Pond Boss
Posted By: highflyer East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/07/13 10:06 PM
For all of us without ICE on our ponds and want to try a local flair in our fishing tales, I propose this thread!!

I will be posting my fishing pictures here. I will be dealing with the fish I catch in our East Texas pond. This is not to spite anyone, I just would like to try a regional spin on fish catching and the things that work in our southern ponds.

Besides, a little competition never hurt anyone!!!

Here are some simple rules:

1. Southern waters and southern fish, I don't want to talk about pike, Walleye, yellow perch, ect. ( not because I don't like them, they just don't belong in our waters)

2. If you are claiming length, width, girth, weight, a record, ect, prove it with a scale, or a tape measure, ect.

3. Cheating in good fun is allowed, but when you are called on it, fess up!!

Remember, this is about fishing, having fun and the pondboss family!!

You darn Yankees start your own northern thread and lets see who get the best involvement!!

Now get posting!!
Posted By: george1 Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/07/13 10:09 PM
"for old time's sake"

OK Gang - head 'em up and herd 'em out!
Posted By: Bing Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/08/13 03:18 AM
George your fingers seem very small.
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/08/13 03:32 AM
Well, I think George just whipped all y'all fellas! Might as well shut this thread down now! laugh
Posted By: george1 Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/08/13 11:01 AM
Originally Posted By: Todd3138
Well, I think George just whipped all y'all fellas! Might as well shut this thread down now! laugh

Nah - Brian (Highflyer) and Al (Fireishot) are just tossing out the bait to get me hooked - both have well stocked 11 acre lakes with forage/grow-out ponds and are culling fish bigger than mine.. grin
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/08/13 12:08 PM
Not me, I got a puddle! But what I will post is the picture of you with the TX private water's fly fishing state LMB record. The plan's coming together George.
Posted By: george1 Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/08/13 12:43 PM
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Not me, I got a puddle! But what I will post is the picture of you with the TX private water's fly fishing state LMB record. The plan's coming together George.

My head is in the clouds Al....cool
I have been informed that this private "pond" produced a 16 pound LMB last year IIRC - EVERY bass under 14 inches is required to be tossed on the bank!

Al runs a low profile on LMB expertise - he previously owned property on renowned Lake Fork and fished the tournament trail.
He is "tight" with lure manufactures and has given me some of his "best kept secret" lure ideas.

Many of you fly fishermen know that some of the best bass flies have their origin in bass lures.
I have a "secret fly" prototype we are developing!

Not to mention Brian's 11 acre "puddle" that needs fishin'!

OH yeah, I can't let all this exciting stuff interfere with culling as many male Florida LMB from our pond to improve odds of one on one Camelot Bell mating... gonna be an exciting year.

All of our adopted "Southern States" fishermen are invited to join in with posting photos of southern fish - CNBG photos will qualify for membership! Post your southern photos!
George

ps: Brian is curently flyin' somewhere around the world right, so Al and I are taking some liberties here... laugh
Posted By: highflyer Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/09/13 12:28 AM
Well I am glad to see George is staying reserved on this thread!!

I am headed to the farm on friday to get ready for a few visitors the following week and we will be fishing so I hope to have a few pictures to kick off this years fishing from our pond!!

I think I may take up fly fishing this summer just to keep George going, besides, by then, Allen should be tying master flies by then!
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/09/13 02:59 AM
Hopefully I'll get some pics up week after next myself. Been swamped with family stuff, but hopefully things will settle down soon.

2012 was a weird year fishing at my place. It seemed like all I caught were 2's and 10's. Big gap in sizes is somewhat confusing to me.
Posted By: george1 Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/09/13 11:47 AM
Hopefully I'll get some pics up week after next myself. Been swamped with family stuff, but hopefully things will settle down soon.

2012 was a weird year fishing at my place. It seemed like all I caught were 2's and 10's. Big gap in sizes is somewhat confusing to me.

Allen, Brian and I are going to help you cull those 2 lb LMB but you catch the 10 pounders... grin
Post the photo of your 11 pounder with the BIG CNBG (IIRC)stuck in it's throat?
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/09/13 12:22 PM
George I'll look for the pic, but the CNBG was probably around a pound.

