on the pilot wink

Sorta cleaned my apartment and ended up with a box full of money, so the charter is covered for everyone.

Spark, it would be a pleasure!

Just saw this. Very generous offer JKB, and I thank you! But I have a confession to make. I don't do well when I can't see shore...and not that kind of shore that the mate points to when you ask him, either.

Shore, REAL shore, has rocks and trees and dirt. It's not a supermodel-thin sliver of brown, barely distinguishable against the horizon between the water and the sky.

Matter-of-fact, when on a boat I'm most comfortable when I can still easily identify the species of tree.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/16/15 01:22 AM
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Matter-of-fact, when on a boat I'm most comfortable when I can still easily identify the species of tree.

I kind a like to be close enough to those trees I can still screw up and hang my bait in the branches when I cast...... grin
Posted By: Zep Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/16/15 02:47 AM
I have a confession to make. I don't do well when I can't see shore...

me2 sprkplug

2EachHisOwn but i took my last deep sea fishing trip a couple of years ago

I knew I was in trouble when the lady behind the counter stated
"we really shouldn't be going out today but after being too rough
the last 2 days we need the money
"

it took about 3 hours to get out to where we were going to fish
lots of people sea-sick puking
luckily i didn't get sick
but the all day trip ended with me not even wetting a hook

i'll take the bayou with gators any day over the deep sea stuff
Posted By: gully washer Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/16/15 05:02 AM
The only time in my life that I have actually entertained the thought of committing suicide was during my one and only offshore fishing trip.................... Since that day, eating at Long John Silver’s is the closest I've come to offshore fishing, or suicide.

Good luck on your road trip, guys..... Sounds like fun. smile
Posted By: JKB Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/16/15 10:17 AM
Understandable Spark.

I can't tell you how many charters we've taken out, but can say it's not for everyone.

Most people enjoy themselves and have fun, but people do get sick, and it can be like a chain reaction on others.

There have been a couple of times that we've never made it much past the pier and had to turn around. Everyone got sick.

I doubt we'll be more than a couple miles out in July, you can still see shore, but it could also get rough.

A good captain will put you on fish, and not take chances, so that's why you need someone with experience.
Posted By: Zep Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/16/15 11:03 AM
I agree JKB...most people have a great time on the charters and catch lots of fish.
Posted By: esshup Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/16/15 12:48 PM
You guys!! smile

I used to go out on long range trips where we'd leave the dock and not get back for days. Longest one was a 10 day trip. I liked those trips. No interruptions except for fish making drags scream.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/16/15 12:55 PM
Thanks, Scott smile

That's a little more encouraging, and although I've never needed it maybe dramamine should make the trip! I guess one never knows until the time arrives.
Posted By: Zep Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/16/15 01:25 PM
maybe dramamine should make the trip!

Lovnlivin you should be fine
but I took dramamine before my deep sea trip..and it worked
I saw lots of people get sick..i think once you get sick its too late
some of them were big bad-azz biker dudes heaving over the sides
heck why not take it in advance...what can it hurt?
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/16/15 01:31 PM
I was out with a buddy of mine that actually turned green. The old Thai boat captain, apparently use to tourists getting sick, had him put on a life vest and get in the water for awhile. It actually worked and my buddy felt a lot better. Problem was convincing him he needed to get back in the boat!
Posted By: Zep Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/16/15 01:49 PM
Bill that's a neat concept...never heard of that.

I think I read somewhere if you stare at the horizon it helps.

Many years ago I got sick as a dog just going out
to Catalina Island off the Cali coast, but I was
hung-over that morning and when I got on the boat
I ate some donuts and fell asleep...OMG when I woke up
from my nap was I sick! Once I got on land on Catalina
I was fine and I didn't get sick on the return trip.
Posted By: JKB Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/16/15 10:03 PM
You're right Zep.

Excessive alcohol the night before played a role in a number of people getting sick, which probably would have otherwise been OK.

Clients were mailed info with what to expect, what to bring, medical conditions we need to know about..., about Dramamine, and about booze.

You could bring canned beverages on-board, and that included beer. Took out one group that was partying all night long. They had a different definition of what a can was, one big can! Well, that didn't happen, but they were well prepared with smaller cans. Three of those guy's were out sick before we got out of the channel, and the last guy wasn't standing very long once we cleared the pier head. That was our shortest trip, and these were big tough guys. I had to clean it up sick

Most people also got sick in the morning while it's still dark out. Not sure if the darkness played a major role, but you can't see too well what your body is feeling. If the lake is rough, you'll feel it going thru the channel. If you are getting queezy at that point, you might just chum the water. I can't remember too many people having a rough time on the afternoon trips, but there were a few.

I think everyone will be fine.
Try Dramamine out beforehand to see how it effects you, but check with your doc first!!! Not everyone can take that stuff.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/16/15 10:37 PM
I've spent a lot of time on the Great Lakes, inland seas like the Chesapeake Bay and Mediterranean, and the Seven Seas. I probably started before I was 5 y.o. on Lake Superior. Also six years in the U.S. Navy and a lot of hours in my teens and 20s in small private aircraft. I'm probably fortunate because my inner ears became accustomed to such motion as a very young kid.

From my experience, most people do not have a problem until things get really rough. Even then, if precautions like Dramamine, or the newer patches are used, most people don't have problems.

As said in an above post -- no, or very minimal alcohol the night before, and a non-greasy light breakfast.

Take soda crackers with you to munch on. Stay outside and look at the horizon.

Whatever you do, if you feel like you might be getting sick, don't go below decks. It will only make it worse, and you will pay a heavy monetary price for any cleanup. That is what the deck railings are for.

I sure wouldn't worry about it on Lake Michigan in June. Unless a typhoon descends from Canada, the chances of heavy weather at that time of year are fairly slim.

If you don't get motion sickness in a car, on a commercial airplane, or in a kayak going down a river with lots of rapids, you will only have a problem if you let your brain say you should think about getting sick. Think -- "out of mind, out of sight".
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/16/15 10:52 PM
Try Dramamine out beforehand to see how it effects you, but check with your doc first!!! Not everyone can take that stuff.

+1 I tried it once and will not use it again. Made my hands shake so bad my wife had to bait my hook. Pretty much ruined my day.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/16/15 11:18 PM
Sounds like a great trip in the works!!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/16/15 11:38 PM
I once thought I was going to get really sick. Then I hung a big fish and forgot all about it.
Posted By: JKB Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/17/15 12:33 AM
Pretty much Ken.

We would tell people to sit down and don't think about it, which worked at times, but once you hit the cabin and laid down, that could be your detriment, and a miserable trip.

I've seen people recover after letting the genie out of the bottle and ended up having a great day. Sometimes, it's only that initial feeling and reaction that get's them, then everything is fine.

On occasion, I would let someone feeling a tad under the weather sit by me. Show and explain the electronics and what is really going on here with the hardware out and the conditions. Take their mind off of it, because it's in your mind.

I've tossed a new wet vac in the dumpster. Didn't even want to open that one up wink
Posted By: JKB Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/17/15 12:46 AM
It really is in the mind, but physical attributes, what you are feeling, plays a big role.

Hook into something, and it's pretty much gone. That is, if you are not suffering from a night of booze. That was the biggest problem we have ever had running charters.

Not that they were problem people at all, and never had a problem, but they just blew a wad to get sick on a boat wink
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/17/15 12:59 AM
Years ago my wife and I were down in the keys and decided to take a tourist excursion out to do a little snorkeling. On he way out I got a little queasy, but once we anchored the unpleasantness throttled up full bore. When it came time to get in the water, I was afraid to move an inch for fear it would send my stomach over the edge.

My wife got in, swam with the fish, had a great time. I was too sick to even take a photo. At one point some dark clouds came in overhead, and I remember wondering if a lightning strike might put me out of my misery. No such luck.

On the way back I crawled as far out on the bow of that boat as they would let me, and rode with the wind in my face. Felt pretty good by the time we got back in, and an hour later I was hungry and ready to eat. Went great until we got back to the hotel and I laid down in bed. Wham...that bed would not hold still, felt just like the boat rocking. Barely made it to the bathroom in time.
Posted By: Zep Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/17/15 01:05 AM
I see where I went wrong years ago in Cali.

#1. Boarded ship after night of heavy drinking.

Ate donuts as soon as I boarded.

#2. Then went down below to take nap.
Posted By: JKB Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/17/15 01:16 AM
That sounds to me like a fifth of Johnny Walker Red. Oh yeah, the bed will spin at the most inappropriate moment, but kinda stuck there for a while wink

That's way back!
Posted By: Zep Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/17/15 01:29 AM
Ha Ha....about right JKB...but it was a bottle of Bacardi.

Believe it or not I also get a bit claustrophobic
on a deep sea boat...yeah it's out in the open,
but I can't "escape" I can't get off....lol.
Posted By: JKB Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/17/15 02:19 AM
I was in PR and picked up a bunch of 1873.

Rum don't even sound appealing.
Posted By: Fatih Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/19/15 01:54 PM
Guys, we have a list of 5-6 states and 6-7 people from the PB we plan to visit. Soon we will come up with a schedule and since we decided to hit to Texas , we are expecting to hear maybe another one or to invitations. Or it will be a waste of time to drive all the way from FL smile .
Posted By: esshup Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/20/15 05:45 PM
Texas is worth the drive.
Posted By: Fatih Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/20/15 07:44 PM
I didn't mean to offend Scott smile . 1400 miles of driving to any place for staying 1-2 days would be a waste of time.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/20/15 08:46 PM
1400 miles of driving

Fatih,

Most those Texas boys have driveways longer than that! grin
Posted By: fish n chips Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/20/15 08:48 PM
Is the end of the trip in Indiana? Do you fly out of there, or head back to NY. Just wondering, you might be passing by our place along the Interstate. Don't have much to offer tho in the way of fishing.
Posted By: Fatih Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/21/15 06:26 AM
fish_n_chips you have always been there to help me. I would definitely want to stop by and at least ,say "hello" smile .
Posted By: esshup Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/21/15 01:16 PM
No offence taken! Just saying that Texas is worth the trip but I agree, no place is worth the drive if the drive to and from takes longer than the time you will be there.
Posted By: JKB Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/21/15 04:34 PM
MDNR report from yesterday said the Steelhead are starting to move in.

Next should be Coho (Pacific Salmon) While excellent eating and top notch if smoked, I really don't want to get into a jack run. You could limit out with legal, but small fish. Not much fight.

We always targeted Chinook (Kings), and a good Captain will put you on them, despite what else is going on.

People want the excitement of a fight, and a King will give that.

July 7th is the date I am setting. It's the one year anniversary of my BIL passing away, and he was a Top Notch Captain!!! Always caught fish and took care of everyone.

2 charters for the same day are in the works now wink

Anyone else want to get in on this? I'm not paying for more than two charters, but if you guy's want to organize and hit the lake, not a problem. Need to know pretty quick tho.
Posted By: basslover Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/21/15 05:33 PM
Fatih -

Do you have dates or an idea of when you might be stopping in Georgia? I figure you may want to do some bass fishin?

Posted By: JKB Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/21/15 08:05 PM
Pretty cool BL cool

But, that's the size you want your feeder fish for Muskie.
Posted By: Fatih Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/21/15 08:49 PM
Here goes JKB again laugh laugh laugh .

