11/2/10......in the ville.
Posted By: ewest Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/03/10 01:01 AM
shocked not here yet.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/05/10 03:58 PM
Got mine yesterday! smile
Posted By: ewest Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/05/10 04:00 PM
grin for you ; frown for me.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/05/10 04:02 PM
Ewest, if it makes you feel any better I only had a chance to skim through it last night. grin
Posted By: ewest Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/05/10 09:33 PM
Enjoy Shorty. I will get mine soon enough.
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/06/10 04:49 PM
Got mine yesterday!
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/06/10 05:29 PM
Mine came on Friday, too! Great issue. Really enjoyed Jeff Slipke's article.
Posted By: Zep Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/06/10 07:50 PM
Just got mine this week, another great issue,
and called yesterday to give another gift subscription.
Posted By: Russ Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/08/10 11:29 PM
I know everyone hasn't received their magazine yet but I have a couple of questions that I hope won't land me on the black list.

Dave, you mentioned Jeff's article but this is open to everyone, especially Jeff. Near the end of page 8, talking about LMB recruitment, what is meant by "The pond is not sheltered by trees and has a substantial "fetch" regardless of wind direction."

Also, in the write-in section. What is it in fire ants that kill BG??
Are they poisonous? My only exposure to fire ants was the site of a friend's daughter making the mistake of riding her big wheel over a nest. For a little girl, she had some vocals once they laid into her !

- Russ
Posted By: esshup Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/08/10 11:34 PM
Mine FINALLY came today.
Posted By: bbjr Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/09/10 01:02 AM
Mine came last week, and it was a very good issue. I would like to give a special thanks to catmandoo for including his deer pastrami recipe. Seeing the pictures of it on the forum made my mouth water.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/09/10 01:03 AM
Russ you ask - "The pond is not sheltered by trees and has a substantial "fetch" regardless of wind direction."
Not sure what part you don't understand but I assume the word fetch is the 'problem'. In detail, this means there are few if any trees around the pond to inhibit wind action. Substantial "fetch" means that the pond is large enough or oriented in a direction that the wind can blow across a large area of the pond to create "substantial" or good wave action. Substantial is relative and a personal opinion. One man's substantial is maybe another's 'moderate'. IMO a wind should generate whitecaps before one considers it substantial wave action. Breaking white cap waves tend to mix water deeper than rolling or gravity waves. The water temperature and degree of stratification and wave height have a lot to do with how deep the waves can mix the water.
Fetch by definition is the distance over which the wind can blow uninterrupted by land.

Posted By: catmandoo Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/09/10 01:05 AM
Bummer! Bummer! Bummer!

I'm traveling again this week. I won't get home until Friday. I just talked to Lynda. She said the magazine arrived today, and that there is a pastrami article on the recipe page!

I need a new career!
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/09/10 01:21 AM
Originally Posted By: bbjr
Mine came last week, and it was a very good issue. I would like to give a special thanks to catmandoo for including his deer pastrami recipe. Seeing the pictures of it on the forum made my mouth water.

I guess you and I were posting at the same time. Thanks for the kudos. I also received a number of PMs and e-mails.

It almost makes me feel like a celebrity. But, I guess here on the forum, and at my work place, being the celebrity of "road kill recipes" and a culinary experimenter of other dead critters, isn't quite the same as being Humphrey Bogart, Babe Ruth, or even Emeril Lagasse. My friends will still make fun of my recipes as they quickly slurp it all up, so that nobody else will be subjected to these awful tastes and delights.

Just remember -- 1-1/2 tablespoons of TenderQuick per pound of meat.
Posted By: cheyenne19 Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/09/10 01:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Russ you ask - "The pond is not sheltered by trees and has a substantial "fetch" regardless of wind direction."
Not sure what part you don't understand but I assume the word fetch is the 'problem'. In detail, this means there are few if any trees around the pond to inhibit wind action. Substantial "fetch" means that the pond is large enough or oriented in a direction that the wind can blow across a large area of the pond to create "substantial" or good wave action. Substantial is relative and a personal opinion. One man's substantial is maybe another's 'moderate'. IMO a wind should generate whitecaps before one considers it substantial wave action. Breaking white cap waves tend to mix water deeper than rolling or gravity waves. The water temperature and degree of stratification and wave height have a lot to do with how deep the waves can mix the water.
Fetch by definition is the distance over which the wind can blow uninterrupted by land.

To elaborate a little more on what Bill said. The pond is located in the very flat, and open Arkansas delta. The nearest group of trees large enough to block wind is 3 miles to the north and almost non-existant to the south. In the dead heat of summer it is rare to see the pond without a ripple for an entire day. White capping wave action poses a severe errosion problem around our levee. So much so that we placed 75 tons of rip rap around the edge this summer.
Posted By: Russ Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/10/10 01:08 AM
Bill you are correct in your assumption. I did not understand the "fetch" reference. Thank you both for the reply.

- Russ
Posted By: Rainman Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/10/10 01:31 AM
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Originally Posted By: bbjr

I guess you and I were posting at the same time. Thanks for the kudos. I also received a number of PMs and e-mails.

