Pond Boss
Posted By: SK63 Aerators and T-Storms - 04/22/10 12:42 PM
Assuming you're living on site, what do you guys do with your aerators when a T-storm hits ? Leave them on or off ?
Posted By: ken Re: Aerators and T-Storms - 04/22/10 12:46 PM
Leave it on.
Posted By: Cary Martin Re: Aerators and T-Storms - 04/22/10 01:24 PM
SK63,

There should be not harm to the water body with an aeration system on during a thunderstorm, infact it helps since the sun is being blocked and photosynthesis is reduced.

The only issue I see is to prevent the system from being hit directly and burning up the motor...that can happen with our computers too. Power surge can kill any electrical equipment.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Aerators and T-Storms - 04/23/10 10:04 AM
I had a power surge hit one of my compressors which is a rotary vane 1/3 hp. (old model vs. the 1/4 hp.) It was thunderstorm related but we used to get power surges here all the time, and I had more than one appliance damaged until I put in a surge protection where the power comes into the house.

Strangely the power surge caused the compressor to run backwards. Bill Cody knew someone that could repair it economically and it's as good as new now. I was told the older models are more prone than the newer 1/4 h.p. for some reason.
© Pond Boss Forum