Pond Boss
Posted By: Bruce Condello Top 10 weirdest questions - 01/25/14 05:46 PM
When folks are building dikes to contain floodwaters what are the dimensions of the bags of sand that they typically use? Also if a person were to order a quantity of a couple thousand of these what might be the cost per unit?
Posted By: esshup Re: Top 10 weirdest questions - 01/25/14 05:50 PM
Just how high do you think the quarry will get? wink

sandbaggs (unfilled)
Posted By: JKB Re: Top 10 weirdest questions - 01/26/14 02:12 AM
Is this for the raceway pond?
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Top 10 weirdest questions - 01/26/14 04:42 AM
Prahhhh-bably. smile
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Top 10 weirdest questions - 01/26/14 04:57 AM
Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
Prahhhh-bably. smile

Whew, that's a relief to hear. Now I can stop looking for an acceptable substitute for Gopher wood, and I no longer need a calculator that converts "cubits" into feet and inches.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Top 10 weirdest questions - 01/26/14 01:12 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup

sandbaggs (unfilled)

How much are filled ones?
Posted By: fish n chips Re: Top 10 weirdest questions - 01/26/14 01:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Dwight
Originally Posted By: esshup

sandbaggs (unfilled)

How much are filled ones?

Depends on who you hire to fill it.

But if the sandbag has a hole, how much sand will it take to fill it?
Posted By: JKB Re: Top 10 weirdest questions - 01/26/14 02:48 PM
Prahhhh-bably. smile

Are you thinking about using the sandbags to build a berm type raceway, rather than dig it in the ground?
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Top 10 weirdest questions - 01/26/14 03:40 PM
Originally Posted By: JKB
Prahhhh-bably. smile

Are you thinking about using the sandbags to build a berm type raceway, rather than dig it in the ground?

I am thinking more in terms of stabilizing the edges so that the liner has a nice level area to sit the capstones.
Posted By: mpc Re: Top 10 weirdest questions - 01/26/14 05:29 PM
My experience is the bags are generally 24"W x 36" H. It depends on burlap or poly bag etc. Different areas of the country use different bags.
In general, the bags are filled to about 40# if you have civilian volunteers and up to 80#, if the national guard members are involved because they are in better shape than most civilian populations.

If volunteers are used, the cost will be the bags. If you pay people from the "Wagon Yard" it would be what you negotiate. If you can talk a group of Scouts or FFA students to help and give them a badge project or "pond learning project" for a report or essay they might need,it might be cheap.You can ask your "friends" to help and you will find in short order how many friend you really have if you are going to put out a thousand sand bags or more. If you are blessed and have a thousand friends show up,NO Problem", until you have to feed and serve drinks!!! GOOD LUCK and let us know how the sand bags hold up, I am surly curious.

P.S. If you do it all, and your back holds out, you will then say,most likely it is worth whatever can be negotiated, as long as I never have to do it again!!!!
Posted By: JKB Re: Top 10 weirdest questions - 01/26/14 05:48 PM
Prahhhh-bably. smile

I am thinking more in terms of stabilizing the edges so that the liner has a nice level area to sit the capstones.

That would be cool.

I was looking for an easy and inexpensive way to stabilize the edges of the 30' x 80' (lined) pond that will go by my garden (should I live long enough), and Mike Otto posted a reply to a thread that was totally unrelated.

He said to use bags of cement! Totally Genius!!!

They are already to dimension, filled, bags are biodegradable so the earth worms get a bit of lunch, set up solid after a while so it's more stable than sand, and is cheap if you buy in bulk. Plus, the cement place here will deliver for free and stage them about where they need to go so you don't have manually move them very far.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Top 10 weirdest questions - 01/26/14 05:58 PM
I could find out who we used locally a couple years back when the Missouri River was threatening. We sandbagged our entire office. It was a LOT of work. We had temps to fill them, but we did all the heavy tossing. There were a few techniques we used that would make the job more efficient that I could share with you.
Posted By: fish n chips Re: Top 10 weirdest questions - 01/26/14 07:53 PM
Prahhhh-bably. smile

That would be cool.

I was looking for an easy and inexpensive way to stabilize the edges of the 30' x 80' (lined) pond that will go by my garden (should I live long enough), and Mike Otto posted a reply to a thread that was totally unrelated.

He said to use bags of cement! Totally Genius!!!

They are already to dimension, filled, bags are biodegradable so the earth worms get a bit of lunch, set up solid after a while so it's more stable than sand, and is cheap if you buy in bulk. Plus, the cement place here will deliver for free and stage them about where they need to go so you don't have manually move them very far.

Along those lines JKB, I think Kelly Duffie posted some pics, maybe a year ago, of someone who used them along a channel. Can't remember what the original post was about to even look for it.
© Pond Boss Forum