JKB , July 7th sounds perfect. I am sorry for your loss.
Posted By: fish n chips Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/21/15 08:54 PM
Fatih, my area isn't known to be a muskie go-to spot for fishing, but I know the guy who makes the Musky Train lures. He lives, and his workshop, is very close to me.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/21/15 09:10 PM
Pretty cool BL cool

But, that's the size you want your feeder fish for Muskie.

Yeah, but here is a minnow from my main pond, along with a treble hook we use for our fish!

grin
Posted By: Fatih Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/21/15 09:29 PM
Guys stop messing with each other! smile

I will be fishing at least 6 states, in South and North. As an objective stranger , let me see which part of the USA is the real KING in terms of fishing.

I will also film a documentary during our trip. Our lines will be cast even as we are sleeping in the tent. So we will take every chance to catch the largest one smile .

Posted By: JKB Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/21/15 11:13 PM
That's really funny Ken laugh
Posted By: JKB Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/23/15 12:01 AM
We're in solid for the 7th on the "Old Grin".

Catch & Cook at the "Old Boys Brewhouse", just across the river.

Night show:

Yep, this is going to be fun!!!
Posted By: vosler Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/23/15 12:44 AM
Really cool! I love One Republic...now even more!
Posted By: JKB Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 03/23/15 01:29 AM
I hope Fatih and the boys have some free time to test out another method of getting motion sickness:

Posted By: JKB Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 04/03/15 03:25 AM
Everything is just getting better.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 04/03/15 01:45 PM
We're getting many things finalized and I'll soon have another thread started when we get an idea of when we'll be at each stop and who we're visiting and/or meeting up with. And although from day one we'll pretty much be flying by the seat of our pants we hope to stay somewhat on a schedule.

Here's a preliminary map once we meet up in Atlanta around June 8th and ending at Lake St. Clair around July 12th, where Fatih will fly back to NY and I'll head back to Lincoln frown .

http://mapq.st/1BXLmd9

And we're hoping to find some stops between the Florida Keys and TX to break up the long drive.

The support and offers we've received so far have been overwhelming and we can't thank you all enough! I know I couldn't be more excited but Fatih's excitement level is off the charts!

Keith
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 04/06/15 03:53 AM
Everything is just getting better.

Sounds like a great fishing trip Phil! I am sure Fatih will have great memories for years to come!
Posted By: JKB Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 04/19/15 05:03 PM
I'm glad this was booked and confirmed early.

Inquired about a date today in late August and they only had 4 days open for the whole month, so I picked the 26th to take my brothers and a nephew out.

Spark would not like it tho. Could be far enough out that direct eye contact with land may be impaired.

The fish are bigger tho grin wink
Posted By: JKB Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 04/28/15 02:07 AM
I'll be able to bring you guy's up on the hill and show you around. The PLC 5 to Logix platform conversion turned out pretty well with the interns converting it over, and it will get better as time passes with the new system. They did a good job!

An airport behind my apt.

This is interesting, but they should have gone North and Out.
Posted By: CMM Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 04/28/15 12:21 PM
Lovinlivin and Fatih, I see Windsor MO on your map!!! Yeah! Can't wait to visit with you both and be a part of your exciting adventure.

CMM
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 04/29/15 03:38 AM
JKB, that place looks incredible!

CMM - Thanks for letting us put you on the map! You'll be on our route from TX, after hopefully meeting up with Fireishot, Dave Davidson (and maybe others I'm missing?) and possibly Mr. Lusk as well, hopefully some Striper fishing on Lake Texoma, then after meeting you hopefully catch Rainman in St. Louis, then off to Illinois and Indiana to meet up with Cecil, Esshup, & Bob-O before heading to Michigan to meet up with JKB and everything he has planned including the charter on Lake Michigan with Scott (Esshup) as well.

Fatih will do some fishing in the Carolina's and GA before we meet up on June 9, then head to and fish Miami, the Keys and after leaving there, heading West, whatever else we can find off I-10 through AL, MS and LA before heading North from Lafayette, LA to East TX.

Lot's of planning, a lot of unknown's, all foreign areas to both of us and still wondering how we'll fit all our stuff in a Toyota Rav4 crazy .

We'll know more about [tentative] dates as we finalize some things on Fatih's to-do list and get a little closer, and we'll also start a new thread as we begin our journey/adventure.

Thank you all so much for all of your various and generous offers! And any other ideas, tips, or suggestions are welcome!

Keith

PS - Fatih and I really want to eat some good southern crawfish so if anyone down south knows of a good stop off I-10 between Tallahassee, FL and Lafayette, LA please let us know!
Posted By: Fatih Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 04/29/15 05:04 PM
Guys, i recommend you to visit JKB , if you pass near his place. All he has been planning for us is just amazing smile .

CMM we are very excited to meet you as well smile.

Keith, i already forgot about our destinations smile . Glad i have you. Otherwise , that trip would be a total mess for me.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 04/29/15 06:39 PM
Keith, i already forgot about our destinations smile . Glad i have you. Otherwise , that trip would be a total mess for me.

Fatih, surely you remember our destinations:
Hawaii
Bermuda
Cancun
Caribbean islands and
Aruba

I can't believe you forgot grin grin grin
Posted By: Rainman Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 04/29/15 07:14 PM
I spoke with one of our quieter PBF members and secured permission for some smallie fishing if I am in town when you come through....just finished up a 3000 miles run, today.
Posted By: Fatih Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 04/29/15 08:46 PM
Keith, you skipped Fiji laugh .

Rainman , we had no plans for crappies in our schedule. So, that's good news smile .
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 04/29/15 09:59 PM
Smallies, Fatih, Smallies! smile Not Crappies!

Wow, that's great, Rainman thank you, and please thank our quieter PBF member as well!

We'll likely be in your area around the 1st of July and certainly hope we can work this out! And if not and you're on the road, maybe we can track you down and at least buy you dinner smile

Thanks again!

Keith

PS to Fatih - Fiji,,, dang, I knew I was missing something!

Posted By: Fatih Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 04/30/15 05:27 AM
Smallies , but not crappies? Even better . But we should catch some crappies too, sometime.
Posted By: esshup Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 04/30/15 06:12 AM
There's crappies in the lake where you'll be staying. Now whether you can catch them is another story. wink
Posted By: Fatih Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 04/30/15 11:58 AM
There's crappies in the lake where you'll be staying. Now whether you can catch them is another story. wink
Why Scott? I got that impression they are one of the easy species to catch smile . Wrong?
Posted By: Rainman Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/02/15 03:49 PM
They are easy to catch when waters are cool and the Crappie are spawning. The rest of the year, not so easy to catch in a large body of water.
Posted By: Bocomo Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/02/15 04:38 PM
Mods, this thread needs a title change!

"Alone in the USA for 45 days" not so much any more!!!
Posted By: esshup Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/02/15 06:05 PM
^^^ What Rex said. They are relatively easy to catch around this time of year and a bit earlier, after that not so easy.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/03/15 02:17 PM
OK, title changed
Posted By: Fatih Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/04/15 07:22 PM
Thanks Dave smile .
Posted By: JKB Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/04/15 08:51 PM
It will probably get changed again to: "I'm tired of driving for 45 day's in the USA" wink
Posted By: Huntmaster Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/06/15 01:48 PM
PS - Fatih and I really want to eat some good southern crawfish so if anyone down south knows of a good stop off I-10 between Tallahassee, FL and Lafayette, LA please let us know!

What an epic adventure...

Any plans for hitting walleye on Lake Erie while you are in town? It is the walleye capital of the world...

I have a buddy that has two restaurants in the Lafayette area. I'm not sure if he has crawfish, but his pizza joint is ranked as one of the best in the country. Deno's Pizza and Teak's Sports bar
Posted By: Fatih Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/06/15 03:23 PM
JKB, i am so worried about driving , to be honest. What if the half of the trip is just driving? It would be horrible. But having 2 drivers will make you almost 2 times faster than 1. One drives while the other is sleeping...

Huntmaster, believe it or not but i was getting ready to tell Keith "we gotta fish for some walleye sometime". We have walleyes in Turkey but they exist in very few lakes and i guess they are not very resilient. It is really hard to catch one here. I really want to catch one there. We will have up to 7 days in MI and if Erie is the best one for Walleyes , we are up for it. What options do we have for fishing? Can we rent a bass boat maybe?
Posted By: Huntmaster Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/06/15 04:39 PM
Fatih,

I'm not much of a fisherman, so the only way I've ever done it is booking a charter for the day. Most guys troll for them, which can be a little boring reeling them in since the don't fight that much. If you are here when they drift fish for them, it is much better.

Erie also has good SMB that can be accessed with a small boat.

When are you planning on fishing St. Clair?
Posted By: Fatih Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/06/15 04:47 PM
Huntmaster i see what you mean.

We will be there around 7th or 8th of July.
Posted By: JKB Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/20/15 03:17 PM
JKB, i am so worried about driving , to be honest. What if the half of the trip is just driving? It would be horrible. But having 2 drivers will make you almost 2 times faster than 1. One drives while the other is sleeping...

Huntmaster, believe it or not but i was getting ready to tell Keith "we gotta fish for some walleye sometime". We have walleyes in Turkey but they exist in very few lakes and i guess they are not very resilient. It is really hard to catch one here. I really want to catch one there. We will have up to 7 days in MI and if Erie is the best one for Walleyes , we are up for it. What options do we have for fishing? Can we rent a bass boat maybe?

I'll see what I can do to get you on some Walleye. Probably Muskegon Lake on the east end.

A really good WE honey hole about 6 miles from here was converted into a LMB "pay to drop a line" gig. Membership...

Boat for LM is full with 'fish n chips' and 'Matt Rayl' on board. Welcome guys, and lets have some fun!!!
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/21/15 06:36 PM
Hey, fish n chips and Matt Rayl on board for the Lake Michigan charter, this will be a blast! And by that time Fatih and I will have been on the ocean a few times so hopefully any motion sickness issues will be worked out by then grin (although I'm sure Lake Michigan can/will be much different!

Stay tuned for a new thread to begin soon as Fatih leaves Turkey on June 1st to arrive in NY and begin his 45 day fishing adventure in the USA!
Posted By: JKB Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/21/15 07:45 PM
Sounds way too cool! cool
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/21/15 08:24 PM
Sounds way too cool! cool

Crazy cool! Wait til you see our schedule!
Posted By: JKB Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/21/15 09:36 PM
Your schedule is gonna be cool! Cant wait!!

Posted By: Bob-O Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/21/15 11:16 PM
I believe everyone is anxious to stay tuned for updates. June l will be here very soon.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/21/15 11:32 PM
Just a thought....I'm thinking this is a perfect opportunity for a documentary. I bet some Network would love to send along a camera crew if they knew this was about to happen.
Posted By: esshup Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/22/15 12:29 AM
Bill, you are probably correct, but I don't see how that would happen now in this time frame.

With all the reality shows on TV now it would be a perfect fit.

Hopefully there won't be the drama that seems to be required in most of them.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/22/15 12:35 AM
You mean like Fatih and LL fishing in a pond they didn't know had alligators and hooking one? grin
Posted By: Bob-O Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/22/15 02:59 AM
Don't them Nately brothers or Hermans or whoever have a tv show? How bout it Nate?
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/22/15 03:16 AM
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Just a thought....I'm thinking this is a perfect opportunity for a documentary. I bet some Network would love to send along a camera crew if they knew this was about to happen.

