Pond Boss
Posted By: george1 STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 04/03/13 01:14 PM
Steve, of Stubby Steves fame, has asked me to field-test their new Stubby worms on Largemouth Bass. “We can count on you for an honest evaluation”- singed, Steve

Little did he know that I am a lousy bass fisherman, not having the patience to apply the angling skills for LMB success – but I have a plan!

I have a couple of avid “dyed in the wool”, long time successful Largemouth Bass fishermen that are eager and anxious to do the serious testing of the new Stubby Worms, not entirely discounting other species caught in the process.
Both have double-digit LMB successful LMB experience.

1. I’ll give it my best shot but mainly will be the reporter and record keeper.
2. Jeff Glazener, of Glazener Ponds and avid LMB fisherman.
3. Allen Hall, former BASS tournament Pro and noted PB member.

Bass fishing will not be limited to their private ponds however – both live within a few miles of Lake Fork, famous for “Share Lunker” 13+lb LMB program.

This going to be fun – let the games begin!
George

Posted By: george1 Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 04/11/13 12:07 PM
OK, we love Smallies too -
First responder is Stacy of Stubby Steve fame with a nice SMB caught on a Stubby - nice fish Stacy!

All SMB as well as LMB caight on Stubbys please post photo whether caught from pond or public waters..
G/
Posted By: RER Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 04/11/13 01:10 PM
I tried the SS worms at my secret redfish spot yesterday and did not get a bite. I also used fresh shrimp and did not get a bite on that either...Ill try again in a few weeks.
Posted By: george1 Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 04/11/13 01:42 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
Psstt....

George, look at the date in the picture.....

(yeah, I know it's not a Bass)

Yeah, I've caught HSB on Stubbys that could have eaten that "troot" but this thread if for SMB and LMB only... grin

Steve has expressed an interest in determing Non-Feed trained species reaction to the new Stubby lures and already had positive data on crappie - we thought we would focus on LMB in our area - eapecially Florida strain LMB,
G/
Posted By: george1 Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 04/11/13 01:44 PM
Originally Posted By: BobbyRice
I tried the SS worms at my secret redfish spot yesterday and did not get a bite. I also used fresh shrimp and did not get a bite on that either...Ill try again in a few weeks.

Our LMB are pre-spawn/spawn right now and they are trying to kill the Stubby instead of eating - best tests will be post-spawn.
G/
Posted By: esshup Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 04/11/13 02:27 PM
Originally Posted By: george1
Yeah, I've caught HSB on Stubbys that could have eaten that "troot" but this thread if for SMB and LMB only... grin

Steve has expressed an interest in determing Non-Feed trained species reaction to the new Stubby lures and already had positive data on crappie - we thought we would focus on LMB in our area - eapecially Florida strain LMB,
G/

Well, then that limits this thread to BOW's where the fish aren't pellet fed.....

I've got a buddy that is going down to Reelfoot Lake in Tenn in 6 days. He's going for Crappie and Bluegills. He'll have a pocket full of Stubby's to take with. wink
Posted By: george1 Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 04/11/13 02:52 PM

Steve has expressed an interest in determing Non-Feed trained species reaction to the new Stubby lures and already had positive data on crappie - we thought we would focus on LMB in ou..r area - eapecially Florida strain LMB,
G/

Well, then that limits this thread to BOW's where the fish aren't pellet fed.....

I've got a buddy that is going down to Reelfoot Lake in Tenn in 6 days. He's going for Crappie and Bluegills. He'll have a pocket full of Stubby's to take with. wink

Scott, no reports of pond feed trained pure Florida LMB that I am aware of - feed trained northern LMB do not count... smile
Posted By: esshup Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 04/11/13 03:15 PM
Scott, no reports of pond feed trained pure Florida LMB that I am aware of - feed trained northern LMB do not count... smile

George:

Do not count as in they can't be used for the test, or that they aren't feed trained pure Florida LMB so they CAN be used?
wink grin

They're down sulking now anyway. Over a 30°F temp change from yesterday.........
Posted By: george1 Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 04/11/13 03:31 PM
Scott, ANY non-feed trained LMB can be used for this test per Steve's suggestions.

NO feed trained bass in our ponds or Allen's lake and ponds - all pure Florida LMB which have the reputation for being difficult to catch.

This will be good data for Stubby Steve research so we want to keep it pure and simple as possible.
We will be noting time of year - water and weather conditions - pre-spawn - post-spawn etc.

All submittals are requested and welcome.
G/
Posted By: Cisco Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 04/11/13 09:47 PM
I just tried to order some but you guys seem to have the website clogged up. I'll try again in a few minutes. I'd love to try some on my Florida bass. I haven't been able to entice them much on other lures yet. My bass are almost 3 yrs old now so they should be ready!
Posted By: JKB Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 04/11/13 10:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Cisco
I just tried to order some but you guys seem to have the website clogged up. I'll try again in a few minutes. I'd love to try some on my Florida bass. I haven't been able to entice them much on other lures yet. My bass are almost 3 yrs old now so they should be ready!

