Pond Boss
Posted By: Big Jake Threadfin shad spawn - 12/11/12 09:51 PM
Just outside of Col Ga. we have a lake that they have dropped the water about 6' for dock repairs. The temps the past couple weeks have been in the mid 70s. The threadfin shad are crusing the banks by the millions/billions just like in the spring when they spawn. Is this a fall spawn? I have caught several and there is no evidence of eggs as I message the fish. The lake is a 3500 acre public fishery. Not sure of the water temp but I would guess around 58 which seems to cold for them to start to move shallow. This has been going on for over a week now. Why are they up in the grass just like in the spring? They are TF shad not gizzard. I have been throwing a cast net and placing them in a 110 gallon container and moving them to my private pond about 15 minutes away and have not lost one yet. Using salt in the water and handeling them gently. My guess is due to the unseasonaly warm weather they are confused and think it is spring and therefor moving up to spawn. What do you guys think. Thanks for any input.
Posted By: ewest Re: Threadfin shad spawn - 12/11/12 10:07 PM
TShad do spawn in the fall as well as spring. It does seem very late for that based on water temps. The drawdown and warm weather may have had an effect.

Good to hear from you Big Jake !
© Pond Boss Forum