Pond Boss
Posted By: sprkplug Aging fish by scales - 10/10/12 01:43 PM
I've been trying my hand at this, so I was pleased to learn that SDSU would be on hand at the conference, demonstrating the technique.

My question involves transporting the scales to Big Cedar.... I have them in an airtight plastic vial, should I add some pond water to the vial also, or will the scales still be acceptable even if they dry out?

Posted By: esshup Re: Aging fish by scales - 10/10/12 01:51 PM
I'd add water to keep them wet.

So you're going to make it? Hooray!!
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Aging fish by scales - 10/10/12 01:54 PM
Yep! Leaving in the morning as soon as we get the kids on the bus...

I like the water idea also.....
Posted By: Chris Steelman Re: Aging fish by scales - 10/10/12 01:54 PM
They will be fine in the vial. At school we would put them in small coin envelopes.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Aging fish by scales - 10/10/12 02:05 PM
Okay so I don't need the water..shows what I know! Thanks Chris!
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Aging fish by scales - 10/10/12 02:16 PM
Maybe laminated when fresh would be good..
Posted By: Omaha Re: Aging fish by scales - 10/10/12 03:38 PM
Per Bob Lusk,

"Or, if you don’t want to sacrifice a fish, collect some scales from the lateral line, five or six of them, put them in a Ziploc bag, weigh and measure your fish and they’ll give you an idea of how old your fish is"
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Aging fish by scales - 10/10/12 04:50 PM
Spark Plug -- bring them dry. Look for Jason Breeggemann and others at the fish aging booth! smile
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Aging fish by scales - 10/10/12 05:08 PM
Will do Dave...Thanks!
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Aging fish by scales - 10/10/12 05:15 PM
No, thank you. I found Jason down the hall, and he was excited to hear that there was excitement about the fish aging. smile
Posted By: roadwarriorsvt Re: Aging fish by scales - 10/11/12 02:17 AM
I wish I could make the conference. This technique has me interested as well as I'm sure its easier than extracting the fish's ololith.
Posted By: ewest Re: Aging fish by scales - 10/11/12 02:23 AM
http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthread...true#Post130605

Aging methods - get the article from Dave and read it. MMorgan is right about scales in the south - it will work but is hard and not accurate without help. Pics are in the article and provided by Dave Willis.

scale

otolith location

whole otolith aging

cracked otolith aging

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=214360&page=1
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Aging fish by scales - 10/11/12 06:54 PM
Here is a link to the fish aging article.

http://www.sdstate.edu/nrm/outreach/pond/upload/Fish-Aging-May-Jun-2006.pdf
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Aging fish by scales - 10/14/12 11:54 PM
Under the category of 'Why didn't I think of that', the folks at the fish aging booth used a microfiche reader to take a look at my scales. It just so happens that I have an old reader gathering dust from the good ole' days of parts lookup, and I drug it out this afternoon and gave it a new lease on life.

Thanks go to Jason, for taking the time to explain as well as show me the technique. And, while I already knew the age of the fish the scales came from, he didn't.... and he nailed it. Reading scales appears somewhat interpretive, rather than exacting, so I was very impressed with this young man's abilities. I hope at least some of what he demonstrated sticks with me.

Pics from my efforts this afternoon:

Posted By: ewest Re: Aging fish by scales - 10/15/12 01:12 AM
What was his conclusion ? It is much harder with southern fish as due to a lack of a cold winter sometimes rings don't form or they are so slight as to be very hard to see.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Aging fish by scales - 10/15/12 01:34 AM
Originally Posted By: ewest
What was his conclusion ? It is much harder with southern fish as due to a lack of a cold winter sometimes rings don't form or they are so slight as to be very hard to see.

Sorry...that pertinent information should've been included in my previous post! Six years old. This fish is a dinosaur among my HBG, it was in my first batch of fish from before my time at Pondboss. It's growth suffered from improper management and lack of knowledge on my part.
Posted By: ewest Re: Aging fish by scales - 10/15/12 01:44 AM
I would have said 5 but you are right it takes practice to get them right. I have often missed on my interpretation.
Posted By: esshup Re: Aging fish by scales - 10/15/12 03:19 AM
Tony:

Thanks for posting that info on the card reader. I missed that, and I think I'll be surfing e-bay............. wink
Posted By: loretta Re: Aging fish by scales - 10/15/12 06:02 AM
Do fish grow scales back if they lose some?
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Aging fish by scales - 10/15/12 11:04 AM
Originally Posted By: loretta
Do fish grow scales back if they lose some?

Yes they do. Or at least HBG do!
Posted By: ewest Re: Aging fish by scales - 10/15/12 03:18 PM
+1
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Aging fish by scales - 10/15/12 09:32 PM
Sparkplug - great idea and adaption of the microfiche reader. I missed spending some time talking with you after we met briefly at PBV. I often spend too much time talking to too few people and don't socialize enough with others - my bad habit that I can't seem to overcome.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Aging fish by scales - 10/15/12 09:35 PM
When collecting the scales for aging it is usually best to get them just above the lateral line and just past or at the end of the pectoral fin.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Aging fish by scales - 10/15/12 10:35 PM
Thanks for the advice on the scale procurement Bill. I'm glad I got to meet you, but sorry our paths didn't converge again...

I also never managed to meet Ewest frown
Posted By: ewest Re: Aging fish by scales - 10/16/12 01:11 AM
Me to Sprkplug. frown
© Pond Boss Forum