You can order them from esshup, Hoosier Pond Pros. Same price, and they ship direct from Stubby Steve's, at least mine did. Send esshup a PM and he will take care of it.

Cool window sticker too!

Posted By: george1 Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 04/11/13 10:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Cisco

Todd Overton of Overton Fisheries is a Stubby Steve dealer.
G/
Posted By: Cisco Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 04/11/13 10:45 PM
I got them on the way. I didn't know the other guys you mentioned were able to get them. Can't wait to use them. I had some of the pellets a few years ago and worked pretty good but I really want to see if I can get my bass to hit one of the worms. I also bought some of the Chubbys to try on the catfish.
Posted By: george1 Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 04/16/13 09:19 PM
OK, Jeff Glazener of Glazener Ponds gets credit for first ever non feed trained pure Florida LMB caught on a Stubby Steves worm....he call this his "finesse" hook set... cool

Posted By: Cisco Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 04/16/13 09:58 PM
That's what I needed to see George. I got mine in the mail yesterday so friday afternoon, I'll give them a shot. Pics to follow(with some luck)
Posted By: JKB Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 04/16/13 10:47 PM
What turned the worm Yellow?, or is that a secret color for your tests? Did the green fade a bit, or the pigments dissolve toward the side of yellow?

I bought a new ultra light a couple days ago (ugly stick rig) and tossed a LB (green chartreuse) worm out on a dismal day. Just checking it out. Oh yeah, I could see that from some distance, and the action was pretty decent.

I think the 3/4a pond out back may have winter-killed tho. I'll check for signs of life in a bit.
Posted By: Cisco Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 04/16/13 11:06 PM
They have some that are yellowish in color. Although, George may have added something! I wish I had ordered the 4" version now.
Posted By: george1 Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 04/16/13 11:10 PM
Yellow?
I call it chartreaus - you know I am color blind, right? grin
"If it ain't chartreaus - it ain't no use!
G/
Posted By: JKB Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 04/17/13 12:09 AM

"If it ain't chartreuse - it ain't no use!
G/

You got that right George!!! grin grin grin

Chartreuse is in the color spectrum from yellow to green. Mostly in the green side of things up here, and what we call it.

But you know, that colors really matter! How the ambient conditions work with the color. Smell ain't the only thing!
Posted By: Stacy4Stubby Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 04/17/13 12:45 AM
AWESOME!!!! This is really exciting! smile
Posted By: ewest Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 04/17/13 02:16 PM
George I have suggested to you a hundred times - let Mrs. G pick out the colors. She is the best I have ever encountered at selection. If you hand her the rod you know she will out fish you again !!! laugh

Those SS worms look goooood!
Posted By: george1 Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 04/17/13 03:25 PM
Originally Posted By: ewest
George I have suggested to you a hundred times - let Mrs. G pick out the colors. She is the best I have ever encountered at selection. If you hand her the rod you know she will out fish you again !!! laugh

Those SS worms look goooood!

Yeah - I know.... cry
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 04/17/13 03:57 PM
Eric, I've never met a woman who loves to fish more than Nicky. She'll be catching fish before you can get a bait tied on. George did very well.
Posted By: george1 Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 04/17/13 04:54 PM
As most of my friends know, she is a self-taught flyfisher - she does not take instruction well - if at all... laugh
Yep, she whups me every trip!

G/
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 04/17/13 06:07 PM
I guess she does out fish you. She's not color blind.
Posted By: george1 Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 04/20/13 02:27 PM
Just reminding everyone that this thread is for testing Stubby worms on non-feed trained LMB.
My "team" is testing usage on pure Florida LMB.
Thanks,
George
Posted By: esshup Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 04/20/13 02:39 PM
Oops, sorry George. I'll start a new thread and move posts.

O.K. George, I think I got the offending posts moved. If you want me to move any more, PM me. wink

Here's where the posts moved to.

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=331373#Post331373
Posted By: JKB Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 04/20/13 07:16 PM
Pretty cool to see your work George! Thanks!!!

I was one of the offending posters on your specific thread. Sorry about that!

Scott had moved the offending content to a new thread, for us amateurs to play with, So, we have our own thread now! The no ones!

Good thing is to stick with your original research and accomplish the goals set out. That is the purpose!, Correct?
Posted By: george1 Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 04/20/13 08:52 PM
JKB, Steve of Stubby Steve fame asked me to field test the new Stubby worms on non-feed trained Largemouth Bass.
I wanted to keep this thread on focus as much as possible to collect accurate data to achieve objective results.

As you and other "bass" anglers know, LMB are largely "reaction" feeders as well schooling feeders at other times of the year.
During the pre-spawn period the male guarding the nest will try to kill a lure and sometimes the female will simply pick up a lure and move it from the nest.

We will observe all of the variables to determine if it is the action of the lure that initiates a strike or if a sitting still Stubby lure initiate the strike becasuse of the scent or attractant.

Al (FireIsHot), a former Bass tournament fisherman and Jeff Glazener, a life long avid bass angler, and I will concentrate on pure Florida LMB.
Both have caught double digit bass - not me ….

We would like for all non-feed train LMB caught on Stubby Steve lures, photos and data be posted.