The bigger question for me is where are the 5,6 and 7's? I am going to cull far more than ever this year to help my long term plans, and greatly increase protective habitat for the CNBG. I hope the combo works. My RW ratio is not as good as I would like it, and I need to give the forage a year or two to rebound.
Posted By: Zep Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/09/13 02:51 PM
This Portland-like rain we are getting this week in North/East Texas should help our ponds. Keep it coming!

I think it supposed to rain all day again today!

Posted By: highflyer Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/10/13 10:47 PM
My spys tell me that we got over 3 and a half inches by 3:30PM yesterday!! I can't wait to get out there tomorrow and see the differences!!

I pray for a full pool before spring!!
Posted By: Zep Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/10/13 11:28 PM
Brian I was going Saturday but now they are predicting more rain coming Sat...with sunshine and a high of 70 degrees tomorrow I decided to take Friday off and head to east Texas. Tomorrow should be a near perfect day...a bit muddy, but ya gotta take advantage of a 70 degree day in freaking January!
Posted By: highflyer Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/11/13 04:39 AM
Agreed!! GET FISHING!!!

I'll be out at our place tomorrow and I'll be wetting a few lures, I'll post any good ones I find on the line smile
Posted By: highflyer Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/13/13 03:45 PM
Well we got rain yesterday and the day before!! The pond is filling nicely now! Since the beginning of December the pond is up about two feet, maybe even a little more than that.

The fish were not taking any top water food but with the rain and wind, I did not expect to see any action on the top. Now I am hoping for really good warmer weather towards the end of Jan as I will have a few friends out to the place to have some fun and hopefully do some fishing!!

Here is what the little pond looks likes now after all that work!!

Looks like I need a new trail to around the swimming area!! A GOOD PROBLEM TO HAVE!!!

This is a picture of the duck island and the surrounding area. With the available light, this picture turned out almost black and white....

Well after this next sim check and a trip or two, I should be back at the farm fishing and working on the solar powered aerator!! and a few surprises!!
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/13/13 04:42 PM
I need venders, itemized list of components, and total running cost of equipment. XLS format would be nice. I think if I do this, I'll put it all in a used truck tool box. Waterproof, made to last, lockable, and cheap on Craig's List. I'm spending money in my head, and it's killing me not to have a starting point. I have 2 small ponds this would be perfect for.

Oh, sorry I forgot. Please and thank you Buddy. laugh
Posted By: highflyer Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/13/13 06:46 PM
An old tool box might be just the thing to use to store all the components!! Great Idea!! Of course the solar panels will need to be on the outside for better performance..... smile

I am going to place the whole thing on a concrete pad next to the panels for simplicity sake.

Are you interested in the solar tracking version or just the fixed panels version?
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/13/13 07:09 PM
Brian, please slow down I'm taking notes! Let's see, "solar panels on outside of box". Got it.

That's what I was thinking about the toolbox. Everybody makes them, TSC, UWS, etc. and they're on Craig's List starting at around $50.

Batteries and pump in the bottom, and electrical components on the upper sides. Install a couple of 120mm 12V side fans, and you're ready to go. Neat and tidy.

Fixed, I'm poor.
Posted By: Zep Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/13/13 10:24 PM
Originally Posted By: highflyer

Beautiful pond Brian.

Can't wait to see your timber fully flooded.

Posted By: george1 Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/13/13 11:00 PM
Brian, I'm with Mark, can't wait to fish the flooded timber - you know my favorite spot! I know it's exciting to see your lake on the rise!
Hard work and clean livin' pays off every time... grin
George
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/13/13 11:14 PM
I see a lot more blabbing than fishing going on in this "southern fishing 2013" thread?? Also why is it named east texas fishing 2013 that kinda limits your southern involvement kinda biased if you ask me smile

About to page 2 and only pics of fish that weren't caught in 2013.. Sounds like too easy of a challenge for us northern boys..
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/14/13 12:27 AM
BGK, you're absolutely correct. I'm hoping now that my Mother In Law has peacefully passed, I'll actually get to fish some.

Been at home for a while and talking about fishing is all I've been able to do. I'll try to pick up the pace. smile
Posted By: sprkplug Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/14/13 12:38 AM
I look forward to your efforts AL. Sorry to hear about the MIL.
Posted By: george1 Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/14/13 12:43 AM
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller
I see a lot more blabbing than fishing going on in this "southern fishing 2013" thread?? Also why is it named east texas fishing 2013 that kinda limits your southern involvement kinda biased if you ask me smile

About to page 2 and only pics of fish that weren't caught in 2013.. Sounds like too easy of a challenge for us northern boys..