Wow, what a thought! And although Fatih will be making a documentary of this adventure and is bringing plenty of video equipment to do so, how much better it would be if someone else were doing the filming!

I'm know I'm speaking for Fatih as well, but this trip has evolved into the most incredible adventure I have, and will ever have, the opportunity to be a part of! Which, by the way I am equally excited to meet Fatih as it has truly been a pleasure talking with him and planning this trip. A super cool guy who in about 6 months or so, will be a new daddy!

Fatih will have to fill in some blanks prior to he and I meeting in Atlanta on June 10th, but here's our itinerary at this point, with an * showing tentative dates and stops until fully confirmed. Everything else is set:

June 1st – Fatih arrives in NY then spends a few days with his host family in NC, then fishes SC with a friend.

June 8-9 - Fatih meets with Basslover for fishing

June 6th – Keith leaves Lincoln, NE to hopefully make it to Nashville on the same day.

June 7th – Keith meets Yolksac in Nashville and I will likely fish Percy Priest Lake in TN. And if Yolk's able to join me that would be even better! (Yolkie?)

June 10th – Fatih and Keith meet in Atlanta GA and start heading towards Key Largo.

June 12th – Florida Keys fishing charter with Capt. Ryan fishing the wrecks and reefs.

June 14th – 2-part Fishing charter with Capt. Thadeus for Peacock Bass in the canals near Miami the first half of the day, then we fish the Everglades the second half.

June 15th – 18th – We’re renting a houseboat for 4 days/3 nights on the St. Johns River in FL and towing along a bass boat for daytime fishing.

June 19th – Arrive in Pensacola, FL and spending the day fishing and exploring.

June 20th – We’ll be treated to a Gulf fishing charter in Pensacola by a forum member Fatih met on a Florida fishing forum.

June 22nd – Renting a small boat to fish and explore the Atchafalaya swamp river basin near Henderson, LA (yep, with the gators! smile )

* June 23rd – Meet with Fireishot (Al) in E. Texas
* June 24th - Meet Dave Davidson and possibly Bob Lusk as well
* June 25th - Guided Striper trip on Lake Texoma

June 27th – 28th – Meeting CMM in Windsor, MO

June 28/29 Possibly meet Rainman as we travel through St. Louis, MO

June 29th or 30th – July 5th – Scott's lake house in Indiana. Some time to fish and relax after a lot of driving! Scott is also hooking us up with a friend of his for a guided Muskie trip.

Prior to arriving in Grand Haven, MI we will also meet Bob-O, and hopefully Cecil and Bill Cody as well.

July 7th – Fishing charter on Lake Michigan compliments of JKB, including Scott, fish n chips, Matt Rayl, Fatih and Myself.

July 9th – Muskie Fishing charter on Lake St. Claire near Detroit with JKB, Scott, Fatih and myself, compliments of Fatih and myself for everything Scott and JKB have done for us!

July 11th – I head home from Detroit, MI.

July 13-15th Fatih will make his way back to Turkey

I apologize if I've missed anyone we were planning to meet, so please feel free to chime in as we would like to meet as many of you as possible, as our schedule permits!

Fatih and I have been communicating on daily basis for the past several weeks either online or on the phone working out details, changing and adding things on almost a daily basis with each day offering more and more excitement, and exciting things to do (although both of us exceeding our intended budget!)

To JKB, Esshup and countless others involved to this point, we can't thank you enough for all you've done, your support and your interest!

Keith and Fatih, the traveling Cast-a-ways smile

PS - As we are getting a few more things confirmed, a new thread will be started about Fatih's 45 days in the USA, where we will keep everyone posted throughout this adventure.
Posted By: esshup Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/22/15 05:16 AM
What, no snorkeling or scuba diving while in Florida? laugh
Posted By: Fatih Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/22/15 07:35 AM
Guys , i have spent a couple thousand dollars on filming equipment so far. Gopros, an audio recorder and even a 4K shooting DSLR. Plus , tons of mounts , tripods bla bla.

But hoooooooooow perfect it would be if we had a professional crew.

I know there are some important people on this forum with big balls. Help us find a crew guys ! I could even pay for a cameraman. Haha. I still have 15 days for my first cast. It shouldn't be too late!

Posted By: RER Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/22/15 11:58 AM
what area are you doing the st johns river deal. I live in st augustine right near the river. Perhaps we could meet and fish or visit.
Posted By: Fatih Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/22/15 12:16 PM
Bobby, Pm sent.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/22/15 01:39 PM
Faith, hiring a professional to edit, splice etc,etc all of your film into maybe an hr segment may be better than hiring a filmer. You know that every outdoor show you watch for an hr has been condensed from many hrs of film.
Posted By: Fatih Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/22/15 02:07 PM
But Bob what's more important than hiring someone is finding a Tv channel willing to broadcast our documentary. Editing or shooting is not the big deal part. Even if i hire a cameraman and editor how will i get it broadcasted on a tv channel?
Wow, can I come?!? My wife may divorce me, but god that sounds like fun!
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/22/15 06:23 PM
Originally Posted By: liquidsquid
Wow, can I come?!? My wife may divorce me, but god that sounds like fun!

Heck, why not! You'd be divorced and I'd be unemployed, but man we will have a great time! smile

Originally Posted By: Bob-O
Faith, hiring a professional to edit, splice etc,etc all of your film into maybe an hr segment may be better than hiring a filmer. You know that every outdoor show you watch for an hr has been condensed from many hrs of film.

Ah, but if we had a film crew along we would then have a bigger vehicle to accommodate them and all our stuff (at their expense of course) which at this point will be piled high in our rented Toyota Rav4! Anything bigger was limited miles and half the mpg.

I wonder if we'll get charged more when I turn it in if it smells "fishy" smile
Posted By: JKB Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/22/15 07:22 PM
A while back I thought about contacting a local TV station to see if they would be interested in a "public interest" type show with LM Charter Fishing, the Pure Michigan theme, Catch and Cook and all that jazz. Might be worth a shot.

If anyone else is serious about hitting the lake on July 7th, and can find 4-6 people to split the cost's. I'll put the feelers out for another boat. They can usually arrange for large groups of 15 or more boats, but it may be too late in the season to nail down that specific day. Never hurt's to ask tho!
Posted By: JKB Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/22/15 07:23 PM
I wonder if we'll get charged more when I turn it in if it smells "fishy" smile

Don't try cook your fish on the engine smile
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/22/15 07:44 PM
I'm a little worried about all the horror stories from my clients about Hertz Car Rental.

"Grumpy Old Men" may come to mind at check-in time!

PS - A PB GTG on Lake Michigan! With the "Catch and Cook" dinner to follow! How cool would that be!
Posted By: JKB Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/22/15 08:02 PM
PS - A PB GTG on Lake Michigan! With the "Catch and Cook" dinner to follow! How cool would that be!

That would just be way too cool!! cool

Posted By: Bob-O Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/22/15 09:33 PM
I was just thinking that the folks back home probably won't want to sit down and watch 20 or so hrs of unedited film. Heck, you'll probably have much more than that. The TV part I can't help you with. If you have public tv at home you could approach one of them as an educational broadcast.
Posted By: Fatih Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/24/15 01:58 PM
Bob my guess is that we will have at least 100 hours of footage.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/24/15 02:07 PM
Sounds like a potential TV mini-series!
Posted By: Fatih Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/24/15 02:45 PM
Bill it will make a great series. And not necessarily a "mini" one.

I can't decide either to speak English or Turkish in our shoot though smile . Because i will use my shot to talk with Turkish TV channels. But if i speak English, whole world can watch it.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/24/15 03:26 PM
Fatih.....the new international Bill Dance!!
Posted By: Fatih Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/24/15 03:37 PM

Haha. I would love to be the Bill Dance of Turkey. Anything might happen depending on the success of this trip smile .
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/24/15 03:46 PM
Well Faith, if ya get to my place you will have proof that there are flatland hillbillies!! Also may be your first overnight with trailer trash.
Posted By: Fatih Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/24/15 07:28 PM
Bob, i don't exactly get what you are talking about but we'll see smile .
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/24/15 07:32 PM
Fatih, we'll talk! grin

And Fatih, when you desire to be the Bill Dance of Turkey, have you seen his bloopers on YouTube?

I'm sure we'll have plenty of those too!

I foresee some interesting footage!

PS - Note to Fatih, nothing you do will get past my camera! whistle
Posted By: Fatih Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/24/15 08:05 PM
HAHAHAHAH! Maaaan , i watched this guy's videos before(without knowing who he was) and i thought they were set up.

Posted By: CMM Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/24/15 08:59 PM
I' mot sure I''m going to be able to compete with all this! I was really hoping yolk would send me three of those new fangled fishing onesies, but I haven't heard from him yet. Maybe I can come up with something. What if Fatih and Keith can hijack an Amish buggy and head down the road with fishing rods hanging out the back?
Cmm
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/24/15 11:04 PM
CMM, Fatih and I will have some time to come up with something creative, if you're not able to get the fishtitution gowns smile

Or better yet, surprise us with "here, put these on" and we'll go fishing!
Posted By: esshup Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/24/15 11:06 PM

I hope Fatih doesn't have the same number of bloopers. Bill Dance has a ton of them!! And they aren't limited to him - the camera guy was involved in a number of them.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/25/15 02:59 AM
Essup, I appreciate your concern for Fatih/Faith being naïve about American celebrities, regional terminology, customs and even the difference of pronunciation of West, East, North and South. I know nothing about Turkey except the fact that late Nov they are a prized bird. Not to mention early spring and fall.
This young man is doing what most of us would only dream of. He is coming to a foreign country and entrusting himself to some insurance yo yo that he has never met and knows nothing more about than what LL tells him. Then one of his first mistakes is to befriend you and accept an invitation to swing by and visit, stay, and trust a hilljack like myself. I do believe from previous posts that he doesn't even realize what a flatlander or hillybilly is. Holy cow what is he gonna think when he meets a REAL redneck? I ain't gonna mention names but you know who you are.
Everyone on this site should make an extreme effort to let him know that America is a hodge podge of greatness. We are all so blessed, we should try to share those blessings with him. Also remember he has no clue as to how crazy everyone but me is.
To quote Forrest, "And that's all I got ta say about that".
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/25/15 11:52 AM
Bob-O, out of everything you wrote, in a way only you could write it, I have to question the following statement:

This young man is doing what most of us would only dream of. He is coming to a foreign country and entrusting himself to some insurance yo yo that he has never met

I know of few people,,,, wait, I can't think of anyone who would dream of spending 5 weeks with an insurance yo yo crazy !

And hitting mostly southern states before heading north, including the swamps of Louisiana, I can imagine Fatih (and myself) will run into our fair share of rednecks!

Back in '08 a buddy and I were travelling through Nashville at the same time Vanderbuilt Univ. was having their graduation and we couldn't find a hotel under $200 a night. So, we found the most civil looking person at a gas station and asked if he knew where we could find a cheap hotel. The guy looked about as normal as you could find, but when we asked, he said "My cousin Bubba is right over there, go ask him, he should know"... .Yep, and there he was, one strap down on his overalls, with no T-shirt, waiting and willing to help!

Yet, even once we travel north, if there was a chance we could spot Sparkie, donning his fishing attire while fishing the banks of his pond in the rain, I'm sure Fatih would think at that point, that we had seen it all! (although, that would be PRIOR to meeting you, Bob-O grin )

There is so much on this trip that we're leaving to faith, hope and chance; that the weather will cooperate, we will both remain healthy and safe, that we can meet so many of you along the way,,,,, and that he can tolerate an insurance yo yo for over a month!

