Pond Boss
Posted By: david u Rain in Montague County! - 04/29/09 11:36 PM
Somewhere between 8 and 10 inches of rain fell today over my mud hole of a pond. Anyone have any idea how much it will rise with a 100 acre watershed. It was dug two years ago and has never been over one half full as of last June when it had about 12 feet of water in it. It has since dropped 7 feet due to the drought. If it ever fills up there should be about 5 acres of water. It will be a day or two until I get up there. Any bets how much it came up. Here's a picture of when it was half full...du

Posted By: Chris Steelman Re: Rain in Montague County! - 04/30/09 12:05 AM
If it is not full I would be really surprised.
Posted By: esshup Re: Rain in Montague County! - 04/30/09 12:37 AM
I'll bet the the emergency spillway is working overtime!
Posted By: david u Re: Rain in Montague County! - 04/30/09 01:19 AM
Well you all, my neighbor just called me from my pond dam. The water is running over the spillway. My pontoon boat, which was sitting on the pond's mud bottom and the floating boat dock that I built last summer have both floated off to some part of the pond. Hallelujah!!!!!
Posted By: james holt Re: Rain in Montague County! - 04/30/09 01:36 AM
david post some before and after pictures.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Rain in Montague County! - 04/30/09 01:44 AM
Hokey Smokes...it is done! That is really great news, David. I'm dyin' to see the pics. Big high five, Pondmeister.
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Rain in Montague County! - 04/30/09 01:55 AM
Same story in northern Grayson County. More water than I have ever seen at LL,2. Amazing. Water running everwhere. A local half acre pond, down six feet, was full and running over in two hours. I bet we had 5 inches in two hours and then a total over 9, maybe 10 inches since 11:30 this morning. Still raining. Like a freight train of clouds, all day. Now, I'll actually get to see how fish move...(tongue in cheek, of course.)
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Rain in Montague County! - 04/30/09 02:14 AM
That does it. I'm going tomorrow.
Posted By: Mike Holliday Re: Rain in Montague County! - 04/30/09 02:33 AM
DD1, give up a report, I can't go until Sunday

david u, where are you located? I'm directly south of Lake Nocona
Posted By: david u Re: Rain in Montague County! - 04/30/09 02:39 AM
I'm with you Dave. Funny, I have considered drilling a well to pump water into the pond, since this pond didn't seem like it would ever fill up(in my lifetime). But after doing the math, decided even with it running 24/7, it wouldn't fill it up even after a year. But Mother Nature-Devine intervention filled it with what I have guessed to be over 13 Million gallons of water in less than 12 hours! I'm just amazed..may not sleep a wink tonite... This ranks right up there with getting into vet school, getting married, having a child..is this wierd or what...du
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Rain in Montague County! - 04/30/09 10:20 AM
On the radar, it looks like more, a lot more, came overnight and is still at it this morning. Lusk told me last night that Otto was stranded. HWY 82 is shut down and it appears that Mike got even more than Bob did.

BTW, I got 3/10 here in Hurst.
Posted By: jeffreythree Re: Rain in Montague County! - 04/30/09 10:55 AM
I think everyone got quite a bit of rain across northeast Texas. Another inch fell here at my house last night. Problem is about 1.5" fell yesterday and last night out at my pond and it was already full, and that makes the monthly total over 5". A neighbor was building a new pond down stream from ours. I hope he did not leave his dozer parked in the bottom like he has been.
Posted By: david u Re: Rain in Montague County! - 04/30/09 12:00 PM
This is the total precipitation for Montague, Cooke County area last night & this morning

Posted By: eddie_walker Re: Rain in Montague County! - 04/30/09 12:23 PM
That's just amazing. I haven't seen any pictures yet, but have just heard about the areas with over 15 inches of rain! It looks like a pretty big area that got over ten inches and a massive area with 6 inches or more. All that water wont have anywhere to go for some time. That's just frightening!!!

Eddie
Posted By: Chris Steelman Re: Rain in Montague County! - 04/30/09 01:34 PM
Looks like I got at least 2.5" of rain at my place with a saturated watershed. I bet my pond has come up 1-2'.

Posted By: Chuck Fikes Re: Rain in Montague County! - 04/30/09 04:21 PM
The report I got this morning is the big pond up by Lusk, some call it Lake Texoma, will rise 1-2'. For those that don't know that is 89,000 acres of lake.

Just a side, one of my employees that lives in Gainesville is trying to dry out his house this morning instead of comming to work. I guess that is a good excuss but a bad way to spend a day.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Rain in Montague County! - 04/30/09 04:35 PM
Wow, that is a lot of rain! If that happened here, our whole place would be washed away. \:\(

Hopefully it is helping the areas with drought.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Rain in Montague County! - 05/01/09 10:51 AM
I got 3.85 inches. Lusk told me yesterday that Sherman Wyman got 15 inches and blew out the dam on his 6 acre lake.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Rain in Montague County! - 05/01/09 12:57 PM
Ouch!
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Rain in Montague County! - 05/01/09 01:36 PM
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
Ouch!

I ask again, male or female? \:\) that always cracks me up. for newbies, that is one of Theo's obsessions.

Posted By: chadwickz71 Re: Rain in Montague County! - 05/01/09 02:56 PM
Im actually really glad we didn't get that rain you guys got here in Ennis. Last time we got 10" of ran the water went over the DAM of or 30 acre lake. It was running out of its spillway about 40 yards across and 8ft deep.

Anyways, someone up above must have been keeping the dam from breaking because in some places it was running over 10" deep. What is usually a 30 acre breaming full lake was now almost 40 acres when the water started pouring over the dam.

