Pond Boss
My lake is 12 acres and I have a bunch of 6"-12" carp. I have been told they are part of the food supply for my bass, but I think they are causing my water to be a little less clear than what I would like. Is there a way to trap them out or a way to specifically target them with a poison?
Some people feed, and then when they come to it shoot them with a
bow & arrow or a 22.
Originally Posted By: BassGuy13
My lake is 12 acres and I have a bunch of 6"-12" carp. I have been told they are part of the food supply for my bass, but I think they are causing my water to be a little less clear than what I would like. Is there a way to trap them out or a way to specifically target them with a poison?

Although carp may provide a reasonable food supply for the bass, they are not a good forage species because they can so easily take over.

As for my good friend rmedgar's suggestion of a bow-and-arrow or a .22, I wouldn't really suggest any kind of rifle. The chance of a dangerous ricochet is always there, plus it takes only a very small amount of water to slow any rifle projectile to the point of uselessness. Arrows are far more effective if you can get in range of the carp, but carp are smart, and learn very quickly to stay away from humans.

I not aware of any carp-specific poison.

However, you are very fortunate. Texas is home to North America's very best pond manager -- Bob Lusk. I'd suggest contacting Bob through the website. If you can't get in contact with Bob, send me an PM, and I'll send you his e-mail and cell phone number. Bob can help clean up your pond. He can help you grow the biggest bass possible for your area. Some of his suggestions may be painful, but he is extremely successful at what he does -- if you allow him to do it.

Good luck,
Ken
Where in Texas are you?
I use my nitropiston pellet gun to shoot turtles, and snakes. might work for carp
The only way that I know of to specifically target carp is bowfishing.
Carp are a pain and a big problem for many waters. Nothing will be simple, nor easy, nor cheap!. Try having carp fishing tournments. Entry fee and prizes for most carp caught. If you want the best way - drain lake down to low pool and renovate. Second best annual electroshocking. Thirdly netting and trapping. Fourth best: increase number of bass. Bass are not as effective in the murky water caused by carp activity.
These do not look like normal carp you would bowfish for. They are a lot smaller. I have not seen one much over 8"-10". They are silver to grey in color and they seem to be large in numbers.I have shot quite a few carp and drum, but these seem like miniature versions. I am in north east Texas. Any idea what kind of carp they could be?
Catch one or two and get us some good close up pictures.
Do your 8"-10" silver "carp" look like this???

Just a hunch.....
No. They have larger scales. I know I said a silver color, but compared to your picture they have a little more yellowish brown color on them.
BassGuy, now you HAVE to get us some photos. You hit the curiosity button with us!! smile
is there anything u could use to catch gizzard shad with a fishing pole.i can only catch them with a cast net
I wonder if they are not large GSH (we used to call them Pond Shinners), they tend to look like small carp once larger.

Or they may be a type of gold fish maybe wild that have maxed out in size.

Just a thought.

Some pictures would be nice.
I will try and catch one over the weekend and post a picture. I'm thinking a cast net will work?
Carps grow fast and bass won't help. Sure, they can eat young ones but after a year they won't be a meal for bass.

At first you should create some feeding spots for carps. Feed them with plant based food - boiled potatoes, grains and similar stuff (avoid food that may be suitable for bass). After some days carps will start visiting these feeding spots very often. Then you can use fishing traps (try to find a special thread about that) or system with lots of hooks and the same bait as was used before.
© Pond Boss Forum