Pond Boss
Posted By: MSC LMB pic, would like to hear opinions. - 05/16/14 12:16 PM
Here is a pic that was posted on my states DNR fishing page website last year. It's a 12 year old kid.

First congrats to the young fisherman.

I would please like to hear everyone's opinions about this bass. Fat, skinny, what shape is this bass in?

I have the specifics but first, this LMB was caught on July 31st in a farm pond.

What is a LMB weight condition July 31st compared to other months?

Also just for fun, guess the weight of that bass just from the pic.

Posted By: Sunil Re: LMB pic, would like to hear opinions. - 05/16/14 12:34 PM
So, for MD, this LMB would be pretty far past spawning. It's not unhealthy, persay, but it's also not thriving.

Probably a case of not enough of the right sized forage for this size LMB.
That fish is skinny. It is most likely that there is not enough forage in the pond for the number of bass that are in it, but it is also possible that the bass is just old and on the decline. LMB are generally their lightest in late summer. I would guess 6lbs.
Posted By: MSC Re: LMB pic, would like to hear opinions. - 05/16/14 12:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Sunil
So, for MD, this LMB would be pretty far past spawning. It's not unhealthy, persay, but it's also not thriving.

Probably a case of not enough of the right sized forage for this size LMB.

Sunil, yes you are right, this bass was caught in southern Maryland, the LMB here spawn in May, by June 1st they are done.

But you didnt guess the weight. smile
Posted By: MSC Re: LMB pic, would like to hear opinions. - 05/16/14 12:44 PM
Here is a hint for guessing the weight...

He is just a little kid. wink
Posted By: MSC Re: LMB pic, would like to hear opinions. - 05/16/14 12:54 PM
Originally Posted By: one more cast
That fish is skinny. It is most likely that there is not enough forage in the pond for the number of bass that are in it, but it is also possible that the bass is just old and on the decline. LMB are generally their lightest in late summer. I would guess 6lbs.

I have to agree that it looks skinny.

Your guess of 6 lbs is under. smile
Posted By: Sunil Re: LMB pic, would like to hear opinions. - 05/16/14 01:49 PM
Between 6 & 7 lbs.????

I had a hint though!!
Posted By: MSC Re: LMB pic, would like to hear opinions. - 05/16/14 01:57 PM
Ok Sunil, thanks. You and one more cast are slightly off. smile
Posted By: MSC Re: LMB pic, would like to hear opinions. - 05/16/14 02:58 PM
Come on boys, take a guess at the weight of that bass just for fun.

But first, pics can be deceiving.

Remember the hint.

One more cast and Sunil are not really slightly off. They are way off smile
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: LMB pic, would like to hear opinions. - 05/16/14 03:28 PM
Okay I'll guess. To me it looks like close to 9 lbs +/- 8 oz What was the length of the bass so we can calculate the RW and look up the standard weight? The bass does look underweight, but it could be the angle that it was held for the picture. It is obviously a female.

If you do some proportional calculations using things in the picture the bass calculates to be 26"-27". Standard weight for these lengths of LMbass is 10.6 to 11.95 lbs.
Posted By: MSC Re: LMB pic, would like to hear opinions. - 05/16/14 03:36 PM
Way to go Bill Cody. You are much closer. That Bass was officially measured at 26". I would have never guessed the weight by looking at the pic. It looks skinny, but anyhow it is bigger than that. smile
Posted By: bassmower Re: LMB pic, would like to hear opinions. - 05/16/14 08:46 PM
11 lbs 6oz
Posted By: bassmower Re: LMB pic, would like to hear opinions. - 05/16/14 08:47 PM
Maryland state record
Posted By: MSC Re: LMB pic, would like to hear opinions. - 05/16/14 08:59 PM
Originally Posted By: bassmower
Maryland state record

Thats it.

11lb 6oz, 26" length, 18" girth.

The state biologist that officially checked it, said if it was in a fatter condition it could have weighed much more.

It has a monster head and it kinda has a hump back, but it looks skinny.

Posted By: Bocomo Re: LMB pic, would like to hear opinions. - 05/17/14 12:36 AM
Originally Posted By: MSC
Originally Posted By: bassmower
Maryland state record

Thats it.

11lb 6oz, 26" length, 18" girth.

The state biologist that officially checked it, said if it was in a fatter condition it could have weighed much more.

It has a monster head and it kinda has a hump back, but it looks skinny.

That's still above 100% RW. Must just be a weird photo.
Posted By: MSC Re: LMB pic, would like to hear opinions. - 05/18/14 12:40 PM
So if this LMB was 11-6 on July 31st, how much could she have possibly weighed just before the spawn like in late April?

The ponds around here do not have feeders. They are just typical LMB BG farm ponds.
Posted By: jakeb Re: LMB pic, would like to hear opinions. - 05/18/14 10:01 PM
Im interested in if there is a standard weight off eggs for weight of fish. Like will a 4lb bass make 4oz of eggs. or maybe something like 5-10% of bodyweight will be eggs right at time of spawn? Im sure a fish in better condition will make more eggs than one of the same weight/age but lower condition.

Anyone have an idea?

Btw I would have guessed the fish at 8lb
© Pond Boss Forum