Pond Boss
Posted By: scott69 more bluegill pics - 03/09/14 01:49 AM
Posted By: scott69 Re: more bluegill pics - 03/09/14 01:52 AM

Posted By: Sperger1 Re: more bluegill pics - 03/09/14 02:01 AM
Very nice fish. Wish ours were that big.
Posted By: esshup Re: more bluegill pics - 03/09/14 02:05 AM
Chartruse Stubby Steves gets the job done. Good job and great fish!!
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: more bluegill pics - 03/09/14 03:02 AM
So i have a question that may show my ignorance. The Stubby Steve pellets used as bait seem to work incredibly well. I was wondering if I used those in a lake where big bluegill are hard to catch if they would work? Or do they only work in ponds where pellet trained bluegill see it as as pellet and bite it out of a conditioned response?

If they work in larger BOW where bluegill have never seen a pellet, how long do they stay on the hook? Are they quite soft and easily pulled apart in the water? I'm just wondering how many I would need to buy and how many I might go through in an hour or 2 of fishing with my kids.

Also this one is chartreuse. Is it better to use darker colors in darker lakes and vice versa? The lake I hope to fish in is exceptionally clear down to 18 feet or so due to heavy zebra mussels. Fish are hard to catch there!

Thanks
Posted By: rmedgar Re: more bluegill pics - 03/09/14 03:33 AM
cc, I'll answer part of your question - you will probably catch at least 2-4 per pellet.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: more bluegill pics - 03/09/14 03:52 AM
Depends on a lot of factors but classic Stubby Steve's pellets would not be my first choice for hard to catch BG in a lake or pond where pellets are not fed. They are the #1 bait for BG in ponds and lakes where they are fed though...

Stubby Steve's do have a fish scent impregnated into them. So there is no doubt, that even a fish that has never seen a pellet, may show interest in Stubby Steve's.

Regardless, the things stay on the hook forever!
Posted By: esshup Re: more bluegill pics - 03/09/14 04:42 AM
They are doing exceptionally well on the professional crappie fishing tournament tour.

They also make them in different shapes - worms, crawfish, shrimp, etc.

http://www.stubbysteve.com/
© Pond Boss Forum