BGK, like Al says - lots of personal stuff goin’ on - soon as I get my CT scan done tomorrow and results back later in the water, I’ll try to get to the pond for some blue gill photos for you - CNBG - know you love bluegills.

This time of year we are usually stocking, placing structure and general maintenance, not being restrained by "hard water". grin

Oh yeah, the East Texas thing - we got N.E. Texas, "Deep" East Texas, and S.E. Texas - each being about the size of Illinois.
Invitatiion is out for all states/areas that can grow CNBG and Florida LMB.
George
Posted By: esshup Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/14/13 01:06 AM
George, we can grow those here, just gotta be indoors during the winter! wink grin
Posted By: george1 Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/14/13 01:12 AM
Originally Posted By: esshup
George, we can grow those here, just gotta be indoors during the winter! wink grin

Scott, your East Texas buddy initiated you into the club by your overhauling his flooded TH hunter - and the 2 lb CNBG you caught from his lake - you hold the record!

G/
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/14/13 01:32 AM
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
I look forward to your efforts AL. Sorry to hear about the MIL.

Thanks, but it's all good. She'd been very sick and now she's in a better place. Didn't mean to make it public.

Reels spooled, baits sorted, I'm jonesing to fish!
Posted By: n8ly Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/14/13 01:36 AM
Pretty much us northerners got January in the bag!! My prediction is the only month they may have a shot at even being a legitimate contender is March...Texas fishing is overrated and northern fishing is underrated... How's that for some smack...bring it on....lets see what you got?
Posted By: ewest Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/14/13 01:36 AM
Sorry to hear about your MIL. Been thru that on all parents except my MIL.

The lake time will help.
Posted By: george1 Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/14/13 02:17 AM
Originally Posted By: n8ly
Pretty much us northerners got January in the bag!! My prediction is the only month they may have a shot at even being a legitimate contender is March...Texas fishing is overrated and northern fishing is underrated... How's that for some smack...bring it on....lets see what you got?
Now Nate, behave yourself!!!
You know you're not a southern Bubba or Redneck.. grin
Come on down and test the waters... laugh
Posted By: n8ly Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/14/13 03:26 AM
Ill behave myself when you guys prove yourself.....everyone will agree we got January locked up, your only hope at this point is a hail mary or some fluke last second field goal...but at the rate you guys get out fishing its in the bag... signed, sealed, delivered... on to February....
Posted By: george1 Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/14/13 11:02 AM
Ill behave myself when you guys prove yourself.....everyone will agree we got January locked up, your only hope at this point is a hail mary or some fluke last second field goal...but at the rate you guys get out fishing its in the bag... signed, sealed, delivered... on to February....

Nate, read the rules.... grin

I will be posting my fishing pictures here. I will be dealing with the fish I catch in our East Texas pond. This is not to spite anyone, I just would like to try a regional spin on fish catching and the things that work in our southern ponds.
Besides, a little competition never hurt anyone!!!

Here are some simple rules:

1. Southern waters and southern fish, I don't want to talk about pike, Walleye, yellow perch, ect. ( not because I don't like them, they just don't belong in our waters)

2. If you are claiming length, width, girth, weight, a record, ect, prove it with a scale, or a tape measure, ect.
3. Cheating in good fun is allowed, but when you are called on it, fess up!!

Remember, this is about fishing, having fun and the pondboss family!!

You darn Yankees start your own northern thread and lets see who get the best involvement!!

Now get posting!!

Posted By: n8ly Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/14/13 12:51 PM
Rules are made to be broken, bent, altered, changed, and ignored....
Posted By: george1 Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/14/13 02:49 PM
Rules are made to be broken, bent, altered, changed, and ignored....

Hopalong Cassidy's Creed for American Boys and Girls
The highest badge of honor a person can wear is honesty. Be truthful at all times.
If you want to be respected, you must respect others. Show good manners in every way!
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/17/13 04:21 PM
Might aswell delete this thread smile
Posted By: Zep Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/18/13 11:20 PM
Any of you East Texas fellers know of anyone with a 12, 14, 16 foot cattle guard for sale? Been checking Craigslist and the prices are about the same as the new ones at Hootens Hardware in Emory.

