Pond Boss
Posted By: Bullhead Fish trap - 04/13/10 06:07 PM
Could someone be so kind as to link me to the fish trap plan that was on here a couple of weeks ago and sometime previous to that. I believe that it was actually off of catfish.com or some such thing.
Thank you in advance.
Posted By: jakeb Re: Fish trap - 04/13/10 06:21 PM
its in this thread http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=16336&Number=210877#Post210877
Posted By: Bullhead Re: Fish trap - 04/19/10 01:32 PM
Well, I built one of these traps and threw it into a small muddy pond that I have that I stocked with about 6 bullheads from a creek two years ago. It was baited with a piece of bread, a handful of dog food and a banana muffin. It was in about 18 hours and here is what I pulled out this morning.

I would guess near a hundred finger sized bullheads.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Fish trap - 04/19/10 01:33 PM
Man, that is some fine flathead bait right there!
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Fish trap - 04/19/10 01:48 PM
Great job. That's pretty impressive. Did you catch any BG etc?
Posted By: Bullhead Re: Fish trap - 04/19/10 01:59 PM
No, I don't think that there are any in here. This is a two acre pond that I had put in about 15 years ago or so. I've stocked it with "real" fish in the past but it dries out during drought years so I gave up and threw in a few bullheads.
I hope to put the trap in my real pond today to get some samples of my bluegill genetics.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Fish trap - 04/19/10 01:59 PM
The secret was the Banana muffin.
Posted By: Bullhead Re: Fish trap - 04/19/10 02:58 PM
 Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
The secret was the Banana muffin.

The question is, do I tell my wife that, the one who made the muffins?
Posted By: jakeb Re: Fish trap - 04/19/10 05:34 PM
glad it worked for you. it has worked for me, Im going to start running my harder this summer, hope I get the same results.

And no dont tell her
Posted By: rcn11thacr Re: Fish trap - 04/19/10 06:25 PM
Bullhead, i like the homemade trap, can you post another picture that shows the hole trap please? Looks pretty simple to copy just from looking at the picture.
Posted By: Bullhead Re: Fish trap - 04/19/10 06:53 PM
I did but you would be better served to go to the link above. It gives you more photos and instructions.

Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Fish trap - 04/20/10 02:47 AM
Throw some GSF in that pond and you'll have a dream fishery!
Posted By: ken Re: Fish trap - 04/20/10 04:29 PM
I made 2 traps. My buddy is coming over to put them in. I made the in holes 1" x 4". My goal is to keep the 3 to 5" BG in it. The small ones hopefully can get back out. If they don't then they go too. That link the guy had the mesh at $16 a roll in 96. It's $28 now with tax.
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Fish trap - 05/13/10 08:25 PM
How deep did you set the trap?

Also did you say you only put in 6 of these guys and now have this many?

I made the mistake and put some of these in a pond as well a year or so ago. That is way before I have ran across these posts stating not to do so. I just hope that out of the ones I put in there, they were all male. I am sure with my luck they were all female with one male and I have a pond full of these mudcats.

Maybe I can convince someone to try to catch all of them out and use them for bait, as I have never been fond of eating them.
Posted By: Bullhead Re: Fish trap - 05/13/10 08:51 PM
I put it in as far as I could throw it without falling in. Probably in only two foot of water.
Yes we "stocked" six bullheads from a local creek in 2008. The pond dries out in dry years so we didn't want to waste money stocking good fish.
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Fish trap - 05/13/10 11:00 PM
So do you eat them or just use them for bait?

They can be fun to catch and I always liked it as a kid, but those darn things can sure leave a nasty mark if they get ya.
Posted By: Bullhead Re: Fish trap - 07/20/10 01:52 PM
If you are talking about the banana muffins I normally eat them.
The bullheads, I just look at with scorn.
© Pond Boss Forum