Pond Boss
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Beer Belly Perch - 02/26/10 04:32 AM
Found this on an ice fishing website. Amazing how big egg swelled yellow perch can get isn't it? I believe at least 30 percent of their body weight can be eggs -- or more?

Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Beer Belly Perch - 02/26/10 04:38 AM
My gosh! Any world on length and weight Cecil?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Beer Belly Perch - 02/26/10 04:40 AM
14 inches. Didn't say what it weighed.

My perch don't get this big of a belly. Not sure why but it may be due to lack of much natural food? But this year may be different. Tens of thousands of fatheads in the pond.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Beer Belly Perch - 02/26/10 04:43 AM
Normally, the amount of eggs produced would have to do with health of the fish... One would think perch getting a diet of Aquamax would be awfully good for them, but perhaps Aquamax doesn't have everything needed, some supplemental feed like the fatheads will make the difference?
Posted By: esshup Re: Beer Belly Perch - 02/26/10 02:54 PM
Cecil:

Any idea where in the US that came from?
Posted By: Matt Clark Re: Beer Belly Perch - 02/26/10 04:02 PM
My god...I think someone stuffed the OTHER Heineken can down that thing's gullet.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Beer Belly Perch - 02/26/10 04:49 PM
Take cover! It's about to blow!
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Beer Belly Perch - 02/26/10 04:54 PM
Jeez, that fish should have switched to lite beer.
Posted By: JKB Re: Beer Belly Perch - 02/26/10 04:58 PM
It knew it's fate, a final swim in Beer Batter
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Beer Belly Perch - 02/27/10 02:51 AM
 Originally Posted By: Matt Clark
My god...I think someone stuffed the OTHER Heineken can down that thing's gullet.

If a Heineken was stuffed down its gullet, we know it didn't come from Sunil's pond! That's alcohol abuse in his book!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Beer Belly Perch - 02/27/10 03:17 AM
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Normally, the amount of eggs produced would have to do with health of the fish... One would think perch getting a diet of Aquamax would be awfully good for them, but perhaps Aquamax doesn't have everything needed, some supplemental feed like the fatheads will make the difference?

Exactly what I was thinking.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Beer Belly Perch - 02/27/10 03:34 AM
 Originally Posted By: esshup
Cecil:

Any idea where in the US that came from?

Don't know but I pm'd the poster and will get back to you if he responds. I will also get a weight if he knows.

My guess in New York or PA.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Beer Belly Perch - 02/28/10 05:46 AM
Here's what thr angler said:

the fish was caught on 2/23/10 in Cascade Lake in Idaho. it was 14 1/4" long and 10 1/2" around. i didn't weight it but a buddy caught a twin to this one at the same time and weighed his. it was 2# 4oz. he said the egg sack weighed 3/4#. it's ok with me you posted pic eleswhere. it did fight very well but was caught in over 25' and it's blatter inverted so there was no letting it go. the heinken has a 2007 date on it as i save full cans from different trips i go on. this was from a trip to homer, alaska. weird but .. it was what i grabbed for reference. i have another buddy that caught a 15 5/8", 2#7oz perch two weeks ago in same lake.

Posted By: esshup Re: Beer Belly Perch - 02/28/10 03:18 PM
So that means that I better get out on Koontz to see if the perch are staging just off the flats getting ready to spawn!
© Pond Boss Forum