Results of our study, observations and conclusions will be submitted directly to Stubby Steve for their use.

We need all the help we can get - hope you understand.
George
Posted By: esshup Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 04/21/13 12:49 AM
George, I have both feed trained LMB in my pond, and non-feed trained LMB in my pond. It's easy to tell them apart, the feed trained ones are all tagged. I'll post pics in your thread if I catch any without tags.
Posted By: george1 Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 04/21/13 10:54 AM
Thanks Scott, that will really be good information for our SS folks.
Note if you can, whether a reaction strike or scent attraction.

Our tests are restricted to pure Florida LMB because of the reputation for being hard to catch - should be interesting to see results. Results to date are with pre-spawn/spawn fish and have all been reaction with no hook-ups except male LMB reaction strike that Jeff caught - he did catch a big female on a spinner bait for comparison purposes.

Have fun,
George
Posted By: esshup Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 04/21/13 10:58 AM
George, do you have any Northern or F1's?
Posted By: george1 Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 04/21/13 11:09 AM
Only pure DNA tested Florida LMB in two ponds - obtained from Overton.
Al (FireIsHot) has all pure Florida LMB in his lake - original stockers from Bob Waldrop.

None have ever been caught on AQMX 600 or Stubby pellets in 10 years so positive not pellet trained.
G/
Posted By: george1 Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 05/07/13 02:59 PM
Non-feed trained native LMB from Brian's pond.
Texas rigged 4 inch Stubby worm.

Posted By: george1 Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 05/12/13 12:43 PM
Florida LMB from Jeff Glazener:
"Yesterday afternoon I fished with a brown stubby for about twenty minutes and a rattle trap for the same amount of time. I was able to cover more water with the Rattle trap, but didn't catch a fish.. They seem to have lock jaw. However I did catch a small bass on the brown stubby.."

Posted By: george1 Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 05/29/13 12:36 PM

Al's Florida LMB
It counts with an * since it was caught on a Stubby pellet.

"Now, here's the real story. I had caught over 2 dozen small female CNBG's and all were 4-6 long. Caught most of them on consecutive casts. I broke the mosquito hook when I caught the CNBG above, so I changed hooks, and decided one more fish and I was done.

I hooked another small
l female, and the water exploded. The CNBG was thrown in the air, and this 3.5# LMB somehow had gotten hooked on that tiny #6 mosquito hook while attempting to eat the CNBG. So the question is? Is this a SS's LMB or a live bait LMB? Either would be a first for me."
Posted By: ewest Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 05/29/13 02:39 PM
It was caught on a hook that had a SS pellet ! It was attracted by the CNBG. So I am exercising the Chicago option and voting more than once - I vote both.
Posted By: george1 Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 06/14/13 09:53 PM
Florida LMB caught on a Texas Rigged Stubby Steve Worm.
George Glazener 06-14-13

Posted By: esshup Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 06/14/13 11:06 PM
What rod/reel and weight line?
Posted By: george1 Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 06/14/13 11:54 PM
What rod/reel and weight line?

Fly Rod - Temple Fork Outfitters 6-8 Mini-Mag
Fly Reel -Temple Fork Outfitters 6-8 Prism
Fly Line - Teeny 200 full sink
Straight leader - 3ft, 12lb Ande mono
cool
Posted By: esshup Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 06/15/13 01:24 AM
Thanks George. You have 8 or 9 wt on it?
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 06/15/13 04:00 AM
Must of been is prototype if you caught that in 03 smile
Posted By: george1 Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 06/15/13 11:00 AM
Thanks George. You have 8 or 9 wt on it?

Scott, Teeny lists grain wt on integrated full sinking fly lines.
A Teeny 200 full sinker would be an 8wt fly line @ 210 grains.
G/
Posted By: esshup Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 06/15/13 12:33 PM
O.K. I've never seen it expressed that way.
Posted By: george1 Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 06/15/13 02:47 PM
Scott, I had much rather see grain weight listed for fly lines than out dated numbers that don't agree with rod performance.
Get out your powder measure and weigh the first thirty feet which line weights are listed, and check against standard grain weights - you will be surprised at what you will find.

What the HECK does this have to do with STUBBY WORMS - Field test?
grin
Posted By: esshup Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 06/15/13 04:53 PM
Scott, I had much rather see grain weight listed for fly lines than out dated numbers that don't agree with rod performance.
Get out your powder measure and weigh the first thirty feet which line weights are listed, and check against standard grain weights - you will be surprised at what you will find.

What the HECK does this have to do with STUBBY WORMS - Field test? grin

Will do. Hey, if it was attached to the Stubby Worm, then it's O.K. grin
Posted By: george1 Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 06/15/13 05:37 PM
Yep, it WAS - and IS!
You need to help us catch a pure Florida LMB on a Stubby Worm out of your buddy's lakes at Miller Grove .....
Al and I are the only others that have exclusive Florida LMB in our area ponds/lakes that I know... cool
G/
Posted By: esshup Re: STUBBY WORMS - Field Test - 06/15/13 06:13 PM
George, I'll make it a priority next time I'm there.
© Pond Boss Forum