Pond Boss
So apparently the big producers of hybrid striped bass only spawn them once a year? At least that is what a poster is telling me on another site. No photoperiod manipulation for multiple cohorts with this high demand fish?
I've been buying hybrid striped bass from the world's largest supplier for ten years now.

They only produce them once/year.
KEO told me they only produce once a year, i believe they said in April. I got mine in Sept. so I am sure lost some growth due to the holdover time.

They may buy a limited quantity from other producers in the general locale which use whites as the female that would be easier to manipulate. Even the stripers are manipulated with hormone injections.
Thanks guys. I guess he's right. Keo is one of the biggest suppliers. It just surprises me they don't attempt to get offspring more than once a year. Some fish farms are doing it with bluegills and yellow perch now. And yes I realize the they are crossing two different species but...

Hey did you guys know at one time the way one got rainbow eggs that hatch in the fall was to get eggs from the southern hemisphere? Of course now they have strains that spawn about every month of the year and that's not necessary.
© Pond Boss Forum