Pond Boss
Posted By: Bob Lusk Pond Boss regional meeting January 17 - 01/05/09 04:07 AM
Been conversing with Young Blood, aka Chris Steelman. He is planning a little get together Jan 17 at his farm outside Paris, Texas. I asked him if we could turn it into a Pond Boss regional meeting. He's in! George is coming as is FRPeeps. Pond Boss will spring for some food...unless you guys want to do like good Baptists and bring a covered dish for a dinner on the grounds.
I'll be there, ready to hold court with young Mr. Steelman and the patriarch of ponds, George.
Who's in?
Everyone is welcome.You can bring your atv's and we can drive around the property to look at everything.

I will send everybody interested in joining us a PM with directions.
I would love to try to make it out. We can talk about our trappin' adventures!! \:\)
I would like to try and make it out, sounds like fun! No ATV, though :(.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Pond Boss regional meeting January 17 - 01/05/09 03:00 PM
Vicariously only for me. \:\(
Posted By: davatsa Re: Pond Boss regional meeting January 17 - 01/05/09 04:03 PM
Man, what a great idea. I'm not sure if I can make it yet, but I'd love to be there. Bob/Chris, when do y'all need a final head count?

P.S.- Being Baptist, I can vouch for the pot-luck gatherings. Just don't try any of Merle Cass's tater salad.
Posted By: james holt Re: Pond Boss regional meeting January 17 - 01/05/09 05:38 PM
I will plan to be there.
 Originally Posted By: davatsa
Bob/Chris, when do y'all need a final head count?

I asked my mom to cook a brisket for the meal and told her I would let her know how many people are coming by next monday. I could push that back a couple of days but I would like to give her at least thursday and friday to get it ready.
I'll try to make it.
Posted By: ewest Re: Pond Boss regional meeting January 17 - 01/06/09 01:01 AM
What is the plan for the meeting ? Just Sat.
We are going to look at FRpeeps pond, my pond, eat, and have some discussons I guess. My dad wants to dig some mini ponds for the wildlife. We also need to make my pond deeper. If anybody would like to learn how to run heavy equipment we can do that.
Not sure if I can make it, the new year is starting out strong and I have some making up to do for taking off a few days for the Holidays.

Chris,

Have you posted pics of your or land? How many acres do you have and what's there to see?

Eddie
Here are a bunch of pictures.

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=81553&fpart=1
Posted By: Sunil Re: Pond Boss regional meeting January 17 - 01/06/09 01:53 PM
Brisket ships well via UPS or FedEx.
Posted By: TOM G Re: Pond Boss regional meeting January 17 - 01/06/09 08:56 PM
 Originally Posted By: Sunil

What a food suck-up.I think Ill send you some pinch-loaf,what did you say your address was?

Chris,send me a PM,i cant promise but i,ll try to come too.Sounds like a great time.

The first two times I read that, it said "Brettski ships well via UPS or FedEx." \:o
 Originally Posted By: Chris Steelman

Chris,

Thanks for the link. I've got everybody confused on who has a pond, who'd building a pond and who's fixing a pond. I enjoyed reading the link and seeing that you closed on the land next to yours. That's amazing!! Congrats.

Eddie
Posted By: Brettski Re: Pond Boss regional meeting January 17 - 01/06/09 10:06 PM
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus

The first two times I read that, it said "Brettski ships well via UPS or FedEx." \:o

...be careful; I have Tom G's pinch loaf recipe
Posted By: george1 Re: Pond Boss regional meeting January 17 - 01/07/09 06:01 PM
 Originally Posted By: Bob Lusk
Been conversing with Young Blood, aka Chris Steelman. He is planning a little get together Jan 17 at his farm outside Paris, Texas. I asked him if we could turn it into a Pond Boss regional meeting. He's in! George is coming as is FRPeeps. Pond Boss will spring for some food...unless you guys want to do like good Baptists and bring a covered dish for a dinner on the grounds.
I'll be there, ready to hold court with young Mr. Steelman and the patriarch of ponds, George.
Who's in?
Bob, since this is a Regional PB meeting and not a consultation, in all fairness and "fair and balanced", should our other regional fisheries biologists be invited?
George
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Pond Boss regional meeting January 17 - 01/07/09 10:53 PM
When I wrote the invitation I didn't exclude anyone. I would cherish a lively exchange with anyone biological. Sure, we can be the Fox News of pond management.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Pond Boss regional meeting January 17 - 01/07/09 11:11 PM
Looks like I can't make this one, guys. I was looking forward to it.

Please take lots of pics and fill us in on how it goes. Hide the coolers if DD1 shows up.
I'm out too. Got worked lined up and clients are getting anxious for me to do it for them. I enjoyed the holidays, but now it's time to make some money and pay those taxes!!!

