Pond Boss
Posted By: Russ Dave Willis (PB article Jan/Feb 2010) - 01/08/10 02:28 AM
Hi Dave -

Just read through your article in the Jan/Feb 2010 issue of PB and had a question. Referring to the last paragraph on pg 22, "...... we then recorded whether the fish was mature or immature based on inspection of the gonads."

Just curious, during your inspection, what is it you are looking for that determines whether a fish is mature or immature.

Thanks

Russ
No No Theo bite your tongue! Don't say it!

Sorry Russ but I was being preemptive. You may have opened yourself up to the silly brigade with that question.

Posted By: Brettski Re: Dave Willis (PB article Jan/Feb 2010) - 01/08/10 02:49 AM
we're waiting
Posted By: Russ Re: Dave Willis (PB article Jan/Feb 2010) - 01/08/10 03:01 AM
Cecil -

I've been around you guys too long to expect nothing less.

Sunil does worry me though.

- Russ
Darn, Russ. You made me go back and look to see what we actually wrote (plus the AL-TX game is on, and I'm trying to find the score for the SDSU-UMKC men's basketball game).

Ok, back on track. We were visually inspecting the gonads to see if they were mature. It's sort of a learned skill. For the ovaries, are the eggs developing. For the testes, the mature males have larger testes, while for the immature males the testes are actually hard to even spot (thin and none of the whitish color). Does that help at all?? We don't want Theo, Cecil or Brettski chomping at the bit. \:\)
Posted By: ewest Re: Dave Willis (PB article Jan/Feb 2010) - 01/08/10 03:38 AM
Thanks Dave. I am glad this thread did not go off course. \:D
That was pure luck, Ewest. I just happened to check in while I had the computer online. \:\)

One more thought for Russ. Even for those "sneaker" and "female mimic" males, their testes are larger and whitish. You can spot that they are mature, compared to the immature males. Honestly, the students are better at this ID than I am. You just have to have enough individual fish observed. The more, the better you get (just like fish aging actually).
 Originally Posted By: Dave Willis
For the testes, the mature males have larger testes, while for the immature males the testes are actually hard to even spot (thin and none of the whitish color). Does that help at all?? We don't want Theo, Cecil or Brettski chomping at the bit. \:\)

And here I thought it was a Camaro vs. Volvo sort of thing.
Posted By: Russ Re: Dave Willis (PB article Jan/Feb 2010) - 01/08/10 02:29 PM
Thanks Dave, for the quick response and the article.

Russ
For heavens sake people, stop all of this smut talk. This is a respectable forum. I'm just peaceably sitting here drinking my morning coffee and perusing my favorite forum. And what do I read? Talk about ovaries and testes??? Clean it up people, clean it up.

And although I normally would not debate Dr. Dave, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that prior to examining said testes you should take into account water temperature and the "shrinkage factor."
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus

And here I thought it was a Camaro vs. Volvo sort of thing.

You just couldn't hold back could you?
Sorry, JHAP. Thanks for the advice. I sure don't want to get banned from the forum, you know. \:\)
Posted By: Russ Re: Dave Willis (PB article Jan/Feb 2010) - 01/08/10 07:00 PM
Given the cast of characters here I fillibustered myself on posting this but curiosity eventually won out.
Sorry, JHAP. Thanks for the advice. I sure don't want to get banned from the forum, you know.

No problemo Dr. Dave, just trying to keep things family oriented.
Posted By: Yolk Sac Re: Dave Willis (PB article Jan/Feb 2010) - 01/08/10 07:23 PM
What could possibly be MORE family oriented than a discussion about gonads?
Posted By: Sunil Re: Dave Willis (PB article Jan/Feb 2010) - 01/08/10 07:38 PM
"Sunil does worry me though." Who, me?

"And here I thought it was a Camaro vs. Volvo sort of thing."
I know you just said that 'cause you know I drive a Volvo.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Dave Willis (PB article Jan/Feb 2010) - 01/08/10 07:41 PM
keep it away from cold water
Posted By: ewest Re: Dave Willis (PB article Jan/Feb 2010) - 01/08/10 07:53 PM
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
keep it away from cold water

I don't know - around here some probably need to keep plenty of cold water at hand.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Dave Willis (PB article Jan/Feb 2010) - 01/08/10 10:02 PM
If Sunil drives a Volvo, it isn't only out of character, it is out of the universe character-wise!
Posted By: JKB Re: Dave Willis (PB article Jan/Feb 2010) - 01/08/10 11:52 PM
 Originally Posted By: ewest
Thanks Dave. I am glad this thread did not go off course. \:D

OOPS!
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
"And here I thought it was a Camaro vs. Volvo sort of thing."
I know you just said that 'cause you know I drive a Volvo.

Originally Posted By: Dwight
If Sunil drives a Volvo, it isn't only out of character, it is out of the universe character-wise!

GOTCHA Little Brother. \:\/ ;\)
Posted By: Sunil Re: Dave Willis (PB article Jan/Feb 2010) - 01/09/10 02:22 AM
I also drive a 1988 BMW M5.

Is that better for you Dwight?

It's the sedan that does 150 MPH.
Posted By: ewest Re: Dave Willis (PB article Jan/Feb 2010) - 01/09/10 02:28 AM
At that speed you could really move some of Dwight's snow drifts.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Dave Willis (PB article Jan/Feb 2010) - 01/09/10 03:18 AM
 Quote:
I also drive a 1988 BMW M5.

