Pond Boss
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Stupid, stupid, stupid! - 01/15/10 04:52 PM
Today I was checking out an interesting little hole in the ice off the side of the pier. I was thinking, "Man that's kind of weird it can't go all the way through can it?" I made the mistake of checking it with my boot. Next thing I know the ice caves in and I'm in the water with no one else around!

Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Interestingly the pier was not much help getting out as it's somewhat above the water, and once my jacket and clothes became saturated I became quite heavy. I did have the sense to remember what I had learned in a video (that has been posted here twice) to roll up on ice to the edge of the hole to pull yourself out. Some ice broke off but it worked. However there was a casualty. One of my boots in now fish structure to be retrieved later. \:\( In the picture is the other one I took off as it was full of water and it's hard to make a dash for the house in one boot.

The dog who was on the lease standing on the pier wasn't much help. She just looked at me like, "What in the world are you doing in the water? " (My dog is apparently smarter than me).

Please be careful out there on the ice. I was lucky in that I could run back up to the house and air temps are mild right now. Apparently the diffuser in the water is working on the ice even 20 or 30 feet away and heavy snow piled up against the pier retarded ice formation. On a closer inspecton I have open water under the pier! Geeze Louise no wonder you moron!

BTW things do happen in threes: I ran the battery dead in the wife's car by leaving the lights on, our well pump had to be replaced yesterday and now this. I'm sure glad it's over.
Posted By: ewest Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid! - 01/15/10 04:56 PM
\:o -- \:o -- \:o -- \:o

-- -- \:\(

;\) -- -- \:\)
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid! - 01/15/10 06:06 PM
damn, Cecil!!! Be careful.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid! - 01/15/10 06:45 PM
Very glad you are still with us, Cecil!
Posted By: Sue Cruz Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid! - 01/15/10 07:03 PM
After all that talk about keeping the doggies safe here you go stepping on mushy ice! And how many times have we preached that there is NO safe ice on a pond with aeration!!! I'm so glad you were able to get out safely!!! But you do deserve a lecture!
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid! - 01/15/10 07:10 PM
Been there and done that, in about 3 feet of water. I was able to stand up and walk out of the pond.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid! - 01/15/10 07:45 PM
glad you're OK, CB1. How deep is it in the boot zone?
Posted By: james holt Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid! - 01/15/10 07:56 PM
glad you were ok
Posted By: Omaha Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid! - 01/15/10 08:46 PM
Scary stuff Cecil. Glad you're alright. I fell through when I was a kid and had to walk about 1/2 a mile to get to the house. Not good.
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid! - 01/15/10 09:02 PM
Holy cow, now that's a scary story! Glad you're none the worse for the wear!
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid! - 01/15/10 09:08 PM
Geeze Cecil! Next time, first spend at least a half-hour in the sauna, and don't put your boots on!

We're glad you're alright.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid! - 01/15/10 10:05 PM
Yikes!
Posted By: n8ly Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid! - 01/15/10 10:12 PM
Definitely isnt pleasant going in unexpectedly, about once a year I find a soft spot....
Posted By: the stick Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid! - 01/16/10 12:06 AM
Did you lose your breath when you fell through? Glad you are okay. B-rrrrr!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid! - 01/16/10 01:14 AM
Dude! That's all I have to offer...I am grateful you are not blue and frozen.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid! - 01/16/10 02:22 AM
Thanks for all the concern folks but I can assure you I was getting out one way or the other. It just surprised me and then I felt pretty stupid.

No, didn't lose my breath and the depth is about 8 feet there. But the water was cold! What's weird is I got out so fast my wallet was just damp and nothing in it was wet.

And Sue please no lectures I'm married to a teacher. And before that my dad was a Sergeant! \:o I won't tell him about it as he will give me a lecture!
Posted By: Dwight Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid! - 01/16/10 02:28 AM
 Quote:
I won't tell him about it as he will give me a lecture!
I already called him to get you under control!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid! - 01/16/10 02:32 AM
 Originally Posted By: Dwight
 Quote:
I won't tell him about it as he will give me a lecture!
I already called him to get you under control!

