Pond Boss
Posted By: Captain1 Snail question - Am I crazy to think... - 04/16/14 03:33 PM
I have searched the sight and read a string about common pond snails that seem to view them as "undesirable" in a farm pond. In my home tropical fish aquarium we spontaneously have hatched hundreds of what I believe to be trumpet snails. I have not added fish or plants for over a year and they just seemed to appear out of thin air. (long, skinny cone shaped with largest about 1/2 inch long. ) One of our ponds in East Texas has RES in it, but I have never seen any snails in that pond. I have contemplated adding these snails to the pond to help the RES. Am I crazy? What risks am I assuming if I add them and would this type of snail be appealing to the RES?
Posted By: esshup Re: Snail question - Am I crazy to think... - 04/16/14 03:36 PM
The only downside that I see is that snails are vectors for swimmers itch.
And forage for the RES!
Posted By: RC51 Re: Snail question - Am I crazy to think... - 04/16/14 07:13 PM
Yeah I has snails at first in my pond and I had some issues with black speck and flashing and some sores on my fish. I got 150 RES and I have not had an issue since after about a year my fish looked great! I would not put snails in my pond on purpose!

RC
Posted By: Captain1 Re: Snail question - Am I crazy to think... - 04/17/14 01:55 AM
Thanks for the input gents. I think I will leave the snails in my aquarium!
Originally Posted By: esshup
The only downside that I see is that snails are vectors for swimmers itch.

And other parasites!
Posted By: SoSauty Re: Snail question - Am I crazy to think... - 04/18/14 03:46 AM
You may not so much as be able to start a snail population with adult RES established. If there is a population, it'll be limited. Likely, if they can survive in your pond, they're already there.

A controlled snail population doesn't mean wantom disease and parasites will affect/infect swimmers, just slightly inceases the chances. Then there's the benefit of an additional food niche for your RES. As long as you have a healthy bunch of RES, snails have little chance of overpopulating.

Put some large RES in your aquarium and Presto, no more snails!
I come from a naturalist point of view in that the waters I find most interesting have a variety of life for a balance of what life must have been like before humans. I put snails into my pond. The common snails are just there but I put in the Ramshorn Snails and freshwater mussels that I found still surviving in a rare unpolluted stream in my county.
I too have purposely added snails and freshwater muscles since they occupy a spot on the pond ecosystem that I wanted. I have yet to notice any parasites on my fish, but my pond is less than a year old. I also don't use it for swimming.
Posted By: Captain1 Re: Snail question - Am I crazy to think... - 04/21/14 03:25 PM
I find freshwater mussels opened and likely consumed by a raccoon or some predator on the shore of my pond frequently and I never put them there. They must have a way of burrowing through the "sugar sand" deep in the underground springs.
Posted By: RAH Re: Snail question - Am I crazy to think... - 04/21/14 03:37 PM
If you added water plants with any soil attached, they may have hitch hiked in.
Posted By: BonZoso Re: Snail question - Am I crazy to think... - 04/30/14 08:31 PM
I have had trapdoor snails and freshwater mussels in my pond for 6 years and no ill effects. We swim in our pond.
Posted By: Otvorgan Re: Snail question - Am I crazy to think... - 05/05/14 03:12 AM
We once put some random species of creek snails in our fish tank... Long story short, we soon had hundreds and they stopped up the pumps/filters...
© Pond Boss Forum