Is that better for you Dwight?

It's the sedan that does 150 MPH.

It's not about me
Posted By: Sunil Re: Dave Willis (PB article Jan/Feb 2010) - 01/09/10 03:21 AM
I should have said "does that fit my character better?"
My parents drive a Mercedes SUV. I love to tease them about it complete with a German accent. My mother is German.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Dave Willis (PB article Jan/Feb 2010) - 01/09/10 03:30 AM
 Quote:
I should have said "does that fit my character better?"

Possibly, but it's time for me to go in the house and watch Twin Peaks re-runs.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Dave Willis (PB article Jan/Feb 2010) - 01/09/10 03:37 AM
Let me leave you with a picture of my M5 with my Mule and my Honda Street/Trail:

Posted By: ewest Re: Dave Willis (PB article Jan/Feb 2010) - 01/09/10 03:43 AM
Yes but where are all your talking , posting cats ?
Posted By: Sunil Re: Dave Willis (PB article Jan/Feb 2010) - 01/09/10 03:49 AM
"..cats..."

Never, never.
 Originally Posted By: Yolk Sac
What could possibly be MORE family oriented than a discussion about gonads?

That's difficult logic to argue with.
Posted By: ewest Re: Dave Willis (PB article Jan/Feb 2010) - 01/09/10 02:48 PM
Logic - Logic - did you say logic. \:o -- ;\)

It just evades me.

Humor yes , and much needed I might add. \:\)
Posted By: esshup Re: Dave Willis (PB article Jan/Feb 2010) - 01/09/10 05:08 PM
My buddy just sent me pics of his M3. WHile he hasn't drove it yet, I think he's getting itchy. Without gas in it, it weighs 1995# as you see it.

Posted By: Dwight Re: Dave Willis (PB article Jan/Feb 2010) - 01/09/10 05:36 PM
That is more Sunil's style! I would love to run that on a road course some where!!
As Ewest said back on PAGE 1, glad this thread didn't go off track. \:\) \:\) \:\)
Posted By: esshup Re: Dave Willis (PB article Jan/Feb 2010) - 01/09/10 05:41 PM
That car really isn't made to turn. It's got an extra set of wheels sticking out past the rear bumper, and some laundry. I'll dig up some pics of what's under the hood.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Dave Willis (PB article Jan/Feb 2010) - 01/09/10 05:48 PM
OK, Drag Strip then.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Dave Willis (PB article Jan/Feb 2010) - 01/09/10 05:53 PM
As Ewest said back on PAGE 1, glad this thread didn't go off track.

I can help here...
Speaking of cars with huevos, did anyone check out that article Dave wrote on fish gonads?
Posted By: Dwight Re: Dave Willis (PB article Jan/Feb 2010) - 01/09/10 05:56 PM
Sorry Dave.
Posted By: esshup Re: Dave Willis (PB article Jan/Feb 2010) - 01/09/10 06:19 PM
I asked my buddy what he was shooting for (weight and speed) and here's what he said: I'm thinking it will be around 2200#. I will be happy with a 7.30 et but Harry at precision turbo said if I can keep the head on it 200 mph will be achieved, that in my book is 6.90 or a little better.

He weighed it without fuel and water, here's what the scales said:

It started life as a M3 from Minnesota..... We used to do this for fun as our 2nd job a number of years ago. When I moved to Ca. he bought me out and is still doing it after work. He's the best Tig man that I know.
Posted By: esshup Re: Dave Willis (PB article Jan/Feb 2010) - 01/09/10 10:13 PM
Sounds like you had some fun back then.

When we were building cars, we built mostly back-halved cars for the street and the track. My buddy worked for Romeo Palimedes of jet car fame for a number of years, and then got burned out. He worked for a bank as a maintenance man and started fooling around on the side doing some small jobs. We decided to get some equipment and started doing cars as a side job, and it sorta snowballed. The biggest car that we did together was a Jet Funny Car for Roger Gustin when he was sponsored by Proctor & Gamble. Between the car and turning an empty semi-trailer into a car hauler, the "after hours" job turned into another full time job.

He's using the in-line 6-cyl Bimmer motor as the powerplant, although he's shoving more air thru it with the turbo.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Dave Willis (PB article Jan/Feb 2010) - 01/09/10 10:32 PM
Gonads & Drag Racing.....makes sense.
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Dave Willis (PB article Jan/Feb 2010) - 01/09/10 11:13 PM
Where did this thread start?
Posted By: ewest Re: Dave Willis (PB article Jan/Feb 2010) - 01/09/10 11:18 PM
Good question. Another is where is it going next.
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Dave Willis (PB article Jan/Feb 2010) - 01/09/10 11:35 PM
Hey, what's that green stuff in my pond!
Posted By: esshup Re: Dave Willis (PB article Jan/Feb 2010) - 01/09/10 11:37 PM
Is that like asking what that white stuff is in chicken poop?
 Originally Posted By: esshup
Is that like asking what that white stuff is in chicken poop?

"It's chicken poop, too." \:D
OK, back on topic. i like a little minced garlic and onions in my fish balls.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Dave Willis (PB article Jan/Feb 2010) - 01/10/10 01:02 AM
\:\)
© Pond Boss Forum