Pond Boss
Posted By: Bob Lusk What do you guys think about Ken's story? - 12/29/08 04:06 AM
When I read Ken's story, I felt like stopping what I was doing, going and buying all the stuff and doing what he did. What are your thoughts...without giving away the essence of the story for those who haven't read it yet?
Posted By: Bing Re: What do you guys think about Ken's story? - 12/29/08 01:34 PM
Very interesting, although I think I'll just buy mine at the tackle store. Perhaps the best part, if you did it his way, would be the by-products.

Bing
I've been away for a while. What is the name of the thread you are talking about?
Catmandoo Ken? Which thread?
I believe Bob is referring to a story by Catmandoo in the new PBMag.

"Without giving away the essence of the story for those who haven't read it yet," I thought it was a pretty good guide to doing what it does.
Ken's article was excellent, and all the info you would need to raise your own trout worms. ( That's what we call them here.)
Ken's interesting and educational story is in the Jan-Feb 2009 issue of Pond Boss mag.
Posted By: TOM G Re: What do you guys think about Ken's story? - 12/29/08 05:02 PM
You guys are cold,teasing me that way.I probably wont get mine for another 3 weeks. \:\(
Posted By: ewest Re: What do you guys think about Ken's story? - 12/29/08 07:11 PM
Not here yet. \:\(
Posted By: Shorty Re: What do you guys think about Ken's story? - 12/29/08 07:25 PM
 Originally Posted By: ewest
Not here yet. \:\(

ditto
Posted By: Dwight Re: What do you guys think about Ken's story? - 12/29/08 10:01 PM
Ken's article was interesting and well written. I read it twice!
Not here yet. \:\)
Everything you'd ever want to know!!! I was however a little upset to hear about Lumbricus Terrestris, those are my all-time favorite. It is incredible what Pondboss can get on only 2 1/2 pages!!! THANK YOU!!! ;-)
Got mine today. Thinking about going back to doing it again. I thought Kens article was great.
Posted By: n8ly Re: What do you guys think about Ken's story? - 12/30/08 04:29 AM
Got it, read it, LOVED IT! Great job Ken! I think utilizing members wisdom and experiences into the mag is awesome. Hopefully others will chime in with some "outside of the box" projects!
Geeze, you guys are going to give me a big head.

Thanks for the great compliments. As usual, there was a lot of other really great content from cooking to fin clipping. Since not everyone has their copy yet, I don't want to give anything away.

P.S. -- My worms got thinned out the other day. We had a windstorm, and the lid blew off the "worm farm." Four or five of our free-range hens were in there gorging themselves on scraps and worms.

Ken
Verry nice Catmandoo! I can't wait for spring so I can start my own worm farm. These are the kind of projects that make managing ponds fun.
I am going to probably do a worm farm, as I get tired of looking under stumps for dinky worms when the kids want to fish.

Adirondack Pond, that was an awesome cover photo of your pond also
Ken great read. Got the mag yesterday and only article I went thru thus far. I remember reading the post last year and wanting to do a worm box. I will have one made by spring, thanks.
Just got my issue and went straight to Ken's article (after Bob's "From the Editor's Desk", of course). Very good and informative. I have a small set up, but will expand in the spring.
Still waiting for my first mag!
I can't wait to read it. I usually get my magazine earlier than most on the site, but the tides have turned for this edition. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow.
I got the magazine Christmas Eve...what a nice, early present.

I thoroughly enjoyed Ken's article. My dad and I alrady built a worm farm after exhanging PMs with Ken some time ago. He is a true gentleman and is very knowledgable.

Great article, Ken!
Ken's article was the kind of article I really like - a detailed how-to-do-it article. Excellent job Ken and thanks for putting it together for us! I will try Ken's project in addition to using fish lures from my compost pile. In mid summer the pickins are slim in the compost pile due to too little fresh scraps.
Posted By: Russ Re: What do you guys think about Ken's story? - 12/31/08 03:34 AM
Hopefully tonight the mailbox will give up the goods.
Yeah, what the heck, I am never this late. I need to talk to the mailman, again!
If I may make some observations wrt the "Ask the Boss" Q&A section (which I just finished), without giving away too much information:

Having met Cody, I was able to read The Pond Doctor's massively informative response with Bill's voice in my head. Good fish suggestion for the swimming pond, Dr. Perca.

