Pond Boss
Posted By: PFV Help calculating cubic yards on new pond - 08/26/10 11:46 PM
Hello folks, I know there are some guys on here who are wayyy smarter than I am, so if you don't mind, help an old guy out.
I'm wanting to have a new pond built, and the contractor is telling me this size pond is right at 7500 cubic yards.

The size is as follows...

225' X 100' X 14' deep at the deepest part.

The slope is as follows...
1 drop ft per 3 feet, which is 42 feet of slope to get to 14 ft.

I know there are some guys on here who love stuff like this and probably can do it without a calculator, so please help me out here fellows.

Also, Im here in the N Texas area, and from the research Ive done, the going rate for excavation like this is $2 per cubic yard. If anybody near Dallas can beat that price, let me know.

Thanks in advance for the "figuring", as we say here in the Lone Star State!!
Posted By: ewest Re: Help calculating cubic yards on new pond - 08/27/10 01:51 AM
Call Mike Otto. There is a lot more to a pond than just digging a hole.

mikeotto@ottosdirtservice.com

http://www.ottosdirtservice.com
Cecil Baird and I posted about estimating cubic yards of earth in an excavation in early May of 2004. I just searched out those posts (posts 47367 and 47368 dated May 2 and 3, 2004) but don't know how to move them to this thread. If you can find them, PFD, they might help you. They relate only to pond volume but, as Eric advised, there are other factors to consider.
Posted By: esshup Re: Help calculating cubic yards on new pond - 08/27/10 07:02 PM
Dudly:

What forum are they in? The search engine only goes back 5 years.

One way is to copy the stuff in the browser window (right click, then left click on "copy)

Then open up a reply to this, left click on the little box to the right of the smilie face. A new sub-window will open for you to paste the link in. Click OK, then type in what text you want to show, or paste again, then click on OK once more.
Esshup, after logging in, I went to "User List" and on page 4 of that list I clicked on my name.
On the page that came up, I clicked on "Show User's Posts". On pages 37 and 38 of my posts were the posts I was referring to.
Posted By: ewest Re: Help calculating cubic yards on new pond - 08/28/10 01:45 AM
Here you go

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=5102&Number=47367#Post47367
That pond is a little bigger than my pond and I estimated my yardage at around 5000. I think that estimate is in the ballpark.
© Pond Boss Forum