Hootens
Posted By: JKB Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/19/13 01:37 AM

Too much Snow in Texas. They are immobilized! laugh

They'll come out strong... When it is 110 outside eek

I've been to Texas!
Posted By: Zep Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/19/13 02:15 AM
with tomorrow's forecast...we should survive!

Posted By: jludwig Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/19/13 04:14 AM
Originally Posted By: Zep
Any of you East Texas fellers know of anyone with a 12, 14, 16 foot cattle guard for sale? Been checking Craigslist and the prices are about the same as the new ones at Hootens Hardware in Emory.

Hootens

Do you have any friends that can weld you up one? Might be a bit cheaper.

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/grd/3473520649.html

I am not sure if this guy will still have it or not.
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/19/13 05:19 AM
with tomorrow's forecast...we should survive!

65 here's swimmin weather..
Posted By: george1 Re: East Texas Grand Slam - 01/19/13 10:20 PM

Hey BGK my friend - Don’t mess with Texas….. laugh

Hot fish in cold water - 10 am, 45 degrees - 3 pm 47 degrees.
Yesterday afternoon and this morning.

Two largest HSB came from ¼ acre pond - no supplemental feeding - no aeration - forage CNBG, tilapia and LMB fingerlings.

OTS CNBG almost on every cast - probably caught more than a hundred mostly 6-8 inch yearling ~8 months old - some of Overton’s latest YOY.
Don’t know where mama’s and papas were hiding.

Small florida LMB completes Grand Slam - hey they all count one.

OK, all you Southern guys and gals, start posting photos…
George

Posted By: sprkplug Re: East Texas Grand Slam - 01/19/13 10:25 PM
Good fish george! I'm anxious to see some photos of those OTS CNBG also!
Posted By: ewest Re: East Texas Grand Slam - 01/19/13 11:13 PM
Nice fish George ! Hey I like those goats as well.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: East Texas Grand Slam - 01/19/13 11:24 PM
There we go..great looking BG also!
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: East Texas Grand Slam - 01/20/13 12:30 AM
Good job George all beautiful fish, looks like you'll be the one keeping this thread afloat.. Man it was 66 here today all the ice melted again I was gonna hit the water tomorrow but they say high of 35 now.. Might give it a shot anyways if the waters open I got a couple spots I wanna hot besides my dock..
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/20/13 11:34 PM
OK, just rolled in from the farm and our first weekend of fishing. I'll tell you right off the bat that our fish pics aren't near as nice as TJ's and George's. We had absolutely no luck catching my CNBG in 48 degree water, but we figured out the LMB yesterday afternoon.

We discussed it, and this was the first time we fished our place in January. I'll throw and olive branch out to you Northern guys. It was cold in the mornings and evenings, but it was a blast fishing in the winter (for us). We'll definitely do it again. Week after next, I'm going after big girls, so we'll see how that goes. Huge jigs will hopefully be the ticket.

All the LMB were caught on really, really slow jerk baits after a couple of hours searching for them. Once we found out where they were at, we loaded up. All were 1/2 to 1 1/2 pounds, and I think we caught around 30 for the weekend. My wife hooked one big girl, and broke 14 pound line after 3 hard runs. 10 of the fish were loaded with eggs, so it was good to get them removed.

And yes, my wife out fished me.

Yesterday's catch

This morning's catch

Posted By: FireIsHot Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/21/13 12:06 AM

Hootens

I don't Mark, but I bought some used drilling pipe there yesterday. I love Hootens.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/21/13 02:24 AM
Nice goin' Al and the missus'!

Try downsizing for those Coppernose Al....fish slow and low....
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/21/13 12:13 PM
SP, I will. Also tying pellet flies this week, getting ready for more fly rod fishing this year. I have a senior type buddy that proved to me repeatedly that CNBG love pellet flies. laugh

I'm pulling all my feeders out for maintenance next trip down because I haven't seen one CNBG feed in a month. Seems my fish finally shut down for a month or so of cold weather.
Posted By: george1 Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/21/13 12:51 PM
Al, don't stop feeding!
Friday afternoon blue bird day - no CNBG feeding but caught fish after fish on sinking pellet flies.
Saturday morning light wind turned SE and when feeder went off CNBG splashed water out to the shoreline!
Water temp was 45 degrees!
G/

ps: Don/'t downsize - nothing smaller than a #6 bait hook - catch larger CNBG and avoid gut hooked fish... smile
Posted By: esshup Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/21/13 10:12 PM
Agreed about the feeder. Adjust feed time to feed an hour or 2 after the hottest part of the day when the water temp is the warmest.