Second, Bruce's Mom wrote to PB World Headquarters asking for three copies of the November/December 2008 issue. For the life of me, I can't imagine why. I'll have to dig it out of the magazine rack in the reading room tonight and see if there was a really good recipe in that issue.
First off, great story Ken, very well written and informative. My only criticism is that you should have had a "hero" shot of you holding "condello style" a large worm. In this way you would have got your mug published in the magazine. Keep that in mind for future stories.

I have several questions & comments about the magazine. When can we start discussing it? I can't wait.

SPOILER ALERT: THE FOLLOWING IS AN EXCERPT OF THE MAGAZINE. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ THIS I HIGHLY SUGGEST YOU AVERT YOUR EYES IMMEDIATELY.

Originally Posted By: Bill Cody from Pond Boss Magazine
Bass will never bite a swimmer. Panfish of various species bite swimmers. In managing about 80 ponds, I have never had a pond owner tell me they were bit by a bass in a bass-only pond. Green sunfish are a magnificent species of sunfish that should be revered and worshipped by all.

JWHAP and I have had bass fingerlings bite us many times in our pond. They swim in packs of 2 to 3 and will nip at you whilst floating around the pond. We do have other fish in the pond so it is not a bass-only pond. Why would bass bite in an integrated pond and not in a bass-only pond. Inquiring minds want to know.

Oh and by the way I did not get to permission to reproduce this section of Pond Boss magazine. I realize that Pond Boss magazine is protected by copyright laws and that I probably will be sued, or receive some form of corporal punishment (is Pond Boss allowed to cane you for such violations?) or at the very least be taunted for taking such liberties with the magazine content. I apologize in advance (ok, actually after the fact) for my lapse in judgement. I plead insanity. Also, since I am in a confessional sort of mood, I might have added that green sunfish stuff to Bill's quote.

It has inspired me to try it.
Look forward to other articles of the same sort.
Yeah, loved and learned from Kens' story. Every summer I depart the 100 degree plus climate of Bakersfield (sounds hot don't it) to stay on my Alabama acerage. Yet, in my own testimony, I left a passal (20 gal planter) full of 'em sitting on the patio. So upon return in August I watered the planter and bought some more from the local fishing shop. Was I surprised when mixing the soil, those buggers survived 6 weeks of no water and 105 degree days Not only are they cold hardy yet also heat hardy. If you slough off for a few weeks, they'll survive despite our negillgence
i JUST got the mag last night, havent read it yet, but know the story from the forum.....its great you got to publish it ken....congrats.....

also nice cover pic there adirondack, congrats on that too..
DIED -- I beat ya! Mine came on Tuesday of this week. \:\)
Posted By: Sunil Re: What do you guys think about Ken's story? - 01/09/09 09:20 PM
Ken's story is well written and great.

Nice job, catmandoo!
Excellent story. I will hopefully be putting what I learned into application this year. One thing I wasn't clear about was if worms could be raised on JUST artificial pellets. If so, it would be something easier for me to feed them everyday, as opposed to collecting scraps.
...or you could just have the wurm farm at your house in town and (carefully) transport them to the ponds to use for bait/feed the fish.

That is, of course, assuming your wife wouldn't mind. Supermodels are pretty patient when it comes to having wurm farms at their houses, ya know. Your odds are good.
 Originally Posted By: davatsa
...or you could just have the wurm farm at your house in town and (carefully) transport them to the ponds to use for bait/feed the fish.

That is, of course, assuming your wife wouldn't mind. Supermodels are pretty patient when it comes to having wurm farms at their houses, ya know. Your odds are good.

Agreed!!

To be honest with you, when I saw the photo on your signature line my first thought was, "I didn't know Christy Turlington was available".

thats an amazing resemblance....and fun to compare \:\)

dont look so happy dave
Posted By: Sunil Re: What do you guys think about Ken's story? - 01/09/09 10:15 PM
She's not available; davatsa has taken her off the market.
Dang Baylor guys and their hot chicks!!!!!
Actually the biggest difference between Dave's wife and Christy Turlington is that Dave's wife is younger and has better hair...

Other amazing reselblances.
LOL guys. Thanks for the compliments.

Fatty, what can I say--she's a Baylor girl. I'll never say I picked the wrong school.

Man, who knew we had a rock star on Pondboss??
© Pond Boss Forum