Pond Boss
Posted By: Ric Swaim Ice fishing supprise catch! - 01/29/10 02:42 AM
I've always wanted to catch a big sturgon.

Sturgon Caught In Saginaw Bay !!!!!!!
http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=321259
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Ice fishing supprise catch! - 01/29/10 03:03 AM
I am waiting for Nate to stock a few in one of the lakes he manages for ice fishing... HAHA That's a big fish!!!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Ice fishing supprise catch! - 01/29/10 03:17 AM
I wonder what the chances of long term survival of the fish is after laying out on the ice like that?
Posted By: rexcramer Re: Ice fishing supprise catch! - 01/29/10 03:25 AM
Awesome I fish Saginaw Bay all the time. The walleye fishing has been great, but a sturgeon is a once in a lifetime surprise
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Ice fishing supprise catch! - 01/29/10 04:01 AM
Might be why many states are making it illegal to even remove threatened/endangered species like sturgeon out of the water... I am hoping one day while fishing for blue cats in the Potomac I hook into a monster Atlantic Sturgeon. That would be a fish story to tell!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Ice fishing supprise catch! - 01/29/10 11:56 AM
Like Cecil, I wonder about survival. Lots of factors like length of the fight also come into play. Maybe a long slow fight like this rather than a violent battle will help it.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Ice fishing supprise catch! - 01/29/10 02:08 PM
Wow. Well written report.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Ice fishing supprise catch! - 01/29/10 02:23 PM
I plan on experimenting with pellet trained sturgeon and paddlefish in ponds. Give me about 10 years and I will hopefully report back with some ice fishing pics like that one!!
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Ice fishing supprise catch! - 01/29/10 02:28 PM
What does he mean by the "picked up my first eye, picked up my second eye" stuff?

The guy DIED and I purchased fish from also sold sturgeon.

I wanted to put one in the pond real bad. JWHAP wanted none of it.

Perhap's if I gave her one for Valentines day. Fish Wife or 2Cat, would this fall under romantic or practical? I wonder if they make pink sturgeon?
Posted By: ewest Re: Ice fishing supprise catch! - 01/29/10 02:35 PM
This is how we fish for them.

Posted By: n8ly Re: Ice fishing supprise catch! - 01/29/10 02:48 PM
JHAP,
I would say wait until a birthday or anniversary for the sturgeon present, but definitely put it on the list!
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Ice fishing supprise catch! - 01/29/10 03:03 PM
Nate, where are you sourcing your sturgeon and what species? The only species I can find for sale are white sturgeon from out west... Biologically, lake sturgeon require fairly cold water. Perhaps not in the class that trout do, but not far off. I can't wait to see what you come up with!
Posted By: Ryan Freeze Re: Ice fishing supprise catch! - 01/29/10 03:58 PM
Freshwater Farms of Ohio has a sturgeon petting zoo. Not sure if they're for sale but they're about 4' long I think. They're surprisingly receptive to being touched.
Posted By: esshup Re: Ice fishing supprise catch! - 01/29/10 04:38 PM
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
What does he mean by the "picked up my first eye, picked up my second eye" stuff?

I wonder if they make pink sturgeon?

JHAP, eye is fisherman speak for walleye.

They dye spikes for fishing, I've seen red, orange and blue. I've seen dyed baitfish as well. I'll bet you could make a pink one, and nothing says "I love you" any better than something that you've spent a lot of time, money and put a lot of thought into. (well, then there's diamonds, but what can you do with them???)
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Ice fishing supprise catch! - 01/29/10 05:02 PM
Thanks for the "eye" info and \:D for the dye info.
© Pond Boss Forum