Fatih's adventure begins one week from today, and I hope you will all join me in praying and wishing for him a safe and successful 45 day journey in the great USA, and a safe return to his home land!

Keith (insurance yo yo smile )

(edit @ 3:15 PM) Bob-O and I have shared many PM's regarding this trip (all respectful, pleasant and in fun), and although we have not personally met, I was in no way offended by his remarks. I wanted to add this as others may perceive it differently.

Posted By: TGW1 Re: Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/25/15 01:14 PM
I have been watching this take shape for several months and I think it's cool that Fatih will be coming to America(never being here before now) and taking his chances traveling with and fishing with a bunch of Flatlanders, Hill Billie's, Rednecks and Yankees and while in Louisiana maybe with some Coonass. America a land of all types and Good People. In my travels around America, I have seen a few signs where entering a town and a sign on the outside of town, would say "welcome to a city of good people with a few old Grouches". I hope he only meets people like you good pond people. smile This Memorial Day makes me proud to be an American.

Tracy
Posted By: JKB Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/25/15 03:40 PM
Live webcam of Lake Michigan in Grand Haven:

http://www.surfgrandhaven.com/cms/surfgrandhavensponsoredwebcam.php

It's a tad windy today this Memorial Day.
Posted By: JKB Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/25/15 08:30 PM
Let's just hope we have good weather for a good day.
Posted By: Rainman Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/26/15 01:28 PM
I had always wondered where "Windsor" Missouri was. I never realized it was the homestead farm land of a family I have known most all my life that was incorporated into a town just SE of my hometown of Boonville, Mo. The Windsor's gave me my first management job...before finishing High School.

I may have to come down and visit when everyone is there!
Posted By: Bob-O Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/26/15 02:52 PM
Keith and Faith will spend a short time with me but will never forget it. Hopefully no outrageous stories, just good fishin ones.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/26/15 03:18 PM
I had always wondered where "Windsor" Missouri was. I never realized it was the homestead farm land of a family I have known most all my life that was incorporated into a town just SE of my hometown of Boonville, Mo. The Windsor's gave me my first management job...before finishing High School.

I may have to come down and visit when everyone is there!

What a great story, Rex! How cool is that!

And that would be great if you could make it as we knew trying to catch you going through St. Louis would be a crap-shoot.

But we'll need to let CMM know so he can have 4 moo-moo's or "fishtitution gowns" (Sparkie's fishing attire) on hand smile .

Now THAT would make for some good footage smile
Posted By: CMM Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/26/15 04:30 PM
Rex, you are more than welcome to come on down. I'm still working on the latest fishing fashion that spark showcased. That stuff seems hard to find😳. Anyone else in the area is welcome to stop in too.

Cmm
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/26/15 05:52 PM
CMM, PM sent
Posted By: JKB Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/26/15 06:59 PM
Well guy's, we'll have to draw straws or other elimination form to determine who is going to be the one to get the skunk out of the boat.

If you come up on the short end, meaning chosen, and are ill prepared in the Ritualistic Salmon Dance... well... so practice, practice, practice!

There will be video cameras rolling, so make it good!

Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/28/15 03:23 AM
Well, time is drawing near and we just decided to upgrade our SUV rental. When I started laying things out, cramped would be an understatement in a Chevy Equinox (no Rav4's available). So now it's a Chevy Traverse which has a ton more space!

So, I went to Hertz, took measurements of the cargo space and decided to build a rack out of PVC to accommodate all our,,,, shtuff and to make it somewhat organized and accessible.

I'm bringing pretty much all my tackle and 8 rods/reels for the different types of fishing we'll do. So on the bottom is the tackle, then I'll have a 1/4" sheet of ply on the PVC (the 2 cross pieces still need to be put in) with U brackets on the underside so it can be slid back for access. And our luggage will sit on that.

The rods and reels will be out of the way and easily accessible when we open the back hatch. And I will have grooves where the rods will rest on the front PVC. The tubes for the rods are notched on the underside to help keep them stable.

The frame has 1 1/4" PVC over the 1" PVC in the front, back and sides so I can adjust it width and length wise when I put it in the SUV.

Then we'll still have the back seat, upright or laid down for the camping gear, inflatable kayak, cooler, etc.

On the living room floor it looks like it will work but we'll see what happens when I install it in the SUV!

PS - The tape on the floor was the layout of the Rav4 which was too small. And please forgive the messy living room!
Posted By: esshup Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/28/15 03:31 AM
Looks good. Get these or something similar to put over the rods and line. That will help keep things from getting tangled in the line.

rod sock

Also, grab a bunch of small elastic bungee cords. If you have to step on the brakes, what will keep the rods/reels in the holder and not sliding forward out of the holder?

On the guided trips, they furnish the rods/reels.

Oh yeah. Go to Goodwill and get a lightweight sheet/throw that will cover all the stuff that is in the vehicle when you aren't in it. Hiding from prying eyes is best. One more thing, get a windshield reflector. Put it over the dash and hold it in place with the sun visors. That will help keep the interior cooler when you aren't in it, especially down South.
Posted By: esshup Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/28/15 03:35 AM
My neighbor works for the railroad. He went to work last Friday, and not 10 minutes after he was there, someone saw the fishing tackle in the truck and busted out the side window, taking it all. $600+ worth of stuff gone.
Posted By: mnfish Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/28/15 03:37 AM
Well, time is drawing near and we just decided to upgrade our SUV rental. When I started laying things out, cramped would be an understatement in a Chevy Equinox (no Rav4's available). So now it's a Chevy Traverse which has a ton more space!

So, I went to Hertz, took measurements of the cargo space and decided to build a rack out of PVC to accommodate all our,,,, shtuff and to make it somewhat organized and accessible.

I'm bringing pretty much all my tackle and 8 rods/reels for the different types of fishing we'll do. So on the bottom is the tackle, then I'll have a 1/4" sheet of ply on the PVC (the 2 cross pieces still need to be put in) with U brackets on the underside so it can be slid back for access. And our luggage will sit on that.

The rods and reels will be out of the way and easily accessible when we open the back hatch. And I will have grooves where the rods will rest on the front PVC. The tubes for the rods are notched on the underside to help keep them stable.

The frame has 1 1/4" PVC over the 1" PVC in the front, back and sides so I can adjust it width and length wise when I put it in the SUV.

Then we'll still have the back seat, upright or laid down for the camping gear, inflatable kayak, cooler, etc.

On the living room floor it looks like it will work but we'll see what happens when I install it in the SUV!

PS - The tape on the floor was the layout of the Rav4 which was too small. And please forgive the messy living room!

Love it....Tape on the floor! Looks like a well though out project!
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/28/15 04:43 AM
Thanks, Scott and great ideas!

I'm going to stick some velcro on the inside of the windows and use some old pool table felt to cover the rear windows with when we're parked. This is a big fear of mine with all the stuff we'll have in the vehicle!

I didn't think of the windshield reflector but I do have one. So thanks for that!

I'll also have velcro straps for each rod to keep them in place. I've designed the front PVC higher that the back one so the rods are basically wedged to the headliner but the velcro will keep them from doing exactly what you described!

And mnfish, thanks!
Posted By: JKB Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/28/15 05:13 AM
That's some serious planning right there!

I would probably make a pot of coffee in the morning, grab some stuff and hit the road, then find out I forgot 900 things laugh
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/28/15 12:11 PM
I've also been busy making beef jerky for the trip, and have another 4 lbs marinating now smile

I've also made some fruit leather, dried apricots, bananas, pears & apples. The meat slicer, dehydrator and food-saver are getting some heavy use!

Posted By: Bill D. Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/28/15 12:44 PM
Hey LL,

What cut of beef do you use for your jerky?
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/28/15 01:01 PM
Hi Bill,

I use Top Round when I can find it on sale, or bottom round works well too.

The butcher once asked if I had tried using ground beef, but when I told him it's $5.99 a lb for 90% lean, why when Top Round is better and on sale @ $3.49?

He couldn't argue with that smile .

But I'm new at this and I'm open for suggestions???
Posted By: Bill D. Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/28/15 02:15 PM
I am not an expert either that's why the question. In the past, I waited for london broil to go on sale.
Posted By: JKB Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/28/15 02:37 PM
Finally, a nice day on the lake. The weather has been really crappy the past few days.

London Broil is what's for lunch on the boat. That would make some pretty nice jerky.
Posted By: JKB Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/28/15 10:46 PM
I've also been busy making beef jerky for the trip, and have another 4 lbs marinating now smile

I've also made some fruit leather, dried apricots, bananas, pears & apples. The meat slicer, dehydrator and food-saver are getting some heavy use!

If you're making that much, it's gotta be really good! grin

I'm a jerky nut, so I'll bring a couple spools of dental floss!
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/28/15 11:47 PM

If you're making that much, it's gotta be really good! grin

I'm a jerky nut, so I'll bring a couple spools of dental floss!

lol, no two batches are the same as there was a lot of experimenting taking place! And those plastic flossers work great!

All top or bottom round roast, some cut with the grain, some against, some batches thin, some thick, some a little brittle, some more chewy, and most with different spices. All with funky names because I don't think I could make the same flavor twice!

Hopefully I'm making enough to last the trip (there's another 4 lbs in the dehydrator now smile ) so we can pass some on to all those from the PBF helping us! So keep in mind, as Forrest Gump put it "you never know what you're gonna get!"

I want to do more fruit but it takes 12-20 hours to dry and I'm running short on time! (The apricots are explosive!)
Posted By: JKB Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/29/15 12:09 AM
I'll forgo hitting Frank's or Granddad's for some jerky. Your stuff sounds exciting!

Garlic Stuffed Olives are shipping tomorrow. Been a mess moving and all, then realized I didn't have any flat rate boxes, just the regional ones.

Put them in the fridge overnight, then try them with your jerky.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/29/15 12:15 AM
I'm anxious to try them!

Thanks!

PS - PM Sent
Posted By: basslover Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/29/15 01:54 AM
Nice custom tackle carrier. I would recommend some velcro cable ties to secure the rods gently to the PVC carrier:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DFZREEM?psc=1

And depending upon the interior material of the rental vehicle again, look to velcro to secure the PVC carrier, or alternatively, you can never go wrong using 2 cinder blocks to secure the carrier. And then you've got two seats or rod holders with them there cinder blocks as well. smile

You taking a 5 gallon bucket? You should. And invest in one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Bucket-Portable-Toilet-Standard-Gallon/dp/B004KLY5CE
A nice toilet seat to pop on the bucket.

Presuming you're already taking a roll of Gorilla tape and a roll of electrical tape? And some good matches?
http://www.amazon.com/UCO-Stormproof-Waterproof-Matches-Strikers/dp/B004P5XOTA/

And a water filtration system?
http://www.amazon.com/LifeStraw-LSPHF017-Personal-Water-Filter/dp/B006QF3TW4/

What else? Dental floss, signal mirror, solid first aid kit with blood clotting agent (I once had a fairly significant hook removal event and the clotting agent was beneficial - http://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Medical-Kits-QuickClot-Silver/dp/B001BCMLWQ/ ), antibacterial soap for all those wonderful fish y'all will be removing from your hooks. smile

Depending on bodies of water and surrounding land you may consider a snake hook. http://tongs.com/p_snakehooks.aspx Multi-purpose they are and consider the 45" hook.

