Pond Boss
Posted By: archer Aqua-shade vs chemical control - 11/03/08 07:13 PM
I have 3/4 acre pond, 6 ft avg depth, 10 ft max depth, with aerator 24/7. I have had a HEAVY chara infestation all summer. I just added 8 triploid GC from Overton last month. I know over time they will get this stuff under control, but since they slow down eating in cool water, and not sure if the chara will, should I help them along. I did not chemically treat during the summer due to our high air/water temps (air=95+, water 89+) and fear of hurting fish. The secchi reading exceeds 4 ft (then and now) and I can still see LOTS of chara coming from 8-10 ft areas.

Since the water will start to cool, and fish activity of all kinds should slow, would you recommend a true chemical control, or aqua-shade to filter the light and slow/stop chara spread. I would like to get