Pond Boss
Posted By: Dave Willis Online auction for lake mower - 09/22/09 02:24 PM
Annamarie Gervais of Jenson Technologies in San Marcos, TX, has graciously offered us a Jenson Lake Mower system for auction. All proceeds would go to the Jesse West Research Endowment. We post this with permission from Bob Lusk.

Here is what we have:

1. Jenson Lake Mower HD5000, retail value: $3,195, to be shipped to winning bidder from Jenson Technologies.
2. Jenson Rake, retail value: $495, to be shipped to winning bidder.
3. Jenson 2-ft shaft extender for Jenson Lake Mowers, retail value: $215, to be shipped to winning bidder.

If you are not familiar with these systems, they are electric powered (12 volt) and use a sickle bar to cut plants. With the 2-ft extender included here, you can cut the plants down to a water depth of 5 feet. Please go to their web site for complete information. http://www.lakemower.com/index.html

Here are some of their specifications: Assembly with the enclosed 1/8" Allen wrench is quick and easy. Quick disconnect allows easy "fold-up" for compact storage or easy transportation.
Special low power consumption, high efficiency motors. Up to 7 hours of operation per charge for the HD5000; 10 hours for the RG2500. Light-weight design: Weighs between 42 and 51 pounds. Robust aluminum and stainless steel construction, for long life. Self-sharpening cutting blades are made of heavy duty specialty steel. Adjustable mounting bracket fits the Lake Mower™ to the side, transom, or front of almost any small boat. Tiller handle with safety on/off switch (height adjustable). Custom bearing blocks, promoting smooth operation. The RG2500 Lake Mower™ easily cuts through submerged weeds such as eurasian milfoil, hydrilla, elodea, and tape grass. For cattails, bulrushes, and dense lily pads we suggest the HD5000 Lake Mower™.

Ms. Gervais would like to see us get at least $2000, so let’s start the bidding for a combined package that includes all three components of this lake mower system at that minimum bid (i.e., starting or minimum bid must be $2,000). Just for the sake of fairness, let’s make this a 1-week auction, ending at 10 a.m., central time, on September 29, 2009.

Anyone interested? Thanks for considering!

Posted By: Rainman Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/22/09 02:32 PM
I'd sure bid on it if I had the cash, could access my pond, and if my pond had any plant life!

It is a heck of a set-up!
Posted By: ewest Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/22/09 03:06 PM
Please consider. This is an option for all with serious plant/nutrient situations and could be offered by pros as a service to clients who don't want the endless chemical spraying cycle. One of the main reasons for plant problems is excess nutrients. Chemical spraying (the common method used) is costly and does not remove the excess nutrients as they are recycled to another form ( example spray pondweed and it dies and is food for the next years crop and for FA). Cutting the plants and raking them out is the option that removes/reduces the excess nutrients. I would think that many owners would like that as an option from their providers.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/22/09 03:09 PM
Is shipping UPS, motor freight or other? Who pays the shipping costs?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/22/09 04:12 PM
 Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Is shipping UPS, motor freight or other? Who pays the shipping costs?

Bill Cody has volunteered to pick it up and deliver it anywhere in the U.S.

Sorry Bill I couldn't help myself. \:\/
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/22/09 04:14 PM
I'll start the bidding at $500.00.
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/22/09 04:17 PM
Jenson Technologies will ship the lake mower system to the winning bidder at no cost to the person receiving it.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/23/09 03:21 PM

Dave, mods, maybe we need to copy and paste a picture of this thing to generate more interest?

I've seen this thing and it's slicker than a whistle when it comes to whacking down weeds in a pond. You can adjust the cutting depth too.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/23/09 03:26 PM
That's pretty selfless, Cecil. Good idea.

http://www.lakemower.com/

Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/23/09 03:43 PM
Hey, everyone, I've had private communications with two of the most influential [really! \:\) ] folks on this forum. Both were concerned that this is a LOT of money, especially in the current economic times. Certainly they are right. However, when a donor wants something done, then I need to follow his or her wishes. I guess that I was just hoping that we might find someone who wanted this tool, may even have been thinking about buying one, and would have been glad to get it for almost half price. If not, we certainly understand. As always, all thoughts and help are greatly appreciated.

Just wanted to get that off my chest!! \:\)

Posted By: Brettski Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/23/09 04:19 PM
Doc Dave...I gotta agree with your influential advisors. It is a big nut for many (most?) of us. Cecil, as always, is a good guy for jumping in knowing full well that he risks a custom fitted frying pan hat.
-
Is there any way that we could broaden the horizons of the pool of potential bidders? Are there other related forums or on-line collections of folks that would be interested in a great deal on this type item? Anybody got any thoughts/ideas?
Posted By: Sunil Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/23/09 05:13 PM
Tractor By Net

or

Texas Fishing Forum?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/23/09 06:43 PM
I wouldn't bother with the Texas Fishing forum. Those guys are 99% lake fishermen.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/23/09 06:53 PM
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
Cecil, as always, is a good guy for jumping in knowing full well that he risks a custom fitted frying pan hat.