Depending on the states you're traveling through a firearm may not be on your to bring list, but you should consider some level of protection and deterrent. If you're unable to carry a firearm consider bear spray.

http://www.bearspray.com/ Quite powerful. I've had it halt a charging black bear and more than one "neighborhood dog". Invest in the bear spray, not the personal pepper spray. The bear spray has a higher volume of spray, is stronger than personal pepper spray, and shoots a further distance than personal pepper spray.

OR:
http://www.amazon.com/Streetwise-Security-Products-Nightstick-000-volt/dp/B00BNV27GU

OR:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GMNI7SQ?psc=1

Again, as with a firearm, consider the states you're traveling through and identify any applicable laws to make certain you're in the clear.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/29/15 03:43 AM
Hey basslover!

Thanks for the great tips and advice! Many of which I hadn't though of so thank you! And thanks for taking the time! (see below)

Originally Posted By: basslover
Nice custom tackle carrier Thanks!. I would recommend some velcro cable ties to secure the rods gently to the PVC carrier:
CHECK

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DFZREEM?psc=1

And depending upon the interior material of the rental vehicle again, look to velcro to secure the PVC carrier, or alternatively, you can never go wrong using 2 cinder blocks to secure the carrier. And then you've got two seats or rod holders with them there cinder blocks as well. smile

I figured with the weight of the luggage on the shelf (above the tackle) it would hold down the carrier, but you're right that it could still lift in unfortunate situations! Side to side and front to back it will be wedged in pretty tight. but I can also use what's being packed as some weight on it. As far as the cinder blocks, great (universal) idea but just don't have the room for them!

You taking a 5 gallon bucket? You should. And invest in one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Bucket-Portable-Toilet-Standard-Gallon/dp/B004KLY5CE
A nice toilet seat to pop on the bucket.
5 Gallon bucket is on my list as well as a bait bucket, but never thought of a toilet lid for the bucket! Interesting!

Presuming you're already taking a roll of Gorilla tape and a roll of electrical tape? And some good matches?
http://www.amazon.com/UCO-Stormproof-Waterproof-Matches-Strikers/dp/B004P5XOTA/
Gorilla tape, duct tape, electrical tape and a few tools - CHECK! Waterproof matches is a great idea!

And a water filtration system?
http://www.amazon.com/LifeStraw-LSPHF017-Personal-Water-Filter/dp/B006QF3TW4/
Wow, never heard of such a thing! I'd be awful leery sucking up water from a puddle, but it sure got good reviews, and could certainly come in handy!

What else? Dental floss, signal mirror, solid first aid kit with blood clotting agent (I once had a fairly significant hook removal event and the clotting agent was beneficial - http://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Medical-Kits-QuickClot-Silver/dp/B001BCMLWQ/ ), antibacterial soap for all those wonderful fish y'all will be removing from your hooks. smile
Dental floss and first aid kit - CHECK But never thought of a signal mirror or a clotting agent! Great idea!

As far as removing hooks, I found this on Youtube! Probably not for the sqeemish! And personally I think the guy's nuts! https://youtu.be/zgfpsupmu98

Depending on bodies of water and surrounding land you may consider a snake hook. http://tongs.com/p_snakehooks.aspx Multi-purpose they are and consider the 45" hook.
I've certainly thought about snakes for where we'll be and we'll likely be camping some nights so that's another great idea!

Depending on the states you're traveling through a firearm may not be on your to bring list, but you should consider some level of protection and deterrent. If you're unable to carry a firearm consider bear spray.

http://www.bearspray.com/ Quite powerful. I've had it halt a charging black bear and more than one "neighborhood dog". Invest in the bear spray, not the personal pepper spray. The bear spray has a higher volume of spray, is stronger than personal pepper spray, and shoots a further distance than personal pepper spray.
We talked about a firearm but decided against it, but using bear spray instead of pepper spray? Wow! I doubt I could find that here in Nebraska but I would imagine as I travel through TN and into GA I may have better luck. Ordering anything now might be a stretch!

OR:
http://www.amazon.com/Streetwise-Security-Products-Nightstick-000-volt/dp/B00BNV27GU

OR:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GMNI7SQ?psc=1

Again, as with a firearm, consider the states you're traveling through and identify any applicable laws to make certain you're in the clear.

Thank you again for taking the time, basslover! I can't tell you how much we appreciate all this!

Keith
Posted By: basslover Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/29/15 05:21 AM
Hey basslover!

Thanks for the great tips and advice! Many of which I hadn't though of so thank you! And thanks for taking the time! (see below)

I figured with the weight of the luggage on the shelf (above the tackle) it would hold down the carrier, but you're right that it could still lift in unfortunate situations! Side to side and front to back it will be wedged in pretty tight. but I can also use what's being packed as some weight on it. As far as the cinder blocks, great (universal) idea but just don't have the room for them!

5 Gallon bucket is on my list as well as a bait bucket, but never thought of a toilet lid for the bucket! Interesting!

Gorilla tape, duct tape, electrical tape and a few tools - CHECK! Waterproof matches is a great idea!

Wow, never heard of such a thing! I'd be awful leery sucking up water from a puddle, but it sure got good reviews, and could certainly come in handy!

Dental floss and first aid kit - CHECK But never thought of a signal mirror or a clotting agent! Great idea!

I've certainly thought about snakes for where we'll be and we'll likely be camping some nights so that's another great idea!

We talked about a firearm but decided against it, but using bear spray instead of pepper spray? Wow! I doubt I could find that here in Nebraska but I would imagine as I travel through TN and into GA I may have better luck. Ordering anything now might be a stretch!

Thank you again for taking the time, basslover! I can't tell you how much we appreciate all this!

Keith

IF you have room and if you're camping you might consider a shower bag. You could fill it and that would help hold the carrier in place. I've used this one numerous times - fill it up, lay it on a rock or roof/hood of a vehicle in sunlight and in a short bit you will have a warm to hot shower.

http://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-9965-Camp-Shower/dp/B000VNITQS/

The toilet seat bucket top is nice for when nature calls. Sure you can squat, hang over a rock or fallen tree trunk, etc., but this can be a bit more stable and comfortable. Set it up pondside and keep on fishin' while nature calls. wink

Regarding the matches - grab some cotton balls and coat them in vasoline then store in a ziplock bag. Vasoline is oil-based so it's waterproof. Cotton balls slathered in it will burn for 3-5 minutes easy. If you've not made these fire starters before make certain you get 100% petroleum jelly vasoline.

Again, if yer camping then you can't go wrong with having a water filtration system. I use small coffee filters as stage one, to filter out the large particles. Then I use the lifestraw or a UV filtration tool. Ya never know when you'll need clean water to either drink or wash a wound.

You can find bear spray in Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, Gander Mountain, etc. Even on Amazon with 2-day Prime shipping.
Posted By: Fatih Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/29/15 06:29 AM
Basslover, man these are very well-thought-out advices ! Wow! We could need any of these at some point of the trip.

Keith especially that toilet seat cover is a must for us!

Guys i am sorry if it is inappropriate to ask but this is a pure men community smile . We use water to clean our arse laugh . Using coke bottles isn't really practical. Any suggestions for this purpose?
Posted By: Bill D. Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/29/15 11:22 AM
Fatih,

Bidets are few and far between in the US. Here's one thought....Portable Bidet....

http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Handheld-Hygiene-Camping-Hospital/dp/B00KQSRZ7W
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/29/15 11:33 AM
Fatih, I'm game for tissues or toilet paper and I'll have plenty of zip-lock baggies along for disposal.

Coke bottles? I don't even want to ask! shocked

Posted By: esshup Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/29/15 12:08 PM
I usually carry waterproof matches in a small waterproof container, plus I bought a number of mini-torches a while ago and keep one in my backpack when hunting. Not quite the same, but something like this:
mini-torch

For a water filter, I have this:
Katadyn Hiker Pro

Never used it, but I have it just in case.......

Fatih, there's ladies on here too. Maybe not a lot, but a few. Would a condiment bottle filled with water work?
condiment bottle

Keith, you could always have the item shipped to one of your stops on your trip? You know your schedule pretty well, and probably have (or can get) addresses for where you will be at.

Fold-up camper chairs are packed, right? For silverware, a spork and a knife is minimalist. I usually have a knife in my pocket.
spork choices

I have one or two coleman stoves, but to heat something one of these takes up minimal space. But then, you need something to hold water. mini stove

A friend has one of those refigerators or coolers that he plugs into the car and that keeps everything cool. That's a more cost effective long term instead of buying ice all the time.
12v coolers
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/29/15 12:48 PM
Thank you, Scott!

I usually carry waterproof matches in a small waterproof container, plus I bought a number of mini-torches a while ago and keep one in my backpack when hunting. Not quite the same, but something like this:
mini-torch
I have one of these I can bring along with some waterproof matches: http://www.amazon.com/Culinary-Torch-Lig...nson+mini+torch

For a water filter, I have this:
Katadyn Hiker Pro
We'll be pretty mobile so hopefully having a water cooler/jug with us will suffice. But again, one never knows and those things are pretty cool!

Never used it, but I have it just in case.......

Fatih, there's ladies on here too. Maybe not a lot, but a few. Would a condiment bottle filled with water work?
condiment bottle
(I'm still up for the toilet paper or tissue idea smile )

Keith, you could always have the item shipped to one of your stops on your trip? You know your schedule pretty well, and probably have (or can get) addresses for where you will be at.
The good thing is that we'll not be in any given place for more than a day or two so we'll be able to pick up things along the way.

Fold-up camper chairs are packed, right? For silverware, a spork and a knife is minimalist. I usually have a knife in my pocket.
spork choices
Bag chairs packed! Pocket knife, CHECK, Plastic silverware or camping kit CHECK

I have one or two coleman stoves, but to heat something one of these takes up minimal space. But then, you need something to hold water. mini stove
When camping, I'm trying to plan for cleaning and cooking our catch. And a small stove and skillet would be much more convenient that a camp fire! And if all else fails?,,,,,, SUSHI smile

A friend has one of those refigerators or coolers that he plugs into the car and that keeps everything cool. That's a more cost effective long term instead of buying ice all the time.
12v coolers
That would certainly be handy for as hot as it will get in the car, but I don't have one and they're a little pricey at this point.

If the car rental places didn't forbid it, I would have considered a small enclosed trailer!

A little different trying to pack for 5 weeks on the road!
If you are planning to heat/cook anything, I also recommend some type of small mimi stove that Scott mentioned. We use one all the time. You also can get a set of pans that fold and stack into each other that doesn't take up much more room than a coffee cup.

LL, what about one of those car top carriers/boxes I see being used. Will they let you do that? Don't know anything about them, just a thought....

The shows we travel to, I see guys put pvc pipe tied to the roof tops to store long stuff in. Caps on ends. Might be a second alternative if room gets critical.
Posted By: esshup Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/29/15 01:52 PM

A little different trying to pack for 5 weeks on the road!

Tell me about it. I was in Texas for 6 weeks..........
Posted By: Fatih Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/29/15 02:05 PM
Water bidet is a great idea but it won't take up as much water as i need. Squeeze bottle could work because i can buy more than one.

