Pond Boss
Posted By: RobbDeuce Indoor trout pond - 08/04/14 03:23 PM
I'm thinking of building an indoor trout pond for a convention. (Like the one's you see at the Sportsman Shows but at a much smaller scale say 6'x8'). I'm interested to hear ideas and requirements. Thanks,
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Indoor trout pond - 08/04/14 04:28 PM
What would be the duration of stay for the fish? If you can keep it cool enough and enough oxygen for a short period of time such as at a Sportsman show you'll be fine. However after a period of time you will build up nitrogen waste products and the fish will poison themselves due to a build of of ammonia. The fish give off ammonia mostly from their gills but also from feces and uneaten feed.

If you want to hold them longer than short term you would have to have a biofilter and a way to mechanically clean the suspended and settleable solids out of the pool. You also need to keep the temps between 55 and 65 F. It can be done but get's much more involved.

Also trout are sensitive to nitrates which is a byproduct of nitrification vs. other species so the system would have to be more of a partial recirculating system if there is a significant load of fish. Literature says one new exchange of fresh water equal to the tank volume per day in commercial system.

That said, if you got a biofilter going and cycled before the fish are added,and some some kind of mechanical cleaning system ,it wouldn't be too difficult with a small amount of fish if you can keep the water cool enough and there is plenty of oxygen. You may be able to get away with less water exchange with a small amount of fish.

The other alternative is complete flow through from a ground water source where aerated cold well water is added and all the metabolites and solids are flushed out.
Posted By: RobbDeuce Re: Indoor trout pond - 08/05/14 12:13 AM
Thanks Cecil! It would only be for two days in a convention hall. It would be a fairly small "pond" like 6'x8' like I said. Any idea where I could get some literature? Thanks, Robb
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Indoor trout pond - 08/05/14 03:56 AM
Cecil's the man too talk too..
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Indoor trout pond - 08/05/14 04:23 AM
Originally Posted By: RobbDeuce
Thanks Cecil! It would only be for two days in a convention hall. It would be a fairly small "pond" like 6'x8' like I said. Any idea where I could get some literature? Thanks, Robb

If you can keep the water cool for two days with good aeration and there aren't too many you would probably be O.K. Maybe add ice?

I wouldn't feed them.
© Pond Boss Forum