\:D \:D \:D
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/23/09 07:19 PM
Maybe some Aquaculture Bulletin Boards?
Posted By: ewest Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/23/09 07:23 PM
AFS web site but I don't know how to do that.
Posted By: Big Don Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/23/09 08:30 PM
600.00 Bid from the Redtail Ranch in Argyle Texas.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/23/09 10:53 PM
If I have permission I can list it on the North Central Aquaculture and Yellow Perch Forum List serve.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/24/09 12:47 AM
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
Cecil, as always, is a good guy for jumping in knowing full well that he risks a custom fitted frying pan hat.

I should have a flat head by now!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/24/09 12:48 AM
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
If I have permission I can list it on the North Central Aquaculture and Yellow Perch Forum List serve.

I didn't hear anything so I already did.

Someone's going to kick themselves in the future when some submergent aquatic weeds get out of control, and they realize they could have gotten this thing below retail price!
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/24/09 12:51 PM
Thanks, Cecil.
Posted By: hang_loose Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/24/09 11:17 PM
I'll bump it up to $700.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/25/09 01:55 AM
$800.00
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/25/09 01:58 AM
 Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
$800.00

Bill that would be a very nice addition to your homemade square boat!
Posted By: hang_loose Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/25/09 10:50 PM
My wife doesn't know about this bid yet...$900.00
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/26/09 01:22 PM
Just a thought with folks strapped for cash in this economy... Would anyone be able to afford a higher bid if they could make a down payment and then installments? Of course the item would not be shipped until the balance is paid.
Posted By: JDK Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/27/09 09:54 PM
OK. I know a summer camp in Wisconsin that could use this device. If the reserve is really $2,000, then I'll bite the bullet and bid that amount. At least I'll be able to take the tax deduction.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/27/09 10:03 PM
Way to go JDK!!!!! A double donation! Extremely generous, useful, and thoughtful!
Posted By: ewest Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/27/09 10:36 PM
Way to go JDK. Very generous of you. The camp may be able to rent out the mower to others to raise a few $.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/28/09 12:50 AM
 Originally Posted By: JDK
OK. I know a summer camp in Wisconsin that could use this device. If the reserve is really $2,000, then I'll bite the bullet and bid that amount. At least I'll be able to take the tax deduction.

Good deal JDK. Is this the same JDK on the Aquanic site? If so please stick around and share your knowledge. I know I appreciate it on the Aquanic site.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/28/09 01:15 AM
A big WELCOME TO POND BOSS, JDK!!!
Posted By: JDK Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/28/09 04:24 AM
Nope. Not the same person.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/28/09 04:30 AM

Congrats, JDK! Welcome to the forum, and please accept our appreciation for your support of such a great cause. \:\)
Posted By: hang_loose Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/28/09 04:53 AM
JDK,Congrats. No way I can top that bid but I wouldn't want to after I saw what what you're doing with it. I worked summer camps all through high school and first two years of college. You're not going to believe how much of a difference it will make to kids swimming, fishing and boating in that pond(or lake).

Again congrats.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/28/09 03:03 PM
 Originally Posted By: JDK

Very generous and tax minded. Sir I like the way you think!

Welcome to Pond Boss, we're glad you found us!
Posted By: Brettski Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/29/09 02:05 AM
JDK lays out the most potent first post in PB history. Yeow...greased lightening!
Nice work...and...welcome.
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/29/09 03:02 PM
I can now declare this online auction closed. JDK, you are the "winner" and you already see how much appreciation the Forum group has for you!

I will contact JDK via PM and work out the details on the lake mower.

Meanwhile, a huge thanks goes out to the Forum Family. It looks like our fund-raising effort this year (Lusk weight loss, silent auction at Big Cedar, and now the lake mower) will result in donations that surpass $13K! So, everyone please give yourselves and each other a big pat on the back. During these tough economic times, everyone has been extremely generous. I'll get a complete report out later, but thought you'd all like to hear the good news.
Posted By: JDK Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/29/09 03:55 PM
Great!

I'll see that it goes to good use. I have between now and Spring to cajole some of our camp's alumni to donate a square stern jon boat, a trolling motor and a couple of deep cycle batteries. My funds are tapped out!

John

http://campgrow.org/
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/29/09 04:32 PM
Again, John, our thanks!

Forum folks: note that John included a link for Camp Grow. That is where we are sending the mower, as his large donation to the Jesse West endowment will result in the lake mower system going directly to the camp. Another tale fitting for the Pond Boss Forum and all the connections we have created.
Posted By: sierra5069 Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/29/09 11:48 PM
I would like to bid if not too late, just came across your site
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/30/09 12:28 AM
I'm sorry, Sierra. We set up the auction for a 1-week period, with a defined ending time (which was today at 10:00 a.m.). We did sell the system this morning. Thanks very much for your interest. We appreciate it.
Posted By: hang_loose Re: Online auction for lake mower - 09/30/09 12:49 AM
Anyway, welcome to Pond Boss sierra5069!!! Please hand around. Lots and lots of very useful information on this site!!!
© Pond Boss Forum