It was pretty scary to see it.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Rain in Montague County! - 05/01/09 03:40 PM
 Originally Posted By: burgermeister
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
Ouch!

I ask again, male or female? \:\) that always cracks me up. for newbies, that is one of Theo's obsessions.

Female.
Posted By: david u Re: Rain in Montague County! - 05/01/09 06:27 PM
Here are the before and after pics of my 3 days ago almost dry pond. I actually haven't taken any recent photos of the pond going dry(too depressed), but have a pic to illustrate what it looked like on 4-28-2009.

The following pics show the pond yesterday, 4-29-2009 after the rain

I figured this pond to hold over 13 million gallons of water(5 surface acres x 8' average) the depth at the dam is 18 - 22' deep. it took less than 10 hours to essentially fill it up...du
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Rain in Montague County! - 05/01/09 06:37 PM
David, how many inches did you get?
Posted By: david u Re: Rain in Montague County! - 05/01/09 06:39 PM

DD1, somewhere btween 12" - 15" in less than 15 hours
Posted By: Brettski Re: Rain in Montague County! - 05/01/09 06:40 PM
Man, does that ever look nice.
david u; proud Papa!
Posted By: ewest Re: Rain in Montague County! - 05/01/09 07:47 PM
What a difference a day makes ! Time to stock some fish.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Rain in Montague County! - 05/01/09 08:00 PM
Sunil would have been out in the middle of the rain putting in some Fatheads.
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Rain in Montague County! - 05/01/09 08:32 PM
DD1, glad you finally got a good rain....
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Rain in Montague County! - 05/01/09 11:12 PM
That looks fantastic david u, congrats on that.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Rain in Montague County! - 05/01/09 11:23 PM
I'd be helping Sunil stock the FH!

Looks GREAT David!!!!
Posted By: david u Re: Rain in Montague County! - 05/02/09 12:09 AM
This is a little off thread, but several of you have mentioned stocking.. There's been water in this pond for 2 years, but never more than 1/2 full. The water today is actually not as muddy as I anticipated from all the run-off. I put a few 2-3" CNBG & RES with FHM in it last year, but have no idea if any survived. The $5 question: go ahead and stock it now with CNBG, RES, FHM, LMB, HSB, maybe a few TFS even though this is "new" water???? du
Posted By: Mike Holliday Re: Rain in Montague County! - 05/02/09 02:47 AM
FULL POOL! for another Montague county wannabe. Otto dug out my pond last May (2008) had 3" of rain during the last 12 months since the excavation. Time to resurrect the stocking plan.

David U, thanks for the heads up. The rain seemed to miss my place the last several times we had a decent storm, so I probably would have discounted us receiving any decent amount if you had not posted.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Rain in Montague County! - 05/02/09 03:16 AM
new water can be the BEST water!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Rain in Montague County! - 05/02/09 09:52 AM
According to the Weather Guys, more may be coming tonight and tomorrow.
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Rain in Montague County! - 05/02/09 05:13 PM
wow, we got 2.25 inches overnight. pond is filling back up \:\)

a good hard rain is pretty rare this time of year, feels like the east coast outside (thick warm and humid).
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Rain in Montague County! - 05/02/09 05:17 PM
YAHOO Died! That should get the creeks flowing.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Rain in Montague County! - 05/03/09 05:24 AM
Someone must have done one hell of a rain dance! \:o

I'm glad for you guys that needed the rain. Sorry about Wyman's dam blow out. \:\(
Posted By: ewest Re: Rain in Montague County! - 05/03/09 01:20 PM
david u what exactly did you put in , what size and when ? How low did the water get ? I would want to assess the current status before I stocked on top of what is there. For example for each pair of BG you put in last spring you could easily have thousands of nearing adult offspring. FHs same thing but not as many per pair.
Posted By: david u Re: Rain in Montague County! - 05/03/09 07:42 PM
Hi ewest. I put 2" size : 800 CNBG and 200 RES and 10# FHM on 3-28-2008. During Sept-Oct on several occasions I tried to catch some with no luck. I seined the bank with a 20' seine and after several attempts caught 3-4 CNBG. I bought a few traps and baited them and caught maybe 10-15 CNBG. I interpreted this as meaning there was a low rate of survival and reproduction. There were no morts on release, some herons, and very muddy water.
Posted By: ewest Re: Rain in Montague County! - 05/03/09 11:16 PM
Did you see lots of small fish before the rain or just a few ? Sounds like you could use some more fish.
Posted By: RB Blackshear Re: Rain in Montague County! - 05/03/09 11:21 PM
Congrats on the rain. Thats amazing how fast it can fill up from a good pouring.
Posted By: james holt Re: Rain in Montague County! - 05/04/09 01:36 AM
Eric I love more fish on top of more fish!
Posted By: ewest Re: Rain in Montague County! - 05/04/09 01:40 AM
Yep but you know what is there and what to add.
Posted By: james holt Re: Rain in Montague County! - 05/04/09 02:07 AM
David don't listen to me listen to Eric I have probably created an unsustainable situation.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Rain in Montague County! - 05/04/09 10:20 AM
David, James is a stockaholic that refuses to attend meetings. Somehow, it keeps working out for him and he has created a beautiful fishery.

If you do nothing, the CNBG's will reproduce and fill the pond. However, it will take time. It sounds like you could use some more and I would restock. Chad Fikes works for Lusk and isn't that far away. When your water clears, you might contact the PB office to reload. I would trust Chad more than I would the fish truck.
© Pond Boss Forum