Pond Boss
Posted By: one more cast Any idea what's living in here? - 06/16/14 04:59 PM
I just noticed these holes just off of the bank in about a foot of water. They are about 5"-6" in diameter.

Posted By: ewest Re: Any idea what's living in here? - 06/16/14 06:47 PM
Beaver , nutria or muskrats. Time for a trap.
Posted By: one more cast Re: Any idea what's living in here? - 06/16/14 07:05 PM
So I guess it's a good thing that I didn't stick my hand down in there to try and pull whatever it was out.
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Any idea what's living in here? - 06/16/14 07:59 PM
Muskrat I bet.
Posted By: one more cast Re: Any idea what's living in here? - 06/16/14 09:04 PM
I feel pretty sure that it is not a beaver. I haven't seen any trees that have been chewed on.
I knew that some of these animals would dig holes on the bank near water, but I didn't realize that any of them would actually dig holes under water.
Posted By: bryani289swmi Re: Any idea what's living in here? - 06/16/14 09:11 PM
I would say muskrat. The holes could have been dug during a time of low water and are now underwater due to a rising water level. Thanks.

Bryan
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Any idea what's living in here? - 06/17/14 10:24 AM
Originally Posted By: bryani289swmi
...The holes could have been dug during a time of low water and are now underwater due to a rising water level. Thanks.

Bryan
Those were my thoughts too. I'm not seeing any silt or slides.
Posted By: one more cast Re: Any idea what's living in here? - 06/17/14 12:33 PM
Originally Posted By: bryani289swmi
I would say muskrat. The holes could have been dug during a time of low water and are now underwater due to a rising water level. Thanks.

Bryan

That must be the deal. It's a new pond and the water level has been coming up. I am a little surprised that I didn't notice the holes earlier, but they are on the side of the pond farthest away from my house.

Thanks for all of the help,
Pat
Posted By: MSC Re: Any idea what's living in here? - 06/17/14 01:27 PM
Muskrat. If you want to get them, A 110 conibear trap right on top of the holes, wired off or cabled to a tree or something heavy, will finish them.
Posted By: dlowrance Re: Any idea what's living in here? - 06/17/14 05:56 PM
I was under the impression that most muskrat dens have an access hole below the waterline as a default. Is that not true? It sounds like you guys are saying that isn't the case.
Posted By: esshup Re: Any idea what's living in here? - 06/18/14 03:24 AM
The 'rat dens that I know of only have a entrance below the water.
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Any idea what's living in here? - 06/18/14 11:25 AM
Yes same as above. Only Muskrat holes I know of have a hole under the water level. The young will die if there is a high water event just after they are born in the den. Ma a pop have to leave or die too.

Don.

Any chance they are turtles digging out from the winter?
Posted By: john kelsey Re: Any idea what's living in here? - 06/18/14 11:25 AM
Lead a full assault on these rats. Have no mercy, they will take over your pond. I trapped twelve out of my pond two years ago. They ate up all my lilies. shock and awe.
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Any idea what's living in here? - 06/18/14 11:29 AM
Originally Posted By: john kelsey
Lead a full assault on these rats. Have no mercy, they will take over your pond. I trapped twelve out of my pond two years ago. They ate up all my lilies. shock and awe.

Do you have apple trees around your pond or close by? They will multiply 10 fold if there is good food around. Picked up over 10 in one box trap for five days straight once. Could hardly shake them out of the trap. Every rat in the ditch was heading to the apple trees on the shore line.
Posted By: one more cast Re: Any idea what's living in here? - 06/23/14 07:49 PM
Originally Posted By: DonoBBD
Originally Posted By: john kelsey

Do you have apple trees around your pond or close by? They will multiply 10 fold if there is good food around. Picked up over 10 in one box trap for five days straight once. Could hardly shake them out of the trap. Every rat in the ditch was heading to the apple trees on the shore line.

Nope no apple or any kind of fruit trees in the area.

I had no idea that a muskrat hole would be under the water line.

Thanks for the help guys.
© Pond Boss Forum