Pond Boss
Posted By: Pat Williamson CRAPPIE SCHOOLING? - 10/28/14 01:26 PM
Was at the pond and noticed the water moving like minnows skittering around the surface with a few small splashes. This went on for a few minutes. I cast a small spinnerbait and on the first cast into the disrupted water I caught a 5-6"crappie. I was surprised. Do they school up like that and hit the surface. Haven't seen any FHM in a month hitting the pellets. Any ideas what they had rounded up?

Pat W
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: CRAPPIE SCHOOLING? - 10/28/14 02:19 PM
Probably the remaining fatheads
Posted By: snrub Re: CRAPPIE SCHOOLING? - 10/28/14 02:49 PM
Interesting to watch, a predator stalking its prey.

During the summer small BG use the air bubble plume out of the diffuser for cover or something in our main pond. They will ride the bubbles to the top in kind of an endless recycling stream. Periodically from the shore we would see small fish boiling around the diffuser air plume. Sometimes the fish boiling half way around, sometimes they would almost make a complete circle around it. Sometimes a few small BG (2" range) even flying up out of the water.

LMB were stalking the small BG around the diffuser. Chasing them around the air bubble stream. Interesting to watch. Might happen every 30 seconds for as long as we wanted to watch during certain times of the day.
© Pond Boss Forum