Pond Boss
Posted By: Captain1 Tilapia pic - 11/03/08 08:36 PM
I was pleased to catch this Tilapia yesterday, especially knowing that they begin to die off when the weather gets colder. This fish was 14 inches and weighed just over 3 lbs. I caught it on a nighcrawler. I didn't think that these fish could be caught - but if anyone has bait suggestions I would love to hear them. We eat store bought Tilapia all the time and I was curious if this fish would taste the same or "fishy". It did tast different...it was better! Super white flesh and tender. We like to cook our Tilapia in butter and lemon juice in a saute pan with italian breadcrumbs sprinkled on the top of them. I sure hope I can catch more before they die!

I have seen a couple albinos swimming around that must be 20 inches and 5-6 lbs. Crossbow?

Posted By: davatsa Re: Tilapia pic - 11/03/08 08:48 PM
We caught one about a week ago while sampling BG with No. 10 hooks and a pinch of Berkley's CC dough bait.

Haven't eaten one yet, but we will soon.
Posted By: chadwickz71 Re: Tilapia pic - 11/04/08 12:09 AM
How big were they when you stocked them and when were they stocked. Im just curious of their growth.

Posted By: Captain1 Re: Tilapia pic - 11/04/08 12:58 AM
They were stocked in April and were about 1/2 pound a piece
Posted By: Weissguy Re: Tilapia pic - 11/04/08 02:24 AM
Excellent growth rate Captain1! Is that a blue or a nile? Looks a little like both.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Tilapia pic - 11/04/08 03:01 AM
In Texas, I think mozambique tilapia are the only tilapia you can stock without a permit.
Posted By: Captain1 Re: Tilapia pic - 11/04/08 03:36 AM
That's correct davatsa...Mozambique for Texas. The color of the fish was almost shocking when I first pulled it out of the water with that blue purple lustre. Sure doesn't look like an East Texas native!
Posted By: Rainman Re: Tilapia pic - 11/04/08 04:08 AM
The tilapia shown sure doesn't look like a mozambique. It doesn't have the lips or color. It looks like a cross between Male blue and a female nile to me. Also I don't think you'd get that growth out of a moz., but you will easily get that growth from the cross. Moz don't taste as good as the Reds, blues, or niles.

Either way NICE fish!
Posted By: george1 Re: Tilapia pic - 11/04/08 12:07 PM
Tilapia caught N.E. Texas 09-24-08 @ ~3.50 pounds.
Also stocked in April at about 1/2#, maybe from same delivery if from Overton?

Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Tilapia pic - 11/04/08 01:25 PM
Pellet fly, george?
Posted By: george1 Re: Tilapia pic - 11/04/08 02:06 PM
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
Pellet fly, george?

Gulp Grub on the fly ....
Posted By: Captain1 Re: Tilapia pic - 11/04/08 02:48 PM
Mine were from Boatcycle in East Texas. So...a gulp grub on a fly rod huh? That sounds like fun.
Posted By: james holt Re: Tilapia pic - 11/04/08 04:19 PM
The best bait I have tried for the tilapia was uncooked popcorn shrimp. I thought that the tilapia were vegetarians but I now think that they are opportunistic feeders that will eat whatever they can get. I have always caught more tilapia in November than any other month. Have any of you had the same experiance?
Posted By: BrianH Re: Tilapia pic - 11/04/08 06:07 PM
I've tried a lot of different things. Worms worked best but I haven't even tried this year because they just piss me off. The ones that get fed with the bass are hard to catch.
Posted By: archer Re: Tilapia pic - 11/04/08 06:34 PM
Caught in July 2008....stocked Mar 2008 from Overton, about 4" long then, now almost 3 pounds. We have not eaten any yet, but plan on frying some for Thanksgiving. We have had good luck on nightcrawlers and pieces of raw shrimp. They feed really good on AQMX 600. We live south of Houston, so hopefully most will over-winter.

Posted By: ezylman Re: Tilapia pic - 11/04/08 06:47 PM
Captain1...

Have you thought of feeding to bring them in and then getting them with a seine net? Might be worth a try.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Tilapia pic - 11/04/08 11:01 PM
Have fun trying to seine for tilapia in a pond not designed for it! Tilapia will lay down flat and dig into the mud to let the seine pass over.
Posted By: Weissguy Re: Tilapia pic - 11/05/08 05:18 AM
I have to second Rainman's opinion. It sure doesn't have the appearance of a mozambique. I'm no expert though.
© Pond Boss Forum