Did I tell you he was drill sergeant in charge of shaping up bad attitude soldiers before he was a Green Beret? I think he called it he goon squad or something like that.

Thanks a lot buddy! \:\(
Posted By: esshup Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid! - 01/16/10 03:41 AM
I promise not to tell him until I see him again.

So, when are we going ice fishing? \:D

Good thing you made it out.

I've had a tip-up on the pond for 2 days now with a 4" GS on the hook swimming around. I suppose I should go get it before it meets the same fate as your boot.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid! - 01/16/10 10:42 AM
If I did that my Wife would hammer me for a month.

OK, Bretski gets to move down to the second place spot in the dumb stunts on ice contest.
Posted By: MarkECIN Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid! - 01/16/10 01:02 PM
Cecil, you are my worst nightmare about having a pond. I worry about my hubby constantly as he and the dog walk around it etc. I choose not to go near the pond in the winter. We just re-strung our dog fence so Jacub cannot get near it now as yesterday hubby caught him trying to walk on it and with a windmill and the water not frozen, not very smart. I have a rule and after reading your mishap--a good one. NO ONE IS ALLOWED ON THE ICE, NO ICE FISHING, NO NOTHING. Guess, I've watched too many moview. Glad you're Ok, Cecil...
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid! - 01/16/10 02:20 PM
I won't lecture or yell at you, you've received enough of that already. I'm very glad you're ok Cecil.

I am however very disappointed at Sunil for not firing you.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid! - 01/16/10 04:55 PM
JHAP, I only fire those who are self-employed when they use their businesses as an excuse to not do something like attending a Pond Boss meeting.

Back in '09, I had your pink slip ready.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid! - 01/16/10 05:05 PM
I tell my wife she's fired all the time. Trouble is I sleep with her so it doesn't make much an impression. She also gives me that, "So what" look.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid! - 01/17/10 02:04 AM
Cecil, it seems you'll do anything to get a little attention. \:D

The wives give us the "so what" look because they pay the bills, and make sure your life insurance policy is paid. ;\)
Posted By: eddie_walker Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid! - 01/17/10 03:53 AM
It only freezes here a few times a year, and to have five days of below freezing temperatures is very rare. At the end of the fifth day, I wanted to see how thick the ice was on my small pond. My big pond was only 80% covered in ice, but my small pond was totally covered over. I could stand on it, but it cracked on me. I went over to the shady side of my dock and tried to walk out. As you can see in the video, I didn't get very far. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbdxg1zq2g0

This was my first time to fall through the ice. After I dried off, I meassued the ice. It was only 1 1/4 inches thick.

Eddie
Posted By: esshup Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid! - 01/17/10 04:23 AM
"Go ahead honey, walk out" Priceless!!!!! \:D \:D
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid! - 01/17/10 05:13 AM
Now Eddy do I have to show you on film how a real man falls through the ice? On second thought never mind.

BTW I would hope the wife would be disinclined to allow me to do it let alone film it but in case she would agree I'd know I'm in deep do do.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid! - 01/17/10 02:13 PM
Picking up the rifle after falling through the ice suggests so many possible endings to the full story.
Posted By: ewest Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid! - 01/17/10 02:32 PM
I hope the boots were waterproof !!! ;\)
Posted By: deaner Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid! - 01/17/10 04:14 PM
Glad in the end everything turned out good. Everyone needs a little water to cleanse the soul, just not that much water. As has been stated it could be much worse. We all would rather hide certain things that we do.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid! - 01/17/10 04:30 PM
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
JHAP, I only fire those who are self-employed when they use their businesses as an excuse to not do something like attending a Pond Boss meeting.

Back in '09, I had your pink slip ready.

\:o \:o \:o
© Pond Boss Forum