Keith, haha. Thanks.
Posted By: Fatih Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/29/15 02:12 PM
Getting packed for 5 weeks is a challenge but getting packed for 5 weeks for 2 people is a whole other thing.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/29/15 04:58 PM
Originally Posted By: fish n chips
LL, what about one of those car top carriers/boxes I see being used. Will they let you do that? Don't know anything about them, just a thought....

The shows we travel to, I see guys put pvc pipe tied to the roof tops to store long stuff in. Caps on ends. Might be a second alternative if room gets critical.

I'm thinking I can fit it all in, and somewhat organized but actually doing it is another story!

And Fatih said he was okay with riding on top of the SUV as long as it was in a comfy chair smile .

I'm starting to get visions!

OR:

Posted By: JKB Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/29/15 05:27 PM
If you are planning to heat/cook anything, I also recommend some type of small mimi stove that Scott mentioned. We use one all the time.

A guy at work has a mini microwave in his service van. Cute little gizmo and he runs it from an inverter off the battery. It's not that big, but will fit a nice sized bowl of soup or stew for a nice hot lunch.

Guys i am sorry if it is inappropriate to ask but this is a pure men community smile . We use water to clean our arse laugh . Using coke bottles isn't really practical. Any suggestions for this purpose?
For years, dirty underwear (aka, skid marks) have been all the rage here in the US. Fortunately, as of late, the use of moistened baby wipes is gaining in popularity. Perhaps someday, we as a nation will become more advanced in terms of personal hygiene, and adopt the advanced, yet simple technology known as the bidet.

Although as Americans, I doubt that we could keep it that simple. I'm sure that we would have to go bigger and better. It would probably involve more pressure, higher volume, and the necessity to wear a seat belt. Something along the lines of a complete colonic irrigation.

Of course, we would have to change the name, because after all, "bidet" is a little "Frenchie" sounding. The name, "Freedom Flush" comes to mind. laugh

Doctor Oz, says that 'real' men use baby wipes after pooping. lol

This road trip sounds like a blast, guys. I'm stoked to follow the progress. Happy trails! smile
Posted By: JKB Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/29/15 07:47 PM
Originally Posted By: gully washer

For years, dirty underwear (aka, skid marks) have been all the rage here in the US. Fortunately, as of late, the use of moistened baby wipes is gaining in popularity. Perhaps someday, we as a nation will become more advanced in terms of personal hygiene, and adopt the advanced, yet simple technology known as the bidet.

I had my sister go pick up some cloths for me one day because I was out of town and she was heading this way. The surprising and most unexpected comment was that my skivvies had no skid marks laugh How do you do that was asked? I don't know, just don't poop your pants I guess.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/29/15 08:02 PM
Originally Posted By: gully washer
The name, "Freedom Flush" comes to mind. laugh
I love it! haha

This road trip sounds like a blast, guys. I'm stoked to follow the progress. Happy trails! smile
Thank you gully washer! I hope to have a new thread started by tomorrow since Fatih arrives in the US on Monday, which will offer daily updates as to where we're at, what we've done and fish we've caught ! smile
Posted By: JKB Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/29/15 08:58 PM
Now guy's, the boat has facilities, but seriously doubt the backwash option is installed.

On the first boat, we had a pee jug that if you used it, you hang over the side of the boat to rinse it out. Wait till you hit shore to do any back washing stuff.

This subject has turned a tad...
Posted By: sprkplug Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/30/15 12:18 AM
In the beginning, I checked in on this thread from time to time simply to see how the plan was progressing. Now it's more of a train wreck carnage, OMG, can't-turn-away morbid curiosity kind of thing.
Posted By: Bocomo Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/30/15 12:29 AM
In the beginning, I checked in on this thread from time to time simply to see how the plan was progressing. Now it's more of a train wreck carnage, OMG, can't-turn-away morbid curiosity kind of thing.

I agree! I think it's time for a second thread title change...mods? wink
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/30/15 02:49 AM
We'll be starting a new thread in the morning, guys!
Posted By: Fatih Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/30/15 09:05 PM

What do you mean spark?
Posted By: Bill D. Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/30/15 09:12 PM
Fatih,

It's all good. I think Sparkie is saying reading this thread is like reading a great novel; you can't wait to turn the page to see what will happen next! smile
Posted By: Fatih Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/30/15 09:21 PM
Bill , i didn't mean spark was saying anything negative. I just read it 20 times and couldn't understand because of my horrible English, hehe.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/30/15 09:58 PM
No negativity intended. Merely a bemused take on a post that started with a guy wanting to go fishing, and worked its way up to the various methodologies employed to clean one's backside. I'm both curious and somewhat apprehensive about where it will go from here. laugh
Posted By: Rainman Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/30/15 10:08 PM
This will be a great trip, Fatih! For you, many of us participating, and all who follow along reading about your adventure here!
Posted By: Rainman Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/30/15 10:10 PM
Heck, with the timing and some of my common routes, I could accidentally meet Fatih, and or Keith in multiple places...lol
Posted By: Fatih Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/30/15 10:12 PM
I knew no negativity was intended Spark. No worries.

And i am glad this subject has drawn so much attention and curiosity. I didn't mean it to be this way. Hoping that everything goes well and we get more than a couple of pan fish and some disappointment.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 05/31/15 03:11 AM
Heck, with the timing and some of my common routes, I could accidentally meet Fatih, and or Keith in multiple places...lol

Rainman, as you follow our route, please feel free to call if you're in any area we're in! We'd love to meet up if we could!

Keith

PS - I was unable to send you a PM so if you can send me one, PM me your number so we can call as we're nearing St. Louis. Or if that's all the farther I can make it from Lincoln on the 5th, maybe we can hook up then too, before I head on to Nashville on the 6th.
Posted By: basslover Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/01/15 02:04 AM
KEITH -

Consider editing your post and removing your tele number ASAP.

You probably don't want that for everyone to call, fax, etc.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/01/15 04:39 AM
Basslover, good advice but too late. I spent the afternoon driving around Ft Wayne and Indianapolis and there are now quite a few messages in the mens stalls that say "for a good time call Keith at above mentioned #". Also mentioned that in the near future he may have a well tanned assistant. Have a nice road trip guys, just watch each others back.
Posted By: Fatih Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/01/15 09:37 AM
Rainman, can't wait to meet you smile .

Bob, haha. That was hilarous smile .
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/01/15 04:02 PM
Originally Posted By: basslover
KEITH - Consider editing your post and removing your tele number ASAP.

You probably don't want that for everyone to call, fax, etc.

Basslover, good advice but too late. I spent the afternoon driving around Ft Wayne and Indianapolis and there are now quite a few messages in the mens stalls that say "for a good time call Keith at above mentioned #". Also mentioned that in the near future he may have a well tanned assistant. Have a nice road trip guys, just watch each others back.

So far I've received only 3 voice mail messages (although I've since removed my number from the post to Rainman):

One from a guy named "Raymond" rambling on about autism.

One from a janitor who's pissed because the message won't wipe off the wall and wants to hold me responsible for repainting it.

And one asking if my "well tanned assistant" was cute whistle

grin
Posted By: Bob-O Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/04/15 04:38 AM
OK, it's 12:38 pm and I see both LL and Faith are lookin in. How about an update?
Posted By: esshup Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/04/15 04:55 AM
I sent him a text earlier today and either his phone isn't working over here, or he's really, really busy!
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/04/15 11:50 AM
Fatih should be giving an update and as for me, I'm still getting stuff together and head out tomorrow morning.

But Fatih made it safely to NY, then to NC where he's staying with his family for several days. He told me yesterday that he would be casting his first line this morning so hopefully we'll see the first fish caught!
Good to know all is OK!!!!

Let the fish'n begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: RER Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/04/15 12:14 PM
I look forward to seeing you guys and having a little fish fry on the 18th. I'll not fish the pond until then so they will be ready to eat. I might even go toss some disabled live bait fish a few times to get them fired up.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/04/15 12:56 PM
Originally Posted By: BobbyRice
I look forward to seeing you guys and having a little fish fry on the 18th. I'll not fish the pond until then so they will be ready to eat. I might even go toss some disabled live bait fish a few times to get them fired up.

That sounds great Bobby, we're looking forward to it too!

Fatih just called, gave me a fishing update and said he has poor to no internet service but he will try to keep everyone posted when he can. I'll have a mobile hot-spot which will help once he and I meet up.
Posted By: Fatih Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/04/15 07:00 PM
I sent him a text earlier today and either his phone isn't working over here, or he's really, really busy!
I left 2 voice messages and still no call from Scott. You must be really really and really busy too laugh . Hehe.
Posted By: basslover Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/04/15 07:25 PM
Fatih did you get a usa sim or prepaid phone? If you did pm me your number. Cheers!
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/04/15 09:55 PM
Just picked up the Chevy Traverse from Hertz, wrapping some things up at the office, then home to start loading up and hopefully heading out first thing in the morning!

So it's about time to "put the lid on the jar" and let the fun begin!

Stoked!!! smile
Posted By: Bill D. Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/04/15 09:58 PM
Be safe guys. Looking forward to hearing about your adventure!
Posted By: Fatih Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/04/15 11:28 PM
Basslover and Scott please call me guys
Posted By: Bob-O Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/06/15 06:15 PM
Rainman, good post and great pictures. I hope everyone who LL/Faith visit will follow your example and post their personal pictures and stories. That will save the two of them valuable time which will dwindle by very quickly.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/06/15 10:27 PM
Fatih, caught your pics on your other post. Ya look good launchin the boat but seem to have become invisible in the pier picture. I suggest you slow down, pace yourself and ENJOY your time here. Even if you don't get to do all you planned it is important to not overdue. Best of luck and hope to meet you two in about a month.
Posted By: Fatih Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/07/15 09:22 PM
Bob, thanks man smile . I am trying my best to have fun and use the opportunity for a good film as hard as i can. Very tiring to do both though.

Guys what is the largest fishing store on our route? I need to film one of the hugest ones(in terms for fishing gear). By the way i like the ambiance of BassPro much better. Cabelas doesn't have no good interior. Not the one in Greenville at least.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/07/15 10:03 PM
Fatih, I think the biggest ones are Springfield, MO and a brand new one in Memphis, TN. Not exactly on our route but there's others that are. Savannah, GA, Jacksonville, FL, Miami, FL, and many others we'll be close to.
Posted By: Fatih Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/07/15 10:20 PM
Well... Great then Keith. I see you are hanging around forums instead off catching fish smile.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/07/15 10:25 PM
Ha, I'm catfishing, waiting for the bell to start dinging smile
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/07/15 10:31 PM

Life is good!
Posted By: esshup Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/07/15 10:35 PM
There's a Cabelas in Hammond, Indiana, and a Bass Pro in Portage, Indiana. Both right off the highway.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/15/15 04:03 AM
Faith, Very happy that you are having a good time. Good pics good times and stories. I'm VERY happy you met Ed in the swamps of Florida, sounds like he might be an unknown relative. Now you are prepared for a visit here if that works. Got a kick of 80 pics of your pig LMB. I have the head of a 34&1/2" 8lb NP which isn't even that big but the largest fresh water fish I've ever caught. I do believe tho that by the end of your journey if you connect with a large SMB or Musky you may have a new favorite.
Best of luck to you two, be safe and don't let set backs dampen your overall experience. Heck, it always storms in FL not to mention Texas. Be cool young man, ya got lots of folks cheerin for ya.
VERY enviously, Bob-O
Posted By: esshup Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/15/15 11:32 AM
Fatih and Keith - thanks for posting the pictures. Sorry to hear that some of the fishing trips were a bust, but that's why it's called fishing and not catching!

