Pond Boss
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Fish cages bearing fruit - 04/24/10 02:29 AM
For the past several years my parents have had their heart set on quince fruit from the trees they planted on my property. Unfortunately the deer were nipping off the buds at night so, so far no fruit. Looks like that will change this year as my dad took some fish cages I wasn't using (I made them much too large at first) and put them around the trees so the deer couldn't reach them. (They are open on top except for the top edges).

They aren't the most attractive thing in the world but they do the job.

Here are this year's blossoms that are just coming out.

Posted By: hang_loose Re: Fish cages bearing fruit - 04/26/10 03:42 AM
Cecil, What does a quince fruit look like?
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Fish cages bearing fruit - 04/26/10 03:52 AM
We have to cage almost anything we plant or the deer mow them to the ground... This past winter with multiple heavy snows really had the deer eating anything! Even scrub pine shoots which means the deer were really starving.

Quince are related to apples and pears. Their fruit are basically seckel pear sized, but a little more unevenly shaped and bright yellow when ripe and in my experience, more for preserves, jellies and baking over fresh eating. Very high in pectin and astringent.
Posted By: BrianH Re: Fish cages bearing fruit - 04/26/10 04:27 PM
I just finished a cage around my two blueberry bushes (in pots) and built it out of pvc and zip ties like Cecil.
I have the pots beside my shop and left one side open so I can slide the cage away with ease.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Fish cages bearing fruit - 04/26/10 05:17 PM
You can do a lot of cool stuff with PVC. I made an axle for my rotating biofilter using it. A 3 inch piece fits right in side a 4 inch and a 2 inch fits in side a 3 inch piece.

The cage material also lasts a log time. I'm still using material I bought 10 years ago.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Fish cages bearing fruit - 04/27/10 11:28 PM
Cecil, is that pic showing the neighbors house to the south and also being south of your big pond? A few yrs ago we had some heavy and lasting snow and the pesky Bambies ate about $400 worth of Arborvitas, in 08-09 they grubbed 23 White pine. Last yr I planted 35 Blue Spruce and 22 White pines and fenced em in with a 6' fence. All survived unscathed. Problem is as they get big enough to transplant where I want em for wind brakes, the BS won't be attractive as food but the bucks will rub them to remove their velvet and to mark their territory. Mother nature permits us our folly of thinking we control "our" property but in the long run nature rules. Bob-O
Not to change the subject but last yr ya offered for me to come catch some big bullfrogs, invite still open?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Fish cages bearing fruit - 04/28/10 02:33 AM
The house to the south is one of my neighbors. He's a retired cop. Unlike other friends I have that are cops, he doesn't have much of a personality and he's complained about the sound of one of my diaphragm pumps and my trash pump. I didn't have to but I changed out the pump for a quieter one and I only use electric pumps now for my back ponds. I figure it's best to keep your neighbors happy as you never know when you might need them.

Yes offer to come over after frogs is still open. You can have as many as you want. I hear using a miners light at night and net on a log pole works best. I have a net on a long pole but not sure if it's deep enough.
Posted By: esshup Re: Fish cages bearing fruit - 04/28/10 03:40 AM
I've used a light and a long rod with a piece of liver and a hook with good success. Dabble it on the water near the frog and they'll bite it. They're not any worse than a fish to unhook.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Fish cages bearing fruit - 04/28/10 12:46 PM
Thanks Cecil. Frog season does'nt open till June but I'd like ta come over and just chew the fat sometime around mid May if it's alright. I'd like ta invite BC along also, let me know.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Fish cages bearing fruit - 04/28/10 10:55 PM

You're welcome anytime Bob although I may be working somewhere soon as the fish taxidermy business is so slow.

You're also welcome to all the frogs you want but I misunderstood and thought it was for stocking the pond. If you're after eating size ones you may be disappointed. I haven't seen the really big one in a while and most of the others this year are not that big. Maybe something is eating them or the bigger ones didn't make through the winter?
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Fish cages bearing fruit - 04/29/10 02:04 AM
Cecil, sorry ta hear ya might have to get a time structured job. You did'nt misunderstand, I do want them for my pond, it's just that I know you are such a stickler for obeying all of the important and logical laws that I did'nt want to take something as crucial as frogs out of season. I'm sure that the capture of BFs for stocking purposes must be performed in compliance with the laws for killing and consuming them. Would'nt want to offend your noise sensitive neighbor. June is a ways off and I will keep in touch hoping that I can get in a visit while collecting the frogs.
PS Can't ya get the wife another shift? (Hope she does'nt read this)
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Fish cages bearing fruit - 04/29/10 02:55 AM
Cecil, sorry ta hear ya might have to get a time structured job.

