Pond Boss
Posted By: DairyFarmer Top Predator - 08/26/13 07:34 PM
Would Blue Catfish work as the predominate predator in a large pond?

After consideration I think I may keep the walleyes in my smaller ponds, with forage just for them, then my 6 plus acre pond set it up as self sustaining.

main predator blue cat
secondary predator black crappie
redear sunfish
bluegill
green sunfish
fathead minnow
rosie red minnow
paper shell crawfish
freshwater mussels
then maybe add some paddle fish for something exotic
Posted By: KSBASS Re: Top Predator - 08/26/13 07:56 PM
What about some golden shiners?
Posted By: DairyFarmer Re: Top Predator - 08/26/13 10:23 PM
yes some Golden Shiners would be great addition, make them blues as big and fat as possible, blues reliably reproduce in a neighbors 4 acre pond, though he added way too many spawning barrels, and the blues out number their prey, but my neighbor dont eat them, I do, also my neighbor put in channels and flatheads, seeing how they hybridised in his pond, I wont do that, strictly blues, if it wasnt for that Id consider stocking from his pond, and I will limit the spawning areas to less than half dozen
Posted By: KSBASS Re: Top Predator - 08/26/13 11:26 PM
If your only going to have blues and want some big ones you might also consider some threadfin or gizzard shad.
Posted By: Shelby County Re: Top Predator - 08/27/13 01:17 AM
Hi KSBASS, what size pond would the shad do well in ? I have a 6 acre pond. What do the shad feed on?
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Top Predator - 08/27/13 01:22 AM
Shad of both species generally do best in ponds 3-5+ acres with a good bloom as they mostly filter feed.
Posted By: DairyFarmer Re: Top Predator - 08/27/13 03:02 AM
gizzard shad, dont they get kinda big, seen the hybrid bass feed on them at Monroe reservoir, Ive also seen them over populate small ponds, would the blues keep them under control ? Though my planned lake mis over 6 acres
Posted By: KSBASS Re: Top Predator - 08/27/13 03:06 AM
Shad can overpopulate but blues ge very large and can be very aggressive. Its just a option to consider.
Posted By: DairyFarmer Re: Top Predator - 08/27/13 03:14 AM
I like it, realy I dont think you can get too much forage, especialy if you want large fish,
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Top Predator - 08/28/13 01:48 AM
I would on stocking gizzard shad in this stocking scenario until several years after the cats and HSB are stocked. Keep in mind, a gizzard shad can be over a foot long in 2 years. Only the largest and I do mean largest of HSB could ever feed on a shad that large. And it would take a 20 plus pound blue cat. Gonna take a few years for the original HSB and blue cat stockers to attain sizes large enough to properly control the gizzard shad.
Posted By: DairyFarmer Re: Top Predator - 08/28/13 11:16 AM
Thats what I was wondering about CJB, I think I could wait and see before introducing shad, wait until the blues and HSB are big, and could use some extra feed.
Posted By: KSBASS Re: Top Predator - 08/28/13 12:36 PM
I would agree with CJB.
© Pond Boss Forum