Pond Boss
Posted By: GOPACK How many tilapia did I get ? - 04/28/10 01:30 PM
I hate to ask this question but I have searched the internet and come up short.

All the tilapia recomendations come in pounds per acre.

I bought tilapia by the fish, and can't find the average length / weight for tilapia

I bought 75 6-9 inch tilapia. I believe the dealer said they were 200gram @0.5 pounds a peice. That seems like it might be a little heavy to me

Can someone who deals with these tell me about how many pounds of tilapia I stocked ( 75 6-9 inchers)
Posted By: ewest Re: How many tilapia did I get ? - 04/28/10 02:07 PM
That is a good question and very hard to answer. It depends on the fish's condition and length. If most were 6 inches the answer would be different than if most were 9 inches. At an average of 7.5 inches and good condition then the 200gr ( .44 lbs) and is a little high to me. My guess is you got around 22 lbs (could be anywhere from 20 to 30 lbs).
Posted By: esshup Re: How many tilapia did I get ? - 04/28/10 02:17 PM
look on page 4

It has a chart that plots length to weight. It might not be exactly what you are looking for, and you have to convert cm and grams to inches and ounces, but it's a start.

With smaller fish, I think their individual weights will vary quite a lot with small length changes.
Posted By: esshup Re: How many tilapia did I get ? - 04/28/10 02:42 PM
GOPACK, somewhere on this forum I asked something along the lines of the same question, but not for Tilapia and EWEST or Rainman posted an answer.

I wish that there was a link somewhere to a chart in the archives of how many fish were in a pound, per size class, per species. I'm sure that the fish hatchery business has something like that. The size class of fish sold is pretty common, and the fish haulers should have a chart somewhere that says 100 BG 2"-4" weigh this much, 100 LMB 6"-8" weigh this much, etc.

After all, the carrying capacity of the hauling tanks is based on pounds of fish, and we normally order most of the fish for stocking per individual fish.
Posted By: GOPACK Re: How many tilapia did I get ? - 04/28/10 03:29 PM
thanks for the help. with 20 - 30lbs for 3 acres it should be borderline for the number needed for the pond. It is at least enough to get a result anyway.

I love having them. they are so light colored that I can watch many of them from the dock. Some hang out alone and some in schools of 10-15.

It has been such a warm spring in eastern NC that some have already started making beds and have devoloped bright red colors on their fins.
© Pond Boss Forum