Eddie
Posted By: george1 Re: Pond Boss regional meeting January 17 - 01/08/09 12:44 AM
Guess I “jumped the gun” by injecting “fisheries biologists” topic for the upcoming Pond Boss regional meeting, when the original idea was a get-to-gether between neighbors.
Are we going to a have a program or just hang out and talk about ponds?
That would be fine with me but this idea stared by FRPeeps asking about stocking his new pond.

I have an academic interest in building ponds, but my primary interest is addressing Frank’s questions regarding stocking new ponds, or in my case, re-stocking problem ponds.

Originally Posted By: FRPeeps
I have been a part time reader of the Pond Boss forums for quite some time which I have really enjoyed, but this will be my first post. I appologize in advance if this question has been previously discussed.
I have recently completed construction on my new 5.6 acre pond in N.E. Texas. I had intended to stock baitfish in October but construction delays have caused me to miss the fall stocking for 08. Would it be unreasonable to stock CNB, FHM, RES, Threadfin Shad, and possibly a few Tilapia this spring and allow them to grow unmolested by predators for a full year (other than the Tilapia), stocking primarily LMB, with low numbers of CC, and HSB in early summer of 2010? I really want the baitfish to have a strong start before adding the predators, but would like to know of any disadvantages to this strategy. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

What time would everybody like to start?

We could start at 12 so that ya'll don't have to get up so early. Have lunch when everyone gets there and then go look at the ponds.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Pond Boss regional meeting January 17 - 01/08/09 11:17 AM
You might need to produce some napping facilities if you eat lunch first.
Posted By: FRPeeps Re: Pond Boss regional meeting January 17 - 01/08/09 07:42 PM
I'm looking forward to the meeting everyone. I'll throw some ribs on the smoker to go along with Chris's Moms brisket.
Posted By: george1 Re: Pond Boss regional meeting January 17 - 01/08/09 09:16 PM
 Originally Posted By: Bob Lusk
When I wrote the invitation I didn't exclude anyone. I would cherish a lively exchange with anyone biological. Sure, we can be the Fox News of pond management.

Bob, if you would invite, coerce, or beg Bob Waldrop to attend the Regional PB meeting, I will do the same with Todd Overton.
I would pay good money to just sit back and listen to you guys discuss stocking phylosohy, genetics, etc.

This would be three of the very BEST AGGIE fishery bilogists that TAMU has ever produced ... world class guys...

We'll let FATTY moderate, "Fair and Balanced" ...
I'm serious.
George
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Pond Boss regional meeting January 17 - 01/09/09 12:58 AM
I'll call Bob tomorrow.....
Thanks for the invite. I doubt I can make it because I have customer fish pickup at our farm on Saturdays. I'll let you all know. Hope I can work it out.
I just had an idea about the meal. There is a place in Paris called the Fish Fry. It is all you can eat catfish and is excellent. Everybody could eat lunch before you show up at noon then we could all go to the Fish Fry at 6 or 7.
Posted By: FRPeeps Re: Pond Boss regional meeting January 17 - 01/09/09 03:38 AM
Chris is correct, The Fish Fry is an outstanding place to eat catfish, seafood, or a steak. If we decide to go there for an evening meal we should get a headcount and make a reservation. They have several different rooms of varying sizes that can be reserved. The owner, Don Ensey, is also an avid fisherman and pondmeister and I'm sure would be proud to have us.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Pond Boss regional meeting January 17 - 01/09/09 03:47 AM
...and I'm sure would be proud to have us.

Oh Frank...if only you knew
Posted By: george1 Re: Pond Boss regional meeting January 17 - 01/09/09 12:20 PM
Chris is correct, The Fish Fry is an outstanding place to eat catfish, seafood, or a steak. If we decide to go there for an evening meal we should get a headcount and make a reservation. They have several different rooms of varying sizes that can be reserved. The owner, Don Ensey, is also an avid fisherman and pondmeister and I'm sure would be proud to have us.
Chris and Frank are right on = Fish Fry place in Paris best ever.
We go there often with my son and his family
Add son Jeff's name to attendance list as probable.
After all, he is my pond owner and I'm the "sharecropper" and
"feeloader"...
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Pond Boss regional meeting January 17 - 01/09/09 07:51 PM
Don Ensey is a Pond Boss subscriber
Posted By: george1 Re: Pond Boss regional meeting January 17 - 01/10/09 12:28 AM
High yesterday tied record high temp of 78 degrees.
Low temp forcast Friday nite 17 degrees....!!!!!

Long Johns are uniform of the day for PB Regional conference Saturday morning ...!!!!
So here is the plan for next Saturday.

