Pond Boss
Posted By: BoilerUp New Dock Construction Questions - 01/12/09 02:34 AM
Our pond is starting to fill to the point where we need to make decisions on what type of dock we are going to construct. We will be doing all of the work, other than digging the holes. Is there a good resource for ideas/prints for wooden and or concrete docks? Thanks.

New to the forum and look forward to the info/help on here!
Posted By: Captain1 Re: New Dock Construction Questions - 01/12/09 02:54 AM
Here is a string from a floating dock that I built. It has a link to a site that has instructions. http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=106705&fpart=1
Posted By: Brettski Re: New Dock Construction Questions - 01/12/09 03:32 PM
BoilerUp....welcome to the Pond Boss forum! Good to have another midwesterner on board!

my dock journey
Posted By: Kevin H. Re: New Dock Construction Questions - 01/12/09 04:20 PM
Welcome Boiler! I built a floating dock this past summer, holds 16-20 kids safely, (I only know cuz we tried to tip it over at our hog roast this year, to no avail), and it cost me less than 80 bucks to construct it. If interested in a non-permanent design, let me know, I can post some pics for you. (built with 55 gal. drums)
Posted By: edinbowen Re: New Dock Construction Questions - 01/12/09 05:07 PM
Kevin, I speak for others - we're interested! please post pics, plans, material list, etc. thanks
Posted By: MarkECIN Re: New Dock Construction Questions - 01/12/09 05:54 PM
We, too, kicked around wood inplace dock vs floating dock until it was almost too late. We finally went with the wooden dock and have no regrets, however, we took precautions to make sure the lumber was right size/type for submerged in water and concreted). I will post picture later today for you to see--it is a simple dock 8' x 16' with railings.
Posted By: MarkECIN Re: New Dock Construction Questions - 01/12/09 11:33 PM
Hope these pics give you some idea of what the carpenter built for us from a simple drawing I gave him. I hang my feeder from it and have a bench to sit on. It was done latter part of 2006; our pond filled up very quickly after it was constructed. I got quotes from $1,500 to $3,000 so if you can do the work yourself it would be a lot cheaper. \:\)
Posted By: Kevin H. Re: New Dock Construction Questions - 01/13/09 01:08 AM
Here is my floating dock/dare I say barge in progress?

Posted By: Kevin H. Re: New Dock Construction Questions - 01/13/09 01:19 AM
nope didn't work, hang on.
Posted By: Kevin H. Re: New Dock Construction Questions - 01/13/09 01:24 AM

Posted By: Kevin H. Re: New Dock Construction Questions - 01/13/09 01:38 AM
Framed with treated 2x6's($76.00), whatever dimensions of barrels were, stainless steel screws($4.00/box). Screwed barrels into framing at top of barrel(no water), decking came from a demo job I helped neighbor with(free, turned upside down, brand new surface on unused side. $80.00 total, less sweat. To hide the barrels, in the spring I plan to cover with more decking (vertically). Easy peasy japaneasy.? I never write anything down, so I can't tell you what the dimensions of barrels or framing, and I ain't going down to the pond in this blizzard, but I can tell you that barrels are free, at most big car washes!!! P.S. You could probably get away with less barrels than I used!
Posted By: Blaine Re: New Dock Construction Questions - 01/13/09 02:39 AM
Welcome fellow Boilermaker! I like the fixed wooden dock. This is my one of a kind. Definitely easier to build before the water but can be done after full pool. Where in Indiana do you live?

Posted By: BoilerUp Re: New Dock Construction Questions - 01/13/09 03:38 AM
Thanks for the info and great pics. I plan on going with the fixed, permanent style dock. Blaine, I like the layout of your dock pictured. I was thinking of a "T" shape design using 8" or 10" cardboard cores and filling with quickrete as the posts.
Blaine, where did you get the electric poles? By the way, I live in Southeast Indiana (Dearborn Co.) Your pond looks familiar...I used to deliver fish though, so a lot of ponds look familiar to me!!

Thanks
Posted By: Blaine Re: New Dock Construction Questions - 01/13/09 04:19 PM
BoilerUp,

I live in NE Hamilton county. My initial stocking was done by Matt Rayl of American Pond & Lake Mgmt in 2006. Suplimental stocking done by Jones in 2007.

The utility company was replacing the poles along a nearby road for bigger poles. The ones coming out were in great shape and I asked the foreman if I could have a few. He was happy to give me all that I wanted so that he didn't have to haul them away. I got a bunch of heavyduty hardware that was being discarded as well. I couldn't believe the waste, nor my good fortune and timing. I have looked for used poles since and been successful in locating them here and there.

I first considered the "T" shape as well but ended up choosing the solid "Y" shape because I could eliminate two poles and maybe fit some chairs and a small table for a few people. Required a custom made steel angle bracket for mid support. After much deliberation I decided against setting the poles in concrete. I drilled a 15" X 5' hole and packed them in. 3.5 years later, still solid as can be.