My pond will look completely different than it did a few weeks ago. We are getting some rain and it's starting to fill up again.

Fatih, that 7# LMB should have been over 10# if it had enough food. It looks skinny.

Keep the pictures and story coming!!
Posted By: esshup Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/15/15 10:35 PM
So you have internet on the houseboat?

How's Mr. Fuzzy Face dealing with the humidity? laugh
Posted By: Rainman Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/15/15 11:11 PM
Great updates guys! Sure glad you are both having such an amazing adventure!
Posted By: Bob-O Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/16/15 02:55 AM
Scott, absolutely love Fatihs new nickname "fuzz face", even better than Faith. But seems ta me Fur Face would be more appropriate. Have ya noticed that the weight of all them wiskers makes it difficult for him ta smile? Also can't help but wonder why he doesn't have that large circular growth at the center of his hairline removed. Who knows, it may be some kinda sexy thing in Turkey.
Posted By: esshup Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/17/15 03:33 PM
Keith, since I'm not on FB, I guess I'll just have to settle for seeing all the pictures on your computer!

I think you will be able to catch a few LMB when you are here. wink

I'd really like to see you guys pull some of the catfish from my pond!!!
Posted By: Bob-O Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/17/15 04:08 PM
Keith, when are ya planning on getting to Bobby Rices place?
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/17/15 04:24 PM
Scott, pulling Catfish from your pond would rock Fatih's world!

Bob-O, Thursday around 5:30ish
Posted By: esshup Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/17/15 04:31 PM
We might take a side trip or 3 to some other ponds in the area too. wink grin
Posted By: RER Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/17/15 06:20 PM
wish I had more time during the week to show them around I know a few salwater spots to fish.

I am going to meet them after work thursday and do a little fish fry.
I have some freshly frozen fish from a recent off shore trip for them to try and Emily my wife is running up to Mayport to pick up some fresh wild caught MAYPORT shrimp....(the best shrimp in the world).
The st johns river acts as a nursury and the big ones are harvested just offshore near the mouth of the river.

after a quick meal we will hit the pond and see what they can catch., Im going to have them use live bait so prob will not get any BG,I figured they will catch planty of those further down the trip.

only a slight chance of afternoon thunder storms so that looks good.

It has been really hot and dry the last week, So we will fish from 6:30 ish until dark, the feeder goes off at 7:45 so thats when activity is at its peak.

Hopefully we will have more to post than when CRAY came down to help me seine the pond...LOL
Posted By: Bob-O Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/17/15 09:17 PM
Ta quote Hank Hill, "Dammit Bobby" You Texas fellows ought ta like that. I'm sure their visit with you will be one of the finer points on their trip. Your pond maybe the most intriguing BOW that they encounter. I gotta say tho that Ed in the swamp really got my attention. Maybe cause he put me in mind of myself minus the swamp. Anyhow, keep the pics and stories coming. Thank all involved, this IS a life changing experience.
Posted By: esshup Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/21/15 03:49 PM
OUCH!!!

I would have thought you'd have a small first aid kit with you!

At least some betadine!

It sounds like the trip is living up to 95% of what you had hoped it would be like.

I can't promise any fish that you haven't caught before (well, maybe a Yellow Perch).

I've got to spray for skeeters here - they are terrible around dusk.

I've got to spray for skeeters here - they are terrible around dusk.

Why bother? If Fatih can handle a treble hook like that eek , a mosquito is nothing cool
Posted By: esshup Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/21/15 04:57 PM
But I can't! wink grin
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/21/15 07:27 PM
Everything was in our car! But I would guess Josh will be better equipped on his next trip out.

Fatih was a true trooper with that hook! He was not going to be denied more fishing!
Posted By: esshup Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/21/15 10:37 PM
I understand now!

I have to check my current fishing "box" to see if I have antiseptic in it.

hot to remove a hook
I'm enjoying the reports. You guys certainly have more stamina than I do......... Heck, just a weekend trip to the lake is usually enough to wear me out.

That houseboat excursion looks awesome. Might have to add that to my bucket list.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/23/15 02:06 PM
Gully Washer, the houseboat was definitely a highlight and very worthy of adding to the bucket list!

And stamina? Lol, we're only half way in and I've already called my doctor to have a new back ready for me when I return crazy
Posted By: JKB Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/23/15 05:19 PM
I have to check my current fishing "box" to see if I have antiseptic in it.

Antiseptic??? - We were too poor for this fancy stuff, well, they didn't waste it on us guy's. Pair of pliers and "get over it" wink
Posted By: JKB Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/23/15 05:31 PM
Trip seems to be going pretty well, and what an experience we can only read about.

I can't imagine being in yours or Fatih's shoes, but it must be just awesome.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/24/15 04:06 AM
It's beyond incredible and I wish it was easier to share more pics and videos, especially feeding the Dolphin and Fatih's bout with the tree and the bug that got up his shirt!
Posted By: esshup Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/26/15 01:40 PM
Fatih, the pictures of the Texas trip are great! Yeah, Dave is an old geezer and Al is about as old! wink grin

I'm glad that you could scratch a few fish off of your bucket list. I think you'll catch one more in my pond that you haven't caught before, and maybe a few at the lake house in the public lake.

I think you'll catch one more in my pond that you haven't caught before, and maybe a few at the lake house in the public lake.

What kind of tree is that???? crazy smile
Posted By: Bob-O Re: 45 Days With The Traveling Cast-A-Ways! - 06/27/15 04:28 AM
An unexpected call from somewhere with a Nebraska # had me wondering if Katelin err Bruce had decided to contact me with some new tabloid gossip. Could be TJ as we have exchanged pm's (almost messed up there and didn't include the')lately. Or could it be the daring duo braving the road trip of a lifetime. I decided ta roll the dice cause all of the above mentioned would be interesting to talk with. Answered and through a somewhat static connection was asked if this "is Bob-o from pond boss"? I said no, this Bob-O from Indiana !! Was greeted with "this is Keith and Fatif" and I says so. He asked if I had a few mins to chat and told him sure, fire away. That was opening Pandora's box. Double L can talk as long and uninterrupted as Bob Lusk and Bill Cody. He went into a rant trying to incorporate some of the thousands of great moments they have experienced and probably only scratched the surface.
They are on their way to Windsor, MO. I believe after that up to Scotts for about a week. We're hoping to hijack them over to either Cecils or my place but am worried that Scott may have too much for them to do. Have to play it by ear. My son has a place on Loon lake about 25 miles from Cecils and invited myself and them to camp there on the 4th and maybe do some spearing. If they could come to my place in the afternoon on the 3rd maybe we could get Wild Bill over for a visit and maybe supper. However it works out will be fine, they are already on cloud nine !!! I do however have two concerns. First is that in all the pics I've seen Fatif is only half smiling when he's holding a Gar and a Carp. Maybe I can get him hooked up with a Bowfin and get him ta half smile. Has anyone explained the concept of trash fish? The other thing is when he hooked himself, I didn't detect ANY blood. I asked him if he had been in the Keys, Pensacola, the Everglades and brackish river waters that his blood has turned into saltwater? He mumbled something about it only bled AFTER he removed it. Now I been stuck with multiple pointed objects in various locations over the years and as soon as said sharp object punctured my skin, I bled !!!
Posted By: esshup Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/27/15 12:34 PM

I think you'll catch one more in my pond that you haven't caught before, and maybe a few at the lake house in the public lake.

What kind of tree is that???? crazy smile

Pin Oak and Cottonwood wink
Posted By: esshup Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/27/15 12:40 PM
Bob, Fatih caught a Bowfin in LA. when they were fishing in the swamp.

I've got a couple of things planned, but I'm leaving a lot of options on what to do up to them. I figure they might want to stay in one place for a few days to get their suitcases unpacked and sorted out. Day trips here and there, but back to the same place at night. But, it's up to them.

This next week (at least here) has rain predicted for every day, somewhere between 20 to 60 percent.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/27/15 01:28 PM
I need more time to fully update our experience with Fireishot as we checked into our hotel last night in Springfield, MO after 11 pm after leaving his place around 11 am. We stopped at Lusk Lodge, met Debbie and Bob around 2:00, fished his Catfish pond, had a great visit with him in his beyond beautiful home and we both got the books "Raising Tropy Bass" and Perfect Pond... Want one?" Autographed by Mr. Lusk as well as the new issue of Pond Boss magazine, hot off the press signed as well. What a great experience!

With a 6 hour drive ahead to get to Springfield, MO, once it hit 10 pm the old driving eyes were getting tired so after making a few calls to try to get some adreneline going, seeing Bob-O's number in my phone was the perfect recipe!

Once I started talking about our adventure with Bob-O I think I could have driven another 500 miles!

So Bob-O, thanks for the chat and helping with getting us to Springfield safely!

We got to Bass Pro @ 7am, I turned Fatih loose with his video equipment and after leaving here we'll make our way to Windsor, MO to see CMM.

And Scott, after now logging over 4,800 miles, and a "few" more to get to your place, I foresee at least one day of this old, tired dog finding a relaxing lawn chair on the end of the pier just soaking it all in.

But as I've said that before and it hasn't happened yet,,,,, we'll see!

Fatih get's plenty of rest as I think the turn of the car key is like a sleeping pill for him grin

More later,

Lovin Livin
Posted By: Bob-O Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/27/15 01:56 PM
Scott, sounds like your itinerary is just what the wild men need, a bit of r&r for Keith and some cool weather for hook boy. I believe you are somewhere around 90-110 miles from me ? but we are predicted cool weather with some chance of rain for the next ten days. From what LL says Fatih has the door open with pole in hand before the car stops every time they arrive at a BOW. I'm sure he has rain gear.
Keith, I called a lady friend (ok, maybe the lady part is stretchin it) but she wasn't home. You called about 10 mins later and caught me in a gabby mood. The conversation was my pleasure and I too was wide awake at midnight. Adrenalin is amazing. Talk to you two soon.
Posted By: esshup Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/27/15 03:42 PM
Bob, PM me your address and phone number. Gotta run and deliver some Grass Carp and Bluegills.
Posted By: CMM Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/28/15 06:04 PM
Keith( lovinlliving) and Fatih left Windsor Mo a few minutes ago to head towards Rex in St Louis. I cannot express how pleased and honored I am to have been a part of this saga. After meeting these guys, just wow. What energy and passion Fatih has for fish. He is full of questions and is an excellent sport. He and Keith seem to have developed quite a friendship full of teasing. Keith was the prime story teller and was so funny.

We did some shooting, complete with a "gentlemans" wager between the two on the outcome. I am embarrassed to admit that I was out shot with my favorite firearm. Damn, I will be shooting some more .45's up this week!

After that we hit some gills for a few hours, dinner, top water for Lm til dark while my husband sat on the dock with the guitar, then a few fireworks and a bit of visiting and bed. Up early to hit the water before the wind and sun got too bad.

Oh, I am afraid I may have treated at least one of them to a cold shower. Right after they left I realized the hot water heated pilot light had gone out. Oops. Sorry bout that.

So much packed into such a short time. But this makes me want to follow in their footsteps. I am pretty much a technological Neanderthal, but I will eventually learn to post pictures, if only to showcase sparkplugs version of fishing attire modeled by the traveling castaways. Hee hee. Did I mention they were good sports?