It almost makes me feel like a celebrity. But, I guess here on the forum, and at my work place, being the celebrity of "road kill recipes" and a culinary experimenter of other dead critters, isn't quite the same as being Humphrey Bogart, Babe Ruth, or even Emeril Lagasse. My friends will still make fun of my recipes as they quickly slurp it all up, so that nobody else will be subjected to these awful tastes and delights.

Just remember -- 1-1/2 tablespoons of TenderQuick per pound of meat.

bbjr, speaking as one of the pastrami taste testers...you can NOT imagine how good the Pastrami was!!! VERY moist, tender and flavorful...better than the best deli meat IMHO! You should be very jealous!

Catmandoo...You are correct sir as to why we eat your roadkill....Lesser friends would let you go right ahead and embarass yourself. I for one will step up and volunteer to offer you my opinion of your culinary....uhhh.... creations?!!! Only because I care about ya!
Posted By: ewest Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/10/10 01:53 AM
Still not here. frown
Posted By: Rainman Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/10/10 02:56 AM
Got mine yesterday!
Got mine yesterday.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/10/10 01:17 PM
The article by Slipke on Cason's (Cheyenne) pond is awesome.

ewests article on smallies has me recharged to get those rock piles into my pond (which I'd been procrastinating on for about 4 years).

catmandoo's recipe article is top notch.

When catmandoo, Todd, and Rex were at my pond, cat gave me a hunk of deer pastrami to take home. I said "I should see if Todd or Rex wants to take some home also." Cat said that Todd would be getting more as they see each other pretty often. So I said "I'll see if Rex wants some." Somehow, I forgot to ask Rex if he wanted some.

I'd been eating on the hunk of deer pastrami for a few days, and I told my wife that it was homemade pastrami. I kept noticing the hunk getting smaller when I wasn't around. Finally, I asked my wife if she had been eating it as I finished off the last chunk. She said "yes."

I told her I was surprised she was eating/enjoying it 'as it was venison. She got pretty quiet. She didnt' know it was deer meat, and I guess I never mentioned it.

It is some of the best stuff I have ever, ever had!
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/10/10 01:46 PM
Got mine yesterday.
Posted By: esshup Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/10/10 01:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Sunil
I told her I was surprised she was eating/enjoying it 'as it was venison. She got pretty quiet. She didnt' know it was deer meat, and I guess I never mentioned it.

It's funny what people will or won't eat, depending on if they know what is or not.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/10/10 02:34 PM
Yeah, she really liked it. She's not anti-deer meat; she just is not a big fan of it.
Posted By: Clayton Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/10/10 07:51 PM
My copy was waiting in my PO BOX this morning. It might have been there a couple of days, since I don't visit the post office very often.

I'm very displeased with the Expo insert being in there. I've been trying not to go to the Expo. I might have mentioned to my wife I wanted to take the family once or twice. Having that insert really is screwing up my plans of not attending. Can't you tell I'm in turmoil? I think it would be a fun trip for us, plus I like to visit different/unique venues -- makes for a good "getaway" from the hustle and bustle of sales on the road. Price is good and we could drive up from Texas for a little road trip.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/10/10 08:08 PM
There are tons of great things to do around Big Cedar Lodge. Far more things than could be visited in a month of vacation!

Wait till your kids see all the skunks walking amongst the Buzzard Lounge attendees....all odor free and VERY cool! There was even an albino version...all are wild but disinterested in the people.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/10/10 08:11 PM
The article by Slipke on Cason's (Cheyenne) pond is awesome.

ewests article on smallies has me recharged to get those rock piles into my pond (which I'd been procrastinating on for about 4 years).

catmandoo's recipe article is top notch.

When catmandoo, Todd, and Rex were at my pond, cat gave me a hunk of deer pastrami to take home. I said "I should see if Todd or Rex wants to take some home also." Cat said that Todd would be getting more as they see each other pretty often. So I said "I'll see if Rex wants some." Somehow, I forgot to ask Rex if he wanted some.

I'd been eating on the hunk of deer pastrami for a few days, and I told my wife that it was homemade pastrami. I kept noticing the hunk getting smaller when I wasn't around. Finally, I asked my wife if she had been eating it as I finished off the last chunk. She said "yes."

mad
Got mine today.. Cason story is awesome.. Also that cricket holder in the bream article is the cats a** I need one of those. I will be looking those up tonight after hunting. Anyone know a name or brand on those.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/10/10 11:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Rainman

mad

Rex,

When we gathered, I brought three large pieces of pastrami, plus the jellied pigs knuckles. I figured that I'd have 90% of the pigs knuckle for breakfast. I figured there would be a pound of pastrami for you and for Sunil. I figured Todd would get the Turdy Point Buck when he visited Lynda and me to thin our herd. (By the way, those crazies singing the song are my Wisconsin/UP cousins.) Todd will get more pastrami as partial payment for Esquire services -- so you are the only one left out.

I'll make sure you get some pastrami, or something even better, when we all meet at the convention.