Such is life. Maybe it's time for a career change anyway. Hey who knows I might get my thriller novel done soon. Not sure if I told ya but I thought it was time to try some fiction and it pays better than nonfiction too!
grin

You did'nt misunderstand, I do want them for my pond, it's just that I know you are such a stickler for obeying all of the important and logical laws that I did'nt want to take something as crucial as frogs out of season. I'm sure that the capture of BFs for stocking purposes must be performed in compliance with the laws for killing and consuming them. Would'nt want to offend your noise sensitive neighbor. June is a ways off and I will keep in touch hoping that I can get in a visit while collecting the frogs.

You bet you can visit and bring along anyone you want. I work alone day after day. It's nice to have company sometimes. If you do come though during work hours we may have to visit as I work.

I don't see a problem with you collecting frogs any time of the year on my private property. If they have to be in season law enforcement can bite me. I follow the law but to me that would be going too far on the part of the DNR as to me private IS private.

PS Can't ya get the wife another shift? (Hope she does'nt read this)

No worries she's sound asleep snoring away. smirk Trouble is she already puts in 15 hour days as a teacher. shocked

BTW I didn't use the normal quotes as the program won't let me for some reason.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Fish cages bearing fruit - 04/30/10 06:51 PM
Cecil, ya always make me lol I love the "bite me" attitude. As usual it is difficult to express humor without the benefit of sarcastic voice and facial expression. I was just yankin yer chain about being so follow the rules proper. I think most everyone has to use plain ol common sense about particular rules. I completely agree that a private pond or land is just that, so I actually had planned to bring some of yer frogs to my pond to serenade me and eat my private bugs. As far as visiting as you work, no problem, I love to watch others work. I'll be in touch. Bob-O
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Fish cages bearing fruit - 04/30/10 10:36 PM
Bob,

Trust me I'm not that up tight. You can yank my chain anytime.

Hey are you interested in any turtles if I have some I want to get rid of? There is a small risk they could chew into my floating cages (haven't had it happen yet), so if I catch any by net, I'd like to get rid of them. Trouble is I need a permit and I can' just dump them in any old public waters. As long as I find a private pond or or something I'm good to go.
Posted By: esshup Re: Fish cages bearing fruit - 05/01/10 02:37 AM
Quote Cecil: "Hey are you interested in any turtles if I have some I want to get rid of? There is a small risk they could chew into my floating cages (haven't had it happen yet), so if I catch any by net, I'd like to get rid of them. Trouble is I need a permit and I can' just dump them in any old public waters. As long as I find a private pond or or something I'm good to go."

Does your cop neighbor have a swimming pool??? grin

Quote Cecil: "You bet you can visit and bring along anyone you want. I work alone day after day. It's nice to have company sometimes. If you do come though during work hours we may have to visit as I work."

And here I thought you were out of work!!

Hey, you can guesstimate fish weights can't you? I saw a Musky that was sitting in S.A. Loons restraunt in Minocqua, Wi. that came out of Lake Minocqua. It was found dead, with a full grown duck lodged in it's throat in 1993. They didn't have a weight listed on the placque, but they said that it was 67" long (and it looked it!) It was VERY thick. Any guesses on what it weighed?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Fish cages bearing fruit - 05/01/10 04:58 AM
Scott,

Not out of work just not much coming in. I got a call today on a 12 1/2 inch bluegill. I'll bet anything it's actually a redear!

I've never seen a musky over 55 inches so I have no idea what one would weigh that long. I would guess over 50 lbs.
Posted By: esshup Re: Fish cages bearing fruit - 05/01/10 02:49 PM
No bets! The next time I'm there I'll take a couple of pictures. They also have a walleye on the wall that looks like it's in the high teens, it's huge.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Fish cages bearing fruit - 05/01/10 05:08 PM
I like Esshups idea of sharing with your neighbor. I don't want any turtles for myself but can get rid of em at my neighbors. I won't be able to get over there till after mommas day. Why do ya need to dump at a private site?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Fish cages bearing fruit - 05/01/10 07:56 PM
Actually moving a turtle to a neigbor's (swimming pool or not LOL) isn't really a good idea. Most likely they would come right back.

As far as why a private site it's the way the law is written. You can't move an animal to public waters or ground. Possibility of disease transmission etc. Definitely goes with fish. I can respect that.

I haven't seen any turtles lately so maybe I'm good for now.
© Pond Boss Forum