Pond Boss
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Forum changes - 06/03/10 08:42 PM
All;

First off, thanks to everyone for your patience and support during our efforts to upgrade the forum. I appreciate the collective willingness to raise issues that needed to be addressed as it's the only way we can continue to improve the Pond Boss forum experience for us all - constructive criticism is essential to accomplishing our group mission [with the exception of Sock Puppet's threatening hate mail].

Two issues remain I want to address with the forum:

1. For a few forum members the new sidebar on the right is causing a width issue and users must scroll left to right to view the entire forum. While thankfully not a functionality issue, I agree it's a PITA as one of my PC's also experiences this issue. We have three options moving forward and I would like your feedback.

A. Keep format as is instead of reducing the overall size of the forum. While this means a few of us have to continue scrolling left-right, it's not a wholesale change that affects the entire community.

B. Move the right margin entirely to the left side. It would spell for a longer forum page, but it would alleviate the scrolling issue.

C. Remove the right sidebar entirely. This means losing the "Recent Posts" function and "Newly Uploaded Images" function which I enjoy.

Personally, I'm in favor of option A - but let me hear from you all please.

2. In an attempt to continue to provide a forum that loads quickly and allows fast navigation we imposed size limits to photos of 2MB and limited the number of photos on a post to 5. However, after hearing from a few of you we've decided to double the number of photos allowable to 10, but will retain the 2MB restriction. We're confident our available bandwidth should continue to provide efficient navigation and loading even with the expanded photo posting parameters.

Please feel free to weigh in on either/both subjects. I want to ensure we're doing everything possible to make the forum the best resource possible, except for Sock Puppet.

Thanks all -

TJ
Posted By: Brettski Re: Forum changes - 06/03/10 08:45 PM
"A works for me
-
as an aside, how come all the "off-site" hosted photos all shrunk?
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Forum changes - 06/03/10 08:48 PM
BSKI - thanks for your input, and for the hard slider...sigh. Kidding, I'll escalate to UBB asap. Can you provide me an example via PM or email as they always ask me first for an "example" as I'm literally in their ear daily.

Thanks amigo!
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Forum changes - 06/03/10 09:04 PM
Agreed on option A. I, too, really like seeing the most recent posts and new photos. Great feature and I'd hate to lose it. I don't have any issues with viewing the forum on this laptop, which is a full-sized one, but on my little Acer Netbook with the 10 inch screen, I do have to scroll just a little. The nice thing with that, though, is that there is enough space even on that tiny screen, to center the messages once I open a thread and then all the messages on that page are fully visible and only the poster's ID is slightly clipped on the left margin. So, again, it's not an issue for me at all other than having to re-center any time I change a page, but that's the price of using a small screened laptop.

Keep on rockin', TJ (and Bob and Mike!)!
Posted By: Brettski Re: Forum changes - 06/03/10 09:20 PM
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
I'll escalate to UBB asap. Can you provide me an example via PM or email as they always ask me first for an "example" as I'm literally in their ear daily.

Any and every one of my pics in any of the threads that I have posted. They are all sized at 640 x 480 and used to fill the forum area very nicely. I believe we used to be able to go up to about 700 wide before the pic would be too large and require scrolling left/right to see the whole thing. Now, all those 640 x 480 pics are pretty small.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Forum changes - 06/03/10 09:21 PM
They are showing properties at 400 x 300, but the hosting site (photobucket for me) is submitting at 640 x 480. Perhaps the UBB is re-sizing...?
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Forum changes - 06/03/10 09:28 PM
Thank you I understand I will escalate ASAP
Posted By: Sunil Re: Forum changes - 06/03/10 10:12 PM
"...I will escalate ASAP"

That sounds painful. Be careful.
Posted By: JKB Re: Forum changes - 06/03/10 10:40 PM
Who is Sock Puppet? - Did I miss something else? blush

I am sorry, but I have had cucumbers (pickles) and dill on my mind smile
Posted By: Brettski Re: Forum changes - 06/03/10 10:59 PM
beware; Sock Puppet is an escalation expert
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Forum changes - 06/04/10 03:08 PM
My vote is B. This is not a function of monitor size, I have a 24.5" inch monitor and I still have to scroll. I gotta tell ya this is a major annoyance for me on this forum. Every time I click on a post I have to use a scroll bar at the bottom to re-center.

I always read the forums by using the "Active Topics" and past 24 hours feature. This gives me a list of the posts that have occurred recently. Having them appear at the right seems redundant.

I am using Mozilla Firefox. Is this scroll issue caused by particular browsers?
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Forum changes - 06/04/10 03:17 PM
I use ie8 upstairs and everything fits fine.