Ken

P.S. If you guys think I'm crazy, it was the folks like those singing Turdy Point Buck who warped me. Unless you are related to them, and you've wintered over in the UP or on the shores of Lake Superior for at least 20 seasons, it might be difficult to understand that people with accents and brains like this really exist in North America.
Posted By: esshup Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/11/10 12:53 AM
Ken, not only the Turdy Point Buck, but listening to the radio station that has all the hunting camp reports as well.

Rex, I'll bet that if you prodded those skunks enough you'd find out that they aren't odorless.... wink
Posted By: Rainman Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/11/10 03:54 AM
Scott, while arranging power supplies and other items for the outdoor activities of the conference, I had the opportunity to work with the grounds superintedant. I asked if anyone had ever been sprayed and he said only once since the opened.

Seems an intern tried to pull a skunk out of a dumpster thinking they were all "de-scented". He found out quickly they weren't.

IIRC, Jhap petted them a couple times. The skunks were very adept at avoiding feet, even in the crowded areas and never once did a tail even twitch like it was being raised. It was very surreal to say the least.
Posted By: esshup Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/11/10 04:27 AM
Rex, I believe it. They only use the spray as a defensive mechanism, and it's a good one! As long as they are happy, they won't be stinky. I'd feed them all they want if they keep the stink to themselves. That's got to be pretty wild, having the critters at your feet. I guess I'll find out in April.
Posted By: bbjr Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/11/10 12:06 PM

bbjr, speaking as one of the pastrami taste testers...you can NOT imagine how good the Pastrami was!!! VERY moist, tender and flavorful...better than the best deli meat IMHO! You should be very jealous!

I was going to comment on this yesterday, but I decided to take the high road and bite my tongue. And then this morning, I read how Sunil forgot to give you part of the pastrami to take home...I just smiled and pondered how karma took care of the situation for me grin
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/11/10 04:02 PM
IIRC, Jhap petted them a couple times. The skunks were very adept at avoiding feet, even in the crowded areas and never once did a tail even twitch like it was being raised. It was very surreal to say the least.

Not this city boy.

That was either Randy or Ken.

But I agree with you the moment was surreal.

I spoke with one of the employees about the skunks and was told that so far they had never had a guest sprayed. I decided not to push my luck.
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/12/10 04:11 PM
Not us, we were very nice to them as I started the fire and Ken greased up the ol' frying pan....
Posted By: Sunil Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/12/10 06:01 PM
I had no 'comfort' with those skunks around.
Posted By: esshup Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/12/10 11:08 PM
I had no 'comfort' with those skunks around.

Not even a bit of Southern?
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/13/10 02:57 AM
Originally Posted By: rmedgar
Not us, we were very nice to them as I started the fire and Ken greased up the ol' frying pan....

Randy and I enjoyed the skunks!
Posted By: george1 Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/14/10 05:17 PM
[quote=Sunil]The article by Slipke on Cason's (Cheyenne) pond is awesome.
Pony Express finally made it too our mailbox yesterday.
Have been on pins and needles ever since Rex divulged the secret!
Cason's pond article one of the best ever.
He's my hero!

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=240937&#Post240937
Posted By: ewest Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/14/10 11:21 PM
Still not here ! frown
You're missing one of the best I've seen in quite a while.
Posted By: Al Davison Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/16/10 01:18 PM
I haven't gotten mine yet either but it sounds like it's a good one.

Does it come with a sample of that pastrami? wink
Posted By: esshup Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/16/10 03:50 PM
I wonder if Bob could be convinced to add a scratch 'n sniff part to the recipe section? grin
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/16/10 05:23 PM
Originally Posted By: ewest
Still not here ! frown

Still not here either!
Posted By: ewest Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/19/10 01:26 AM
ARRIVED TODAY grin
Posted By: Al Davison Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/19/10 02:28 AM
You're ahead of me...still no issue but Gayle is checking on it for me.
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/19/10 03:52 AM
Geez...that's way too long. The magazine was mailed from Pa. October 29.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/19/10 05:26 PM
The good news: Mine arrived yesterday.

The bad news: I've already read all of it.

The worst news: Now I have to wait two months for the next issue.

GREAT, GREAT, GREAT articles it it.

I especially liked the on learning to read an algae bloom.
Posted By: Al Davison Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/20/10 03:14 PM
Hey Bob (and others) - I gotta call yesterday from a really nice lady (can't remember the name right now but it wasn't Gayle) to check in with me and she promised to send another copy to me right away.

Great service! So, don't worry - I'm not mad at y'all. You put out a great magazine but you don't run the US Postal service. wink
Posted By: Al Davison Re: Nov/Dec. Issue is Hot on the Street - 11/28/10 03:07 PM
OK, here's a shout-out to Tonya for giving great service despite the worst efforts of the U.S. Mail / Pony Express!

Tonya has called and emailed to check in to see that I got my magazine and, yesterday, my mailbox had 2 copies of the December issue - the one that had been originally sent and the replacement that Tonya sent out.

So, I just wanted to give some "props" to Tonya for taking care of my issue (pun intended).

I've only had a chance to flip through it but it looks great!
© Pond Boss Forum