The CNBG and LMB are feeding here at LL2.
Posted By: highflyer Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/24/13 02:30 AM
BJK

Meet BlueGill Eater!!!

3Lbs 14 ozs Not bad for a pond that is two years old and started with fingerlings.

Posted By: Zep Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/24/13 02:39 AM
Nice fish Brian.
Posted By: highflyer Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/24/13 02:44 AM
Mark get in on this!! It is all good fun!!
Posted By: highflyer Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/24/13 03:01 AM
By the way, Allen did well as well!!

Here is the measurement of my Football:

Esshup says it is 145%RW
Posted By: Zep Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/24/13 03:14 AM
Mark get in on this!! It is all good fun!!

Brian...going to the property tomorrow. Supposed to be a nice 70 degree day. Hope to get a chance to wet a hook for a few minutes...but we've got a busy day...meeting a road guy so he can do some minor upgrades so a long 90,000 lb log truck can get in and out of property about 6 weeks from now, also got a concrete truck coming tomorrow, starting to pour concrete footers for mini-log cabins. All fun, but will have to sneak in a few casts.

Posted By: Zep Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/24/13 03:15 AM
Al is a pro!
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/24/13 03:36 AM
Mark, I offered Brian 20 pound and a half F1's for his fish. I almost caught him too.

His fish was very healthy for a 2 year old.
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/24/13 06:00 AM
Nice fish.. I need a few hogs like that in my pond too control some mid size BG..
Posted By: george1 Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/24/13 11:32 AM
Good start for January guys - still a few more days to fill the calender!
George
Posted By: sprkplug Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/24/13 12:21 PM
Great looking fish! Good to see you guys get out!
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/24/13 12:41 PM
Thanks SP, yesterday was a flip flop day here. I only wore shoes because it seemed like the appropriate thing to do in January.

We'll see how things go in a couple of months when the asphalt starts to melt. I was thinking about wearing my shemagh this summer to help with the heat, but that might not be a prudent thing to do around here. laugh
Posted By: highflyer Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/27/13 02:44 AM
Here are a few more pictures of the fish we caught Yesterday, Enjoy!

Water temp was 53-54F

Here are some of the BG we caught in the fish trap.

Here a 2 Lb 15 oz 16 and a half inch LMB I caught yesterday.

Posted By: FireIsHot Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/27/13 02:56 AM
You and Scott make a good team.

Did you get your beaver? I hate beavers, but our castor lure is on it's way.
Posted By: george1 Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/27/13 11:58 AM
Good way to close out January southern fishing Brian... cool

Now if Al can deliver some Lake Fork lunkers on Wednesday, January will be a winner - weather man has thrown down a winter storm forecast but betcha he has a plan!
G/
Posted By: highflyer Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/27/13 02:59 PM
Allen, we did not get the beaver yet, but Scott showed me how to scout, place, and set the traps. The beaver's days are numbered, thanks to Scott's instruction!! The caster won't hurt either!! smile

And about the hogs, I think we made too much noise for them to be around while we were there, so I think a really big trap is in my future...... grin
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/27/13 03:25 PM
And about the hogs, I think we made too much noise for them to be around while we were there, so I think a really big trap is in my future

Raspberry Kool-aid and corn as bait worked for us.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/30/13 06:41 PM
FULL DISCLOSURE:
Today was a bust at Lake Fork. When 4 foot waves are filling up a 21' Ranger, it's time to get off the water and reload for another day.

This is the last picture post in the East Texas Fishing 2013 thread. We felt like having regional areas would be a fun thing and that the guys in the Southeast, West, or Midwest might do the same. But that didn't happen, so continue right now just takes away views from the Fishin' 2013 thread. We still love our TX fish, and will certainly post them on the Fishin' 2013 thread.

So here's my trophy pic of the day. A slice of coconut pie from Tiffany's Restaurant at Lake Fork Marina, and as always, it was outstanding.

Posted By: Zep Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/30/13 07:29 PM
And about the hogs, I think we made too much noise for them to be around while we were there, so I think a really big trap is in my future.

A guy working on our property snapped this picture in the last few days....the hogs in this picture are in a pasture right on the other side of our fence.

Posted By: Zep Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/30/13 07:45 PM
FULL DISCLOSURE:Today was a bust at Lake Fork. When 4 foot waves are filling up a 21' Ranger, it's time to get off the water and reload for another day.

