Pond Boss
Posted By: Fountain Need Help!!! - 07/29/10 01:56 PM
Yesterday my son & I were catching and releasing BG from our pond for fun. He likes to fight them on the line. Two of the BG had something wrong. Not sure how well you'll be able to see it in the pics but one had what looked like "blood clots" on the tail and the other had "white worms" in one of it's eyes. Any suggestions?

Description: Blood Clots
Attached picture 2010-07-28 18.26.10.jpg

Description: White Worms in the eye
Attached picture 2010-07-28 18.31.34.jpg
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Need Help!!! - 07/29/10 02:14 PM
Fish do get ill... Parasites are common, if it isn't widespread, I wouldn't panic. Obviously you don't prefer your fish be like that, but in the end if only a reasonable percentage of your fish have issues I wouldn't panic. The blood clots just look like nest building sores from a male BG building a nest for spawning. The white worms on the eye is some kind of parasite. Have you seen it in any other of your BG?
Posted By: Fountain Re: Need Help!!! - 07/29/10 02:43 PM
We caught probably 15 BG yesterday and only noticed the one with worms in the eyes (fish still looked healthy) and one with the sores/blood clots. After seeing the worms I was concerned the others may have had worms and just weren't visible. The other part that concerns me is my son also caught a pretty LMB (16"/2.2 lbs) and a few smaller healthy looking bass. I then caught one around 15" but is was very skinny and poor looking, I thought maybe he had some sort of disease or worms. I'm afraid I'm going to see him floating in a few days. I'm just wondering if this is a few isolated cases or it's something that if not treated soon, could contaminate my entire pond. I had posted in a different section about something eating/killing my fish but now I think they're just dying and the turtles are eating at them.
© Pond Boss Forum