Show up at 12. We will have sandwich stuff and drinks for everybody.We will check out the pond and talk, then at 6:30 we will head into Paris and eat at the Fish Fry.

Depending on how cold it is we may spend most of the time at Franks place because he has a shop we can get inside.
Posted By: george1 Re: Pond Boss regional meeting January 17 - 01/10/09 07:56 PM
What's the head count Chris?
Hope for a good turnout - should be fun.
I think 9 so far. Bob is going to call some more people to see if they would like to come out.

Me
My Dad
You
Your son
Lusk
Dave
James
Frank
Jeffreythree
Fatty
I am a MAYBE. I might be working with my dad helping him load and unload his storage warehouse. Yipppie!!
Posted By: george1 Re: Pond Boss regional meeting January 17 - 01/11/09 06:05 PM
Attention N/NE Texas Pond/Bossers - don't miss out on this opportunity to visit and see Chris and Franks new ponds, discuss fish stocking, and mistakes made (mine).

I'll even give a free geology consultation about the very intersting areas of our pond locations (read water quality).
It will be worth every cent ...
I sent an email to Bob McFarland the other day. He said that he and his wife Donna are going to be coming out.
Ouch, my Under Armor is at Bowie.
Posted By: george1 Re: Pond Boss regional meeting January 17 - 01/12/09 11:50 AM

Any ideas for a program other than look at fpeeps and Chris’s ponds?

IIRC the Regional PB meeting origin was a forum request from Frank about stocking his new pond.
I was interested from a neighbor standpoint to offer my stocking experience, failures and success.
So let’s not stray from the main topic.

Chris responded upon discovering his pond was only a mile away, and he contacted Lusk who suggested a meeting.

So here goes with my idea for discussion:
Lusk overview as to typical/standard stocking for a N.E. Texas “balanced” pond.
Discussion of adult species stocking options.
Hybrid Striper “put & take” stocking
Native BG/CNBG F-1’s
BG Genetics (this is my reason for suggesting Lusk, Waldrop, and Overton discussion) and my current primary interest.

Any others – these are only my ideas.
George
Sounds like a good start George. I am interested in getting more info about a HSB pond because that is what I would like to stock. I would also like to hear more about choosing native BG vs. Coppernose BG.
Posted By: george1 Re: Pond Boss regional meeting January 17 - 01/13/09 04:56 PM
 Originally Posted By: Pondrookie
Great choice of location Bob. I am looking forward to attending. Since I am now retired if you need any help with anything please let me know. Gary Condo, Sulphur Springs, TX
Gary, we sure would like for you to join us for Regional PB meeting this coming Saturday at Chris and Frank's ponds just north of Paris.
George Glazener
Posted By: Pondrookie Re: Pond Boss regional meeting January 17 - 01/13/09 05:11 PM
George, can you give me some directions or an address for the Meeting on the 17th. Address would be great. Thanks, Gary
Gary, I will send you the directions this afternoon. See you on Saturday.
Posted By: george1 Re: Pond Boss regional meeting January 17 - 01/13/09 05:18 PM
Gary, Chris sent me directions by PM to his place north of Paris and I'll look it up if not posted above.

I'm going to meet Frank early at Paris and follow him.
George
Posted By: Pondrookie Re: Pond Boss regional meeting January 17 - 01/13/09 05:39 PM
Thanks Chris. See you Saturday.
For those of us who can't make it, someone should volunteer to take pics and notes to sum up the meeting discussion.
Hey, send me some directions also. Now what time should we arrive, etc?
Dave, I sent you the directions in a PM the other day. Everybody can show up at noon.
Sorry guys I am not going to be able to make it. Yall have fun and take notes!!!
Wow I had a great time looking at both ponds and meeting all of yall. I really enjoyed talking with yall and hearing everyones stories. Frank I loved your pond and will keep all the idea you gave me in my head for when I build my own pond. Thanks for the invite out to your place. Chris special thanks to your mom for lunch. I enjoyed looking at your place and hearing all your ideas for land. Guys keep up the great work hope to hear stories of yall catching fish out of your pond. God Bless and happy fishing.
Posted By: Randal Re: Pond Boss regional meeting January 17 - 01/20/09 03:51 PM
It was our pleasure having you all out to our place this past weekend. I really enjoyed having the opportunity to meet everyone and to hear your feedback on Frank’s pond. I think my wife (Sheri) has a little better understanding of way we are putting so much detail into digging Chris's pond.

Chris and I finished framing our dock yesterday and we planted the anchor point for Chris's "No Wake Zone" buoy. I told him all we needed now was a swimming area buoy.
© Pond Boss Forum