Is your water line up to your farthest reach of your future dock yet?
Posted By: Blaine Re: New Dock Construction Questions - 01/13/09 04:32 PM
Here is a picture shortly after completion. Dock height at the end is approx. 12' from bed of pond. Most important... Know your EXACT full pool water line before setting the dock height. Then double check it. I could go into details as to why I say that but just trust me. The picture below was taken before I had to raise the deck by 18".

Posted By: 2catmom Re: New Dock Construction Questions - 01/13/09 08:58 PM
Welcome BoilerUp!
I can't help you with your questions, but as you can see there are many people here who can, and love to help others. You have hit the jackpot by finding this site. Check out the podcast, and the magazine, and they even have books that can help.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: New Dock Construction Questions - 01/13/09 09:45 PM
 Originally Posted By: Blaine
Most important... Know your EXACT full pool water line before setting the dock height. Then double check it. I could go into details as to why I say that but just trust me.

When possible, I like to set the posts before the pond fills and then put on the stringers and the deck AFTER the pond is full.

Nice, thick ice is good for working on to get the deep water ends of those stringers in place, too.
Posted By: BoilerUp Re: New Dock Construction Questions - 01/14/09 12:01 AM
Blaine, I used to work for Jones...in 07 in fact, so maybe I did the supplemental stocking. The water hasn't reached the furthest post location yet, but soon will if we get much precip. Good advice on the ice and setting the joists. water line is known to the nearest .01" with our laser so that shouldn't be a problem. What I am wrestling with is how close to waterline to set the joists. We have a relatively small watershed and dry summers like the last two will most likely leave the presence of a "high dive" off the decking to the water!
Posted By: RobA Re: New Dock Construction Questions - 01/14/09 12:15 AM
Can someone resize the pictures in this post?
Posted By: Blaine Re: New Dock Construction Questions - 01/14/09 03:48 AM
Boilerup,

One thing to think of when you set the joist height. When you sit on the edge with your feet dangling... Do you want your feet to be in the water or above (shoes may be on or off, water may be warm or cold).

I remember that it was COLD the day Jones was here so there wasn't much visiting. If it was you, you released right off of the dock late afternoon (BG & FHM).

Better start on setting those posts. I suspect that it will be too late come Spring. Yes it is cold but still much less of a hassle than setting posts under water. Good luck to you.
Posted By: Kevin H. Re: New Dock Construction Questions - 01/14/09 05:18 AM
Blaine,

Very nice deck! Great view off dock too! Man, I wish I could see a zip-line in them trees though! Kidding of course, good job. Also, very nice 'find' on them posts! \:\)
Posted By: Brettski Re: New Dock Construction Questions - 01/14/09 12:00 PM
a couple of archive links
Big Ragu's "Building a Pier" thread
MarkBass's "Using Footers or sinking posts" thread
Posted By: cliffbrook Re: New Dock Construction Questions - 01/14/09 09:36 PM
floating dock hardware that i tried is from mercomarine.com

there is a reason they have 2 sections mounted perpendicular, as i was bucked off in November
Posted By: Captain1 Re: New Dock Construction Questions - 01/14/09 10:41 PM
Here are photos of our fixed, floating combo dock.

Posted By: Weissguy Re: New Dock Construction Questions - 01/14/09 11:56 PM
Nice looking dock Captain1!
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: New Dock Construction Questions - 01/15/09 02:44 PM
A dock is a project for us in 2009 or 2010. We'd have to build a floating dock because the water level changes 5-7 verticle feet in our pond on an annual basis. Great docks guys, that gives me some inspiration.
Posted By: Rainman Re: New Dock Construction Questions - 01/15/09 02:48 PM
When I can legally get to my pond again, I want to build a floating dock like your beauty! My pond is clay lined so I can't drive any posts below the water line.
Posted By: david u Re: New Dock Construction Questions - 01/15/09 04:50 PM
Boilerup..There are a lot of good links on this site for dock ideas. One thing to keep in mind is how much you think your water level is going to change during the year. Especially during the summer when you may want to use it the most. If your pond's level will vary by more than 4-6', then a fixed pier & a floating dock maybe the ticket. There are some pictures here of sadly low pond levels with a pier setting some 10-12' above water level, essentially making the pier unusable until it fills back up..du
Posted By: Ryan Freeze Re: New Dock Construction Questions - 01/15/09 05:17 PM
Mines a very simple design but requires welding. 4'x16' It's very low profile, only 4 1/2" high including frame and decking. Posts are adjustable if needed. Very few cuts to make for construction and was very easy to install even when pond was full.

Material:
1 EA. 4"x4"x1/4"-40' length of Steel Angle
2 EA. 3"o.d.x1/4" steel pipe (length determined by height of dock)
2 EA. 3"i.d.x1/4" 3" long pieces of pipe
2 EA. 1'x1'-1/4" square steel plates (bottom of posts)
2 EA. 2-3' lengths of 3/4" rebar (bottom of plate on post)
9 EA. 4"x4"-4' treated pine (joists)
8 EA. 5/4"x6"-16' Deck boards
4 EA. 3/4"x1" bolts with nuts (post bolts)
2 EA. 1/2" J bolts or other concrete anchor bolts (bank pier anchors)
Decking screws
Sonotubes and concrete for piers at the bank
Paint

© Pond Boss Forum