Pond Boss
Posted By: the stick Pond Buzzbaits - 03/05/10 01:14 AM
Anyone have a particular buzzbait style, size, or color they like for pond fishing? Any special tricks? My favorite is a 1/4 oz in white, single bi-wing blade with or without a clacker depending on the breaks. The only thing I change is trimming the skirt to the bend of the hook which seems to help on short strikes and make sure the hook is deadly sharp. Cast them with a 6ft pistol grip M to MH rod with a 6.3 ratio baitcasting reel and 20lb braid. I have spring fever!
Posted By: fishinglth Re: Pond Buzzbaits - 03/05/10 02:19 AM
Stick, I always have a buzzbait tied on one of my rods. I like the 3/8 to 1/2 oz., white, white/chartruese, or black with a single blade. I always use a trailer hook. I have taken a tooth pick and put a small amount of battery acid on the wire were the blade rotates, and I have tied the lure to my antenna on the drive to the lake, both seem to make the bait have more of a squeal that seems to attract the bass. Typically the bass you catch on a buzz bait seem larger. I always try it on a cloudy day, when it they are own it, it is awesome.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Pond Buzzbaits - 03/05/10 03:20 AM
Since my pond is only about 3/4 acre, I find that my fish learn real quick about hazards to their lives.

Natural baits, and very natural-looking and natural smelling baits, are the only things that regularly trick my fish.

My fish seem to learn very quickly that buzz baits, spinners, and other non-smelly, non-life-like baits, just aren't worth attacking.

They are real suckers for live pollywogs, minnows, worms, crickets, etc.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Pond Buzzbaits - 03/05/10 05:06 AM
I agree with Ken, a number of the ponds I fish are smaller and see a ton of pressure. Fishing a buzzbait in them would be a waste of time.

However, when I fish bigger less heavily fished ponds, I used the Booyah Pond Magic Buzzbait a good bit last year and I liked the smaller size. The hooks come super sharp right out of the packaging. The one time I have found I can catch heavily fished for bass in small ponds on a buzzbait is at night using all black buzzbaits. If you have never night fished, give it a try this year. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Since I work the night shift, I do it a lot these days and have been very impressed with the results and the solitude if fishing a public lake.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Pond Buzzbaits - 03/05/10 10:00 AM
My experience mirrors Kens and I also don't have large ponds. I find that small, non obtrusive, quiet, lures work the best. I even use non weighted 4 to 6 inch worms.
Posted By: RC51 Re: Pond Buzzbaits - 03/05/10 04:24 PM
Yeah too am in the small pond situation. I use a 2.5 inch jointed black and silver rapala and they LOVE IT!!! It much more natural to them and my water is quite clear. Now if I am fishing on a lake I use 1/4 to 3/8 ounce buzz baits with a triple blade either white or yellow. I like the triple blade as they seem to get up on the water quicker in the first couple of feet. At least they do to me.
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Pond Buzzbaits - 03/05/10 04:31 PM
I love the dollar-buzz from the discount rack at WalMart. I dunno. When i first got into angling i pretty much exclusively fished with dollar-spins and dollar-buzzes. Lame, i know, but i hit them pretty hard with a dollar-buzz.

I second the black jointed rapala though...I get mad action on a lil black jointed deally i picked up last year.
Posted By: Bill Douglas Re: Pond Buzzbaits - 03/05/10 04:49 PM
I find that the 1/8 oz buzzbait by Booyah works very well. I have caught the two largest bass on it from my lake, both over 7lbs. If you haven't tried them, do it this year. You might be suprised. All of the colors seem to work. It is a rather subtle presentation for a buzzbait and is very effective.
Posted By: GOPACK Re: Pond Buzzbaits - 03/05/10 05:15 PM
I like the small booyah as well mainly becouse all my bass are small; also like a gary yammomoto 3" senko rigged texas style w/no weight it seem to work real good in summer and fall
Posted By: Dwight Re: Pond Buzzbaits - 03/05/10 11:04 PM
I always have a least one rod rigged with a buzzbait when fishing the pound. A buzzbait moving slowly through choppy water and/or around emergent plant life and/or before a storm and/or on a bright sunny day (etc) can be deadly on big LMB and NP as well.

Live bait is not allowed in Bremer Pond other than ice fishing season.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Pond Buzzbaits - 03/06/10 12:24 AM
 Originally Posted By: Dwight
Live bait is not allowed in Bremer Pond other than ice fishing season.

Dwight, possibly a silly question or one you've answered before even. But why allow during the ice fishing season? Is it simply because it's much more difficult to have success under the ice without live bait? I understand why you don't allow live bait during open water season, and I just assumed that precaution carried over to hardwater season as well.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Pond Buzzbaits - 03/06/10 02:31 AM
 Quote:
Dwight, possibly a silly question or one you've answered before even. But why allow during the ice fishing season? Is it simply because it's much more difficult to have success under the ice without live bait? I understand why you don't allow live bait during open water season, and I just assumed that precaution carried over to hard water season as well.

Actually that is great question!

Fish caught on live bait in the winter are generally mouth hooked. Their metabolism is low as is there aggression level. They see an easy meal and close their lips over it. The water is cold so the chance of infection is also low. Mortality is low.

Fish caught on live bait in the summer are hooked deeply and possibly gut hooked. Their metabolism is high as is there aggression level. They attack and attempt to swallow immediately. The water is warm so the chance of infection is high. Mortality is high.

No treble hooks are allowed on Bremer Pond, either.
© Pond Boss Forum