I use ie7 downstairs in my office and I have to scroll, like you.

We still don't know if it's a browser issue, but I don't believe it is.

We could eliminate the recent posts feature and move the newly uploaded images to the left margin.

Please weigh in with your feedback. We'll be basing the course of action on your collective direction.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Forum changes - 06/04/10 03:27 PM
I just tried an experiment.

Using the same computer equipment, and with absolutely no changes to monitor settings:

Mozilla Firefox - the scroll bar appears.

Internet Explorer - the scroll bar appears.

Opera - no scroll bar.

If worst comes to worst I'll just view Pond Boss with Opera.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Forum changes - 06/04/10 03:34 PM
Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
If worst comes to worst I'll just view Pond Boss with Opera.

Good thinking. That way, the Forum isn't over 'til the fat lady sings.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Forum changes - 06/04/10 03:38 PM
LOL!!!

Experiment number 2:

By zooming out in Mozilla (view, zoom, zoom out - or Control + -) I can get the scroll bar to go away. But like the native setting for Opera, by the time the scroll bar goes away the text appears only slightly larger than ant droppings.

But this does work, so I'm speculating that the scroll bar is a function of browser settings, not the choice of browser.

Further experimentation has found a "zoom" setting that is possible to read and does not have a scroll bar. So I'm good now.

Folks that are having the scroll issue, try resetting the zoom function of your browser.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Forum changes - 06/04/10 03:47 PM
Jeff

Is it only when you click on a post to read that this scrolling issue occurs? For me, when I'm sitting on the home page of the forum everything is fine, it's only when I click on a post to read that the scrolling occurs. Please everyone let me know your thoughts.
Posted By: JKB Re: Forum changes - 06/04/10 03:53 PM
I use Google Chrome most of the time, and once in a while, Firefox. I have not had any issues with either.

I like the recent post side bar.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Forum changes - 06/04/10 03:55 PM
Jeff

Is it only when you click on a post to read that this scrolling issue occurs? For me, when I'm sitting on the home page of the forum everything is fine, it's only when I click on a post to read that the scrolling occurs. Please everyone let me know your thoughts.

That is exactly correct.

Now that I have "zoomed out" (no comments from the peanut gallery please, I realize that most of you think I zoomed out years ago) I can use Mozilla Firefox without a scroll bar appearing.

TJ try resetting your zoom setting and see what happens.

Now that I can make the scroll bar disappear I don't care what appears where. Well except it would be nice if on the right side of my monitor I could get a list of all threads that contain recent GSF blasphemy, it would improve my ability to monitor such nonsense.
Posted By: Cisco Re: Forum changes - 06/04/10 04:22 PM
I reset my zoom as JHAP explained and the scroll issue is solved to a certain degree. It does reduce my text size naturally but that's not a problem until I submit a post (like now) it is hard to red whut I'm tiping. I think the zoom will work fine on my end now that i know it exists! I do agree with JHAP on the recent posts. I too always go to the "active topics" to view them. I'm not sure I agree with him on GSF notes though.
Thanks TJ!!
Posted By: Cisco Re: Forum changes - 06/04/10 04:51 PM
And thanks to JHAP also!! I never knew the zoom feature was there.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Forum changes - 06/04/10 06:18 PM
I'm liking the new forum look. I get to observe it on at least six different computers, using a variety of browsers, all without any issues. I vote for Option A too.

The only place I have a problem is on my "smart phone" -- but, that's a whole 'nother issue. It's usable though.

Ken
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Forum changes - 06/04/10 06:19 PM
JHAP, I use Firefox on both of my laptops and the scroll issue only appears on my small netbook. I am not familiar with the active topics and past 24 hours features. I'll take a look for them now, but any insights into what they are/how they work? Are they automatic things that maybe I'm just not realizing that's not what they're called, or did you have to set up a preference within your profile to access those features?
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Forum changes - 06/04/10 06:54 PM
FYI

I escalated the issue raised by Eric and Jeff RE posting photos on the Image Gallery - here was my response today - sorry I don't have better news. Looks as if we'll have to wait for their next available upgrade - boy that should be fun to install all over again! smirk

Hi Tom,

Ok, I see it now. Images are currently not actually allowed in replies to photo gallery forums, due to layout issues. We are working on changing this for our next version however.

