Pond Boss
Posted By: bbjr Late Spawn 2009? - 06/10/09 02:37 AM
I started this thread after reading that a few others in the midwest and further north, were having late or no spawning activity. It seems to be this was in my pond, also. My perch are over 10", but I did not see any egg strands this spring. Today, however, I noticed a strand of eggs that looked like they were perch eggs. Is it possible for them to be spawning this late? I also noticed two smallmouth guarding beds over the past week. How are everyone else's fish doing this spring?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Late Spawn 2009? - 06/10/09 03:57 AM
I seriously doubt your perch would be spawning this late, but of course I'm a big believer in never say never.

I'm not seeing an spawning activity of my male bluegills but last year they spawned deep where I couldn't see them. That may be the case again this year. They seem to have abandoned the shallow nests.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Late Spawn 2009? - 06/10/09 12:46 PM
Chris, could you get a picture of the alleged perch egg strands? If not, do they look like soaking wet toilet paper?
Posted By: Tom F Re: Late Spawn 2009? - 06/10/09 03:09 PM
I saw a few LMB spawning about three weeks ago. Have yet to see any BG. My water temps at 3' has just now reached 74 degrees.
Posted By: Brett295 Re: Late Spawn 2009? - 06/10/09 05:39 PM
I haven't seen any fry this year. I'm starting to get a little worried. It makes me feel a little better to know that other people are having delayed spawns this year.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Late Spawn 2009? - 06/10/09 06:11 PM
My BG/RES are finally interested in being on their spawning beds. Problem is, not all the LMB are ready to leave them. Last night I saw a big RES staring down 4 LMB over possession of a depression in the mud 3 feet from shore.
Posted By: bbjr Re: Late Spawn 2009? - 06/11/09 11:20 AM
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
Chris, could you get a picture of the alleged perch egg strands? If not, do they look like soaking wet toilet paper?

They looked like wet toilet paper, only in thinner strands. There were about 3, two foot long strands, entangled with each other. I will see if I can snap a pic later today.
© Pond Boss Forum