Pond Boss
Posted By: Captain1 Rate my Bass - 05/19/11 06:53 PM
I just caught what is our new pond record bass and likely my personal best as well. I did not have a measuring or weighing device with me. This is a horrible angle photo taken with my I-phone from above the fish, so the body looks pretty puny in the photo. I am hoping that some of the experts can help me estimate a weight. My largest personal bass catch from another lake was right at 5 lbs and this fish seemed bigger to me than that. My ballpark estimate length of this fish is 23-24 inches. Any estimates from the experts on weight?

Posted By: Captain1 Re: Rate my Bass - 05/19/11 06:59 PM
We have been actively culling 10-14" bass as I think we are overpopulated. I let this one go - but it did seem thin to me.
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Rate my Bass - 05/19/11 07:04 PM
It may be post spawn as well, which I am sure pulls the weight off.

Just a thought, but I am no expert.

Thanks for the pic.
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Rate my Bass - 05/20/11 11:53 AM
So hard to tell in that photo. I like to base a guess off a releative wieght chart. I ahve seen so many bass that I can accurtely guess the WR score then if I know the length give the wieght. Try this chart. Sorry it is in grams the first column has 100% in lbs however or just divide 454 to get lbs. We haev in in lbs also but for some reason not on our badly outdated website. http://lakework.com/site/documents/Largemouth%20Bass%20Relative%20Weight%20Index.pdf
long story if indeed 23 inches and healthy 7 lber.
Posted By: esshup Re: Rate my Bass - 05/20/11 01:56 PM
O.K. Greg, gimme a weight:

Posted By: Captain1 Re: Rate my Bass - 05/20/11 03:15 PM
It didn't feel like 7 pounds. When I caught the fish I put it on my boat seat to gauge length. I am bringing a ruler out there this weekend and will measure the seat to get a more accurate estimate of length. I am also going to put a weight and measure device in the boat so it will be there from now on! My bass was definitely not as fat as the one pictured above from esshup!
Posted By: Bullhead Re: Rate my Bass - 05/20/11 03:39 PM
This one was 19" and weighed a little over 4 pounds.

Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Rate my Bass - 05/20/11 09:04 PM
esshup that bass is 130% Wr by body plus eggs and 19". It is exactly 5.276 lbs. Skeptics dont question me (joke).
Posted By: Bernie H. Re: Rate my Bass - 05/20/11 11:33 PM
Captain1 Cabela's sells a adhesive tape measure for only a few dollars. I have one on each of my boats. They also give estimated weights for different species at different lenghts.
Posted By: esshup Re: Rate my Bass - 05/21/11 04:32 AM
Thanks Greg. I thought the scale was off when it said 3.9#. I didn't check it tho.......
Posted By: ewest Re: Rate my Bass - 05/21/11 12:17 PM
My 2 cents - the scale was close - 4 lbs.
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Rate my Bass - 05/23/11 01:38 PM
Ewest so you think that bass of Esshup is 100%? It seems healthy to me and then Scott said had eggs as well that being the case gotta be over 4 lbs. You are figuring 19Inches?

BTW we updated our charts so now we have btoh in lbs and grams here. Hope it is helpful http://lakework.com/site/pond-information.php
Posted By: ewest Re: Rate my Bass - 05/23/11 01:59 PM
My guess is the scale is close and better than our guess from a pic. RW is a general indicator of all LMB . Think of all those fat short southern fish that pushed the weight up for length. How well does that apply to one particular northern fish.

That is a nice LMB and in great condition.

Esshup can you check the scale ?
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Rate my Bass - 05/23/11 04:15 PM
I hear you but on feed trained bass I have seen Theo and Nate have some 130-150% so as we discussed almost need a different chart for those bass. I do think Scott said not on feed thou.
Posted By: ewest Re: Rate my Bass - 05/23/11 05:59 PM
I would be shocked if the RW charts/data have much if any feed trained LMB in the sample survey.
Posted By: esshup Re: Rate my Bass - 05/23/11 06:36 PM
Yes, I'll check the scale. And, yes, not feed trained. (that particular LMB) Any feed trained LMB in the pond are tagged.
Posted By: Captain1 Re: Rate my Bass - 06/02/11 07:15 PM
UPDATE: I measured the boat seat that I used to estimate the size of the fish since I did not have a tape at the time. I over-estimated the length (imagine that... "telling fish stories") The length of this fish was more in the 21.5" range which puts the weight in the 5.7 pound range. My weight guess was probably close, but the length estimate off.

This past weekend I also beat that previous record, this time with a scale and tape handy, and pulled in a 23" bass, just shy of the 7 lb mark. This has been a banner year!
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Rate my Bass - 06/02/11 08:41 PM
But did you have a camera handy? Because if you didn't, you know what that means - didn't happen!
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Rate my Bass - 06/03/11 03:01 AM
Originally Posted By: Todd3138
But did you have a camera handy? Because if you didn't, you know what that means - didn't happen!

Tonight I caught what I know was the the largest bluegill I've ever seen in "the wild" -- outside of Cabelas' or Bass ProShop's aquariums.

I left the monster on the hook, put my rod in a holder on the dock, and went up to get a ruler, a tub, and a camera. When I got back, the fish had unhooked itself!

Until I get the photo, I can only figure it is just a figment of my most valued dreams.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Rate my Bass - 06/03/11 01:38 PM
Just another fish story.
Posted By: Captain1 Re: Rate my Bass - 06/03/11 02:23 PM
Todd3138. I did have a camera handy! I wish I had someone there to take my picture with it - but I did snap a shot with the fish on the gate of my Polaris Ranger. Here you go! I am now regretting I didn't retain and mount this one. I don't know that I will ever catch another bass this big and it would have been a nice one for the wall. Sorry, I can't get this photo to post horizontally.

Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Rate my Bass - 06/03/11 03:06 PM
WOW! Nice fish Captain.
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Rate my Bass - 06/03/11 06:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Just another fish story.

+1

Sorry, buddy, you know the rules!
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Rate my Bass - 06/03/11 06:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Captain1
Todd3138. I did have a camera handy! I wish I had someone there to take my picture with it - but I did snap a shot with the fish on the gate of my Polaris Ranger. Here you go! I am now regretting I didn't retain and mount this one. I don't know that I will ever catch another bass this big and it would have been a nice one for the wall. Sorry, I can't get this photo to post horizontally.

I never doubted you! grin

That is a really great looking fish, Captain! Congrats!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Rate my Bass - 06/04/11 02:19 AM
Hey, good lookin fish.
Posted By: John Monroe Re: Rate my Bass - 06/04/11 10:18 AM
Back in the 1940's while on vacation Dad caught a 25 1/4" long LMB in the backwaters of Lake Webster, IN that held the record for the upper half of Indiana. Sometime in the 60's at the local sports center in east central Indiana a bass, mounted and displayed and from a local pond was 23 inches long and weighed over 8 lbs. It was much fatter then Dads that was mounted and I could compare their looks. At that time I was surprised to learn that a much shorter bass could weigh more then a longer bass.
© Pond Boss Forum