Regards,
Jake

You can access this ticket online at https://www.ubbcentral.com/tickets/ticket.php?ticket=561:BXV9X6

Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Forum changes - 06/04/10 07:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Todd3138
JHAP, I use Firefox on both of my laptops and the scroll issue only appears on my small netbook. I am not familiar with the active topics and past 24 hours features. I'll take a look for them now, but any insights into what they are/how they work? Are they automatic things that maybe I'm just not realizing that's not what they're called, or did you have to set up a preference within your profile to access those features?

I don't think any changes need to occur. Up at the top of the screen (directly beneath the advertising ribbon) you will see "Active Topics" if you click on this then it will display a list of topics that have been posted to. You can further refine this but selecting "past 24 hours, past 48 hours, past 7 days.

I use this feature daily.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Forum changes - 06/04/10 07:28 PM
FYI

I escalated the issue raised by Eric and Jeff RE posting photos on the Image Gallery - here was my response today - sorry I don't have better news. Looks as if we'll have to wait for their next available upgrade - boy that should be fun to install all over again! smirk

Bummer, this now makes me hate Image Gallery posts.

I hold you personally responsible for this short coming. I shall add a tab to my "TJ excel spreadsheet" to tract the number of times that I post to an Image Gallery post and cannot directly link an image. When we next meet the severity of the discipline that I inflict on you shall be calculated in part by the results of the aforementioned multitabbed spreadsheet.

Jeez these forums can be a lot of work.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Forum changes - 06/04/10 07:59 PM
When we next meet the severity of the discipline that I inflict on you shall be calculated in part by the results of the aforementioned multitabbed spreadsheet.

Can we watch? laugh??

Would we want to watch? cry?? sick??
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Forum changes - 06/04/10 08:01 PM
My vote is B. This is not a function of monitor size, I have a 24.5" inch monitor and I still have to scroll. I gotta tell ya this is a major annoyance for me on this forum. Every time I click on a post I have to use a scroll bar at the bottom to re-center.

I always read the forums by using the "Active Topics" and past 24 hours feature. This gives me a list of the posts that have occurred recently. Having them appear at the right seems redundant.

Jeff

Do you have a 24.5" monitor or two monitors that equate to that screen size? The latter of which would still have the scrolling issue I think.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Forum changes - 06/04/10 09:14 PM
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Can we watch? laugh??

Would we want to watch? cry?? sick??

Yes you can.

Freak.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Forum changes - 06/04/10 09:21 PM
Do you have a 24.5" monitor or two monitors that equate to that screen size? The latter of which would still have the scrolling issue I think.

laugh

I have two monitors, One is 24.5" inches at the diagonal, the second is 21.3" inches at the diagonal.

When discussing the issues above (using the zoom feature of the browser) I am discussing how the image appears on the 24.5" monitor (on just one monitor).

I can in fact stretch in image across both monitors and have 45.8 diagonal inches of pond boss forum but that's just crazy talk.

Trust me you do not want to see the photo of DIED's tarantula stretched across two monitors.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Forum changes - 06/04/10 09:25 PM
Well, that narrows it down to you simply being cursed. I guess I'll have to escalate that to the cyber witch doctors.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Forum changes - 06/04/10 09:30 PM
For now I'll just adjust down the browser zoom and start eating lots of carrots.

Trust me on this, if you ever try two monitors you'll never go back to one.
Posted By: esshup Re: Forum changes - 06/05/10 01:02 AM
I finally figured out what you guys are talking about, and I have to scroll to the right to see the post as well. I've been doing it for so long that I do it automatically. I'd run downstairs to get tape measure and measure the monitor, but this is the first time I've sat down all day and I want to stay parked here for a while.

FWIW,when I open a thread, the right side of readable words stops right at the "C" in the "quick reply" tab without scrolling to the right.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Forum changes - 06/05/10 01:05 AM
That's no excuse, go get a tape measure. laugh

Depending upon your browser you should be able to modify the "zoom" and zoom out.

The good news is that you should be able to eliminate the scroll bar.

The bad news is that you'll need a magnifying glass to read your monitor. shocked
Posted By: esshup Re: Forum changes - 06/05/10 01:12 AM
That's no excuse, go get a tape measure. laugh

Depending upon your browser you should be able to modify the "zoom" and zoom out. The good news is that you should be able to eliminate the scroll bar.

The bad news is that you'll need a magnifying glass to read your monitor. shocked

Damit, just when I get comfy... O.K. The viewable portion of the monitor is 11.790" high by 18.750" wide. Diagonally it's 22.000" (O.K., maybe it's 22.001") grin In the reply pane, the scroll button goes away when viewed at 85%. My nose to screen dimension is 45" when reading, 28" when typing.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Forum changes - 06/05/10 02:27 AM
Quote:
Thank you I understand I will escalate ASAP

Thank you DR Teehjaeh57. I haven't complained though I have tried several approaches to get my photos to be normal. I am not talking extraordinary, just normal. laugh

JHAP, so you only have 2 displays?
Posted By: JKB Re: Forum changes - 06/05/10 03:08 AM
The only time I get a scroll bar is when I change my screen resolution. I usually run at 1680 x 1050. I dropped it down to 1024 x 768 and a scroll bar appeared.