Al I can't believe you were out there on Fork in a boat today.
You're a better man than me.
The wind was howling this morning on my way to work.
Better luck next time.
Posted By: highflyer Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/30/13 09:24 PM
Allen and all, I agree, We hoped to spur on a little friendly competition and strengthen our core area connections, but this idea may be a little premature for now. Maybe we can try to set something up for next year.

Further, I like your pie picture as well!! now I am hungry for PIE!!

Mark, one word. BACON!!
Posted By: esshup Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/31/13 01:04 AM
Maybe next trip down we take time to stop at Sandy's? IIRC better call ahead and get their "open" schedule.

I think that if the area is baited more, and they get into a pattern...... Brian is pretty stingy with his corn. grin

But, then again they were on the game camera on a pretty regular basis.

Somebody on the next property was shooting on the evening of the last day, so I'm sure that had something to do with it.

We made up for it with a shot after dark out of the long range gun. Now THAT video will be interesting to see, but not for the reason that you suspect!

Brian, a red LED or 2 over the feeder..... Not white.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/31/13 11:34 AM
Scott, why red? I have heard that green is better.
Posted By: esshup Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/31/13 01:24 PM
Just figured that Red might be less expensive to buy because of all the red LED stop lamps on trucks.
Posted By: djstauder Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/31/13 01:34 PM
Coconut Cream Pie?
Posted By: highflyer Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/31/13 08:11 PM
I'll get both red and green and we can learn!!

About the corn, I feel outed....... cool

The trap I am planning will be 16 feet by 8 feet by 4 feet with a 3 or 4 foot entrance. I want to add a corridor from the entrance to the far end and then the pigs would turn to head back to the other side kind of like a shoot for cattle. This way it will take longer to get to the trigger and I might have more pigs in the trap when the gate closes.

Any thoughts?

Lunch will be on me, especially if there is pie!!
Posted By: esshup Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 01/31/13 09:40 PM
Brian, just remember that you'll either have to make it in sections to assemble at the bait site, or small enough so you can pick it up and move it with a tractor to where you want to place it. I'm unsure whether your tractor could place something that size where the trap was placed. It'll probably pick it up easily, but moving it down the dam face might be a different story.

As for corn, when I'm feeding the deer here to get pictures of what's around, I'll go thru about 8 to 10# per day...... Can't do that and hunt the same area tho. The deer get into a habit of coming, and noise doesn't seem to bother them. They'll show up 10 minutes after the tractor goes by.
Posted By: Zep Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 02/12/13 10:06 PM
Al...how's your lake level?

The guys working down on the property are reporting that our lake is nearly full. They say it's close to going into the overflow drain.

This Dallas/EastTx rain the last few days has really helped.

Posted By: highflyer Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 02/13/13 01:19 AM
Mark our big pond is up about 6 inches maybe 8. We got soaked over night and all this morning, But I am not complaining one bit!!

It did make the dirt work a little more sporty, but it is looking good!!!
Posted By: Zep Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 02/13/13 01:44 AM
Great news Brian! Yes...they say our property is a muddy mess. I think weather forecasts are predicting the next several days of temps in the 50/60's and sunny days. That will help dry things up a bit. What kind of dirt work are you doing?
Posted By: highflyer Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 02/13/13 02:02 AM
just a little dirt work by the cabin. When done, I'll post
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 02/13/13 02:17 AM
Both you guys have really cool stuff going on. I'll be anxious to see it all completed.
Posted By: esshup Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 02/13/13 03:36 PM
Brian, is duck island completely underwater now?
Posted By: highflyer Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 02/14/13 12:29 AM
There is a smidgen of duck island left, but that's it.
Posted By: esshup Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 02/14/13 01:57 AM
Then the big pond only came up about 3" then. That island wasn't 6" above the water!

I know, I know, the amount of horizontal water coverage is deceiving. That's why I put a metal yardstick on a stake in the pond. I can read the water level on the yardstick. I thought the same thing as you, but once I put the yardstick in the pond, I realized that what I thought wasn't corresponding to the readings on the yardstick. blush
Posted By: highflyer Re: East Texas Fishing 2013 - 02/14/13 04:17 AM
It came up nine inches. I think the island is now a bass retreat!! I did not have time to get out there, but the fence is still there for now.

See my new thread grin
© Pond Boss Forum