Thanks so much for stopping in Windsor and allowing us to get to know you. Best of everything for the rest of your trip and in your lives.
CMM
Posted By: Bob-O Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/29/15 12:15 AM
Thank you for the update. I have a bad memory but I think you are the first host to pass on their experience with you or the other way around. When I spoke to Keith the other night "when he got drowsy" I told him I was sure everyone following their trip was envious. I said in the 60s everyone wanted ta jump on a motorcycle and head west. I think the travelin gypsies have outdone that ol school fantasy. And they ain't done yet!!
If they're careless enough ta get to my place, I'll have a report for ya.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/29/15 06:02 AM
Bob-O, you may have CRS too!

Many have replied after hosting us and sharing their experiences.

It was another long day on the road after a fantastic day and a half fly fishing with CMM, with last night being treated to her husband Michael's singing and giutar playing on the dock while we're in the canoes fishing. A scene and experience that just can't be put into words!

Michael got this awesome shot, complete with flying fly line and awesome reflection off the pond.

We'll be arriving at Esshups tomorrow for several days which will give us time to get you all caught up, from our incredible experiences from Texas with Fireishot and Dave Davidson, to Bob and Debbie Lusk at Lusk Lodge, our visit to Bass Pro Shop jn Springfield, MO, fly fishing with CMM in Windsor, MO in our Fishtitution gowns and tonight meeting up again with Rainman & Cathy in St. Louis, MO for another outstanding buffet dinner and shooting some pool at a local pool hall while we were in a tornado warning with sirens blaring shocked

What has happpened over the past 3 weeks is just beyond amazing and far beyond any and all expectations! Everything we've done and seen, everyone we've met, the fish we've caught and everything that's happened seems like a once in a lifetime experience that would just seem impossible to duplicate!

As my brother has stated so many times through Facebook updates and my chats with him, "Wow, just wow!"

It's 1:00 am and we have another 6 hours of driving tomorrow,,,,,,,,, more later!

Lovin Livin!
Posted By: Rainman Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/29/15 07:07 AM
It was a huge pleasure to get to host Keith for a second time, and Fatih for the first time in their 45 days of fun. After a little conversation and after-drive time to wind down, we left for dinner. On the way back to mine and Cathy's home to get our pool cues, at the entrance of our fairly large, suburban housing subdivision, a Doe and her triplets casually crossed the road to graze about 20 feet from us, giving Fatih some excellent picture poses. I'm afraid I didn't take any pictures of the deer, but here is one I took of Cathy, Keith and Fatih after a couple hours shooting pool...Keith is a good shot, and while Fatih may be a beginner, he is quickly mastering the skills!

A sample of this years city deer...possibly one of the triplets seen
Posted By: esshup Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/30/15 04:16 AM
The wayward waifs are all settled down in the lake house. I'm going to see if I can get Fatih onto my time schedule - forget about naps and have him going from early to late. I'll keep him occupied while in the truck so he doesn't nap. wink grin
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/30/15 11:53 AM
Scott, I found a pair of yellow needle nosed pliers and a Gerber multi-tool in the tin boat this morning. I know they have to belong to Keith, Fatih, or DD1, so could you check there, and I'll check with Dave.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/30/15 11:59 AM
The wayward waifs are all settled down in the lake house. I'm going to see if I can get Fatih onto my time schedule - forget about naps and have him going from early to late. I'll keep him occupied while in the truck so he doesn't nap. wink grin

Yep, I remember training our kids to do the same! laugh
Al, the yellow needle nose are/were mine. They're fairly low mileage. Enjoy them. I won't run short any time soon.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/30/15 01:11 PM
You go Scott, Fatih is too old and too young ta need nappy time. Buck up and get with the Midwestern time frame
Posted By: esshup Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/30/15 02:16 PM
I was at the lake house @ 5 this morning, the house was all dark. I didn't want to wake Keith, so I tapped on Fatih's bedroom window. He looked like I woke him up, but he was out of the house in less than 10 minutes. I'll let him fill everybody in on how bad the mosquitos were where we went. (worst I've seen in a few years)

He is back at the lake house seeing if he can catch a carp. Keith was on the pier fishing when we got back, and Fatih couldn't get to the water fast enough. I have some things that I have to get caught up on in the office, but we're on the road again in 2 hrs or so.

I have to do some running and gunning in the Amish community this afternoon, and at least Fatih is coming along. I imagine that will be a bit of America that he hasn't experienced before (I heard that he did have a taste of it around CMM's place).

Wed we will do more fishing around here in some ponds. Thursday is still up in the air. Friday we will be going to Cecil's, meeting Bob-O and maybe Bill Cody. Then it's to Bob-O's place and I don't know what he's got in store for the wandering waifs. Saturday we will hit the Sporting Clays range, then it's off to Chicago for a 4th of July party that evening.
Posted By: esshup Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/30/15 02:16 PM
Al, I'll ask them if it's theirs. UPS flat rate priority should make it here before they leave if they want them back.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/30/15 02:25 PM
I thought I posted this already but with a week signal it must not have.

Al, I'm pretty sure the multi-tool was mine if it looked fairly new, but it was a Wally World special for just that reason (not being tethered to Fatih smile ).

I'm not concerned with it so please get some use out of it or pass it on to someone who can.

Thanks!
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 06/30/15 04:22 PM
Keith, I'll get the multi-tool back to you because if I don't, it'll just wind up at DD1's.

Dave, have we ever been together when one of us didn't leave something? We may to start getting the wife's to babysit us. CRS is the word of the day.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 07/01/15 03:09 AM
We certainly got a treat having you both there at the same time!

And there's not enough signal at Scott's lake house but said I could use his laptop at his home to finally get some Texas and Missouri updates posted smile

Thanks, Al but you two are certainly welcome to keep passing it back and forth. It could be a Fatih reminder for years to come! The multi-purpose Turkey tool grin
Posted By: esshup Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 07/02/15 01:07 AM
Keith, I like the other mugshot better.

O.K. Now today at my pond, who outfished whom? (I'm talking about you and Fatih - leave my sorry butt out of it!) wink grin
Posted By: sprkplug Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 07/02/15 01:15 AM
Did esshup model a fishtitution gown also?
Posted By: esshup Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 07/02/15 01:16 AM
That's a Southern thang............. wink
Posted By: JKB Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 07/02/15 02:32 AM
That's a Southern thang............. wink

I had a pretty fancy one in the ER last week, and while floating above my body due to the shot's, thought I might ask if they would sell some. Yep, forgot wink

I think we should all dress like Pirates on LM laugh
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 07/03/15 11:11 AM
Spark, if Esshup would have been with us he would have been wearing one too!

Esshup, it's hard to say it's a southern thang when the first Fishtitution gown was donned in your own home state! whistle

But nice try grin

PS - but come to think of it, CMM insisted we take ours home. Sooooo, since we have them here, esshup has a pier and it's a very busy weekend on the lake, I think a photo of he and Fatih modeling one could\should be in order? (Of course I would join them but we only have two grin )

?????????
Posted By: Bob-O Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 07/03/15 02:02 PM
Keith, bring yer Toga outfits and me and Cody will model em for ya.
Posted By: JKB Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 07/03/15 05:50 PM
Spark, if Esshup would have been with us he would have been wearing one too!

Esshup, it's hard to say it's a southern thang when the first Fishtitution gown was donned in your own home state! whistle

But nice try grin

PS - but come to think of it, CMM insisted we take ours home. Sooooo, since we have them here, esshup has a pier and it's a very busy weekend on the lake, I think a photo of he and Fatih modeling one could\should be in order? (Of course I would join them but we only have two grin )

?????????

I think a good photo/video OP would be Fatih and Scott modeling the open back attire while on the North Pier shooting for some YP. I also think Keith should be doing the Olive challenge on dry land, while Jim, his wife, and me, are Executives in charge of production wink
Posted By: JKB Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 07/03/15 06:09 PM
I forgot that Matt Rayl will be here, so if you want to put him "On The Spot", suggestions...

Posted By: JKB Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 07/03/15 07:21 PM
Sheesh!!!

Went to the general store in Bridgeton and damn near caught a head on with a little Mazda that was blowing in my lane.

That's the 3rd time this week. Kinda makes you think a bit and that your life is in the hands of someone else in the other lane.
Posted By: esshup Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 07/04/15 11:28 AM
The holiday weekend crazies are out.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 07/04/15 12:26 PM
Yeah, there are three maniacs in a new black Dodge 1500 and one of em catches large HSB, one catches lots of small YP and the other bought my supper. Thanks Keith.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 07/04/15 12:39 PM
I've been kidding esshup because everytime I see him, he's in a different, new vehicle. wink Always a Dodge, though.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 07/04/15 01:15 PM
Sparky, I'll bet that truck cost more than I paid for my 5 acres and luxurious trailer. Got to say tho that Scott works long hrs and deserves what nice toys he has.
Sounds like esshup has good taste. Does it have that new diesel in it?
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 07/04/15 02:00 PM
Ben, I'm wondering if it came with a wheel lock key. The truck he rented when he came down for the conference didn't have one. A flat tire could have been an oopsy moment for sure.
Posted By: JKB Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 07/04/15 02:05 PM
He was talking about the diesel. Told me to go check them out, but I ain't spending that kind of money on a new truck. It's the Ram brand, no longer Dodge.
Posted By: Rainman Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 07/04/15 02:41 PM
Sparky, I'll bet that truck cost more than I paid for my 5 acres and luxurious trailer. Got to say tho that Scott works long hrs and deserves what nice toys he has.

Bob, you just may be right on the price...I sure chambered a couple rounds buying my new diesel a couple months ago, but with incentives, brand new was a few grand less than 2 years old. Indiana has not been too kind to me yet. Lil Blue found a mailbox when a clown pulled onto the highway in front of me ($4K damage with under 5000 miles) and esshup had to hook up his Ram Rental while another used his Jeep to pull me out from the spot pictured below....Truck and trailer had sunk in a few inches by the time we'd finished stocking.

When going to dinner, Fatih kept commenting, "This back seat is huge! This back seat is huge!" lol

Posted By: sprkplug Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 07/04/15 03:53 PM
Ain't nobody making me believe Ram isn't Dodge.....
Posted By: JKB Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 07/04/15 04:16 PM

It's just re-branding is all.
Posted By: Yolk Sac Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 07/04/15 05:05 PM
........sorry to break it to you, Sparkie, but now it's Fiat!
Posted By: esshup Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 07/04/15 05:50 PM
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Ben, I'm wondering if it came with a wheel lock key. The truck he rented when he came down for the conference didn't have one. A flat tire could have been an oopsy moment for sure.

Al, when I got back, I found the key and jack under the front passenger seat........
Posted By: esshup Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 07/04/15 05:52 PM
Rex, I'll bet if you hadn't backed the trailer over the edge of the pond, you would have been able to drive out.

Yesterday with no trailer 23.5 mpg. With the trailer it's been averaging around 19-20. 3.6L V6 gas motor.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 07/04/15 06:16 PM
Ain't nobody making me believe Fiat/Ram isn't Dodge....
Posted By: Rainman Re: No Longer Alone in the USA for 45 Days - 07/05/15 05:14 PM
Fatih, Kieth, The Triplets are growing fast! The urban deer here are well fed and were not at all skittish when I took this picture of them as fireworks were going off all around the area.

© Pond Boss Forum