Do a test and change your screen resolution, bump it up a bit and see what happens. I think that may be your main problem.

Test
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Forum changes - 06/05/10 03:17 AM
Okay, photos are automatically resizing when posting to the forum - got it. I will see what I can do on this end. Other than the scroll issue, which we're still trying to figure out, anything else you can bring to my attention? I'd like to hammer these lingering bugs out ASAP.
Posted By: JKB Re: Forum changes - 06/05/10 03:39 AM
Okay, photos are automatically resizing when posting to the forum - got it. I will see what I can do on this end. Other than the scroll issue, which we're still trying to figure out, anything else you can bring to my attention? I'd like to hammer these lingering bugs out ASAP.

The scroll bar issue is probably a user hardware/setting/comfort issue. I lowered my screen resolution three different times/tests, and each time a scroll bar appeared on Firefox and Google Chrome. So I would bet that it is not a forum issue, and all of my computers are CAD Workstations.

No other problems that I can tell.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Forum changes - 06/05/10 12:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Dwight
JHAP, so you only have 2 displays?

shocked shocked shocked

Dang I feel so inadequate now. laugh

Oh well, at least my computer equipment is recyclable.

Posted By: esshup Re: Forum changes - 06/05/10 02:07 PM
I agree that the scroll bar is a display/resolution issue, but the photo's are another matter. They didn't just change when they are posted, all the old photo's are changed as well. The ones in my "pond renovation" thread from February 2009 are also resized when viewed.
Posted By: JKB Re: Forum changes - 06/05/10 03:54 PM
I had not noticed the photo issue, as I have not posted one in a while. Yep, all of mine are teeny.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Forum changes - 06/05/10 04:04 PM
Originally Posted By: JKB
I had not noticed the photo issue, as I have not posted one in a while. Yep, all of mine are teeny.

Heck, I thought is was a new feature to keep monster photos from eating all my bandwidth and having to scroll forever. I actually like it. Just a little bigger would be good, but, especially on my little screens with limited bandwidth, it is a great feature!

Ken
Posted By: Dwight Re: Forum changes - 06/06/10 01:14 AM
Quote:
My nose to screen dimension is 45" when reading, 28" when typing.

My nose to screen dimension is 39" when reading and typing.

JHAP - Since you just cut and paste, what is your nose to screen? smirk
Posted By: Dwight Re: Forum changes - 06/06/10 02:05 AM
You can right click on a photo and then left click "view image" to see the photo full size.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Forum changes - 06/06/10 02:15 AM
Try the right click then left click "view image" for proof of my madness.

Posted By: JKB Re: Forum changes - 06/06/10 02:42 AM
Yep, that works in Firefox.

Thanks

In Google Chrome, you right click, then left click "open image in new tab".

Could not get anything to work in Internet Explorer

Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Forum changes - 06/06/10 03:58 AM
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Originally Posted By: JKB

Heck, I thought is was a new feature to keep monster photos from eating all my bandwidth and having to scroll forever. I actually like it. Just a little bigger would be good, but, especially on my little screens with limited bandwidth, it is a great feature!

Ken

Ken's spot on - it is. Max was set at 400 to eliminate huge pix from eating up bandwidth. I've requested we change the setting to allow larger photos. Will keep the forum apprised of when we make the changes.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Forum changes - 06/06/10 04:39 PM
Quote:
Could not get anything to work in Internet Explorer

People still use that? laugh
Posted By: Matt Clark Re: Forum changes - 06/07/10 07:28 PM

It's not special to Firefox...I'm using IE 8.0 and have the same issue, and it IS annoying. Not life or death...but slows me down a bit. A change would be welcome...but I'm just one person.
Posted By: JKB Re: Forum changes - 06/07/10 11:57 PM
HI Matt,

The main reason you have to scroll right or left is due to your hardware/software/restrictions/preferences, you have.

As I have said previously, I am use to higher resolution, but when I dropped it down, I got a R-L scroll bar.

I am probably not explaining it enough in depth, and I Apologize.

TJ,

Dump the left margin. Move "Main Menu" and "Search" to the top in an open spot. Take Stat's and "Top Posters" and shove them to the bottom. Also, put "New Members" on the bottom, but high-lite them, like a whole line across the bottom, but change the color of the text.

Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Forum changes - 06/08/10 05:06 AM

Believe we have the scrolling issues resolved and I'm hopeful we didn't create any new problems - but it's possible. Please provide feedback - and thanks.

TJ
Posted By: JKB Re: Forum changes - 06/08/10 09:12 PM
Thanks TJ,

I never had a scrolling issue, but I could create one based on my configuration.

I am glad you got this figured out for everyone!

Thanks again,

J.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Forum changes - 06/14/10 05:20 PM
All;

Wanted to announce one can now upload excel documents to the forum. Scott, are you listening?

Attached File
Pond Stocking.xls  (217 downloads)
Posted By: esshup Re: Forum changes - 06/14/10 05:21 PM
Nope, I'm not listening, but I AM reading! grin

Thanks!
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Forum changes - 06/14/10 11:03 PM
All;

Wanted to announce one can now upload excel documents to the forum. Scott, are you listening?

Awesome! I recently got my water chemistry results back (along with the results of analysis on my pond silt and a LMB) and don't really know how to read them, so those suckers are getting posted once I figure out how to do so!
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Forum changes - 06/14/10 11:28 PM
Alright. How do you attach a spreadsheet?
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Forum changes - 06/15/10 01:12 AM
Switch to full reply function and select file manager and upload away! Let me know if we need a tutorial...I'll try to work on something later. It's my daughter's 9th bday and I'd better get back to the festivities.
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Forum changes - 06/15/10 01:45 AM
Thanks, bro. I'll give it a shot and see if I can figure out the file manager function. Happy b-day to your daughter! My youngest daughter just turned 8 at the end of May, my oldest turns 11 next week, and my son turns 5 mid-July. Great time in their lives for sure. Convey b-day greetings from WV!
Posted By: esshup Re: Forum changes - 06/15/10 05:24 AM
Todd, basically the same way that you'd upload a picture when not using a hosting website.
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Forum changes - 06/15/10 01:58 PM
I had no idea of what the heck that file manager thingy was below the message box until last night! Argh! Well, you live and learn, right??!!
Posted By: esshup Re: Forum changes - 06/15/10 02:09 PM
Todd, I learn new things every day. Unfortunately I can't use most of them! grin
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Forum changes - 06/15/10 02:51 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
Todd, I learn new things every day. Unfortunately I can't use most of them! grin

At least until you sit down to a game of Trivial Pursuit! grin
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Forum changes - 06/15/10 05:13 PM
Todd

Follow directions on tutorial and you should navigate the process just fine - sorry I should have explained that better. Let me know if you're having issues, and anyone else for that matter, and I'll try to spare some time to write another tutorial if many of you want to upload documents.
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Forum changes - 06/15/10 05:16 PM
It was actually really simple once I had a second to give it a try. Got it all posted nice and easy last night under the water chemistry thread, so now I'm just waiting to see what those in the know think about my results.

Easy feature and nice to have. Catmandoo and I were actually just talking last Friday during our adventure about getting my results posted somehow. And now you've gone and made it possible! You rock, dude! cool
Posted By: andedammen Re: Forum changes - 06/27/10 09:47 PM
Hi TJ57
First thanks to you and the rest off PB owners mods helpers............. for keeping the forum free and open.
The PB forum has realy opend my prospectiv on pond management and I find the grate mix off pros, semipros and "amateur" pondmeisters unique worldwide.
I hope there will be a electronic magazine then I know for sure I will sign up for subscrip. I'm still considering a overseas sub
on the paper isue we'll see, lots off changes lately +++.

Isue: On the new secstione "wellcome to PB" you can't reply, wich is OK but it should be informed in your wellcome intro, I see that people introduce them self, and adress their isues, and it's not possible to respond.
You can't say welcome or answer the questiones, so that should maybe be informed about in intro?

Thanks for all things so far, hope you manage to keep the profile, thru the expantione.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Forum changes - 06/28/10 04:52 AM
Ande

You're right - nice catch. I was wondering why more guys [besides Sunil] weren't replying to our new members. It's because only admin and moderators have the ability at this time. I'll try to get this resolved tonight. I'm not IT saavy by any stretch, but I'm learning this stuff on the fly. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Forum changes - 06/28/10 08:37 AM
I was wondering what was up too... I couldn't reply either, I figured I had finally gotten banned for life.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Forum changes - 06/28/10 01:23 PM
I noticed it yesterday and figured that I had become persona non grata! I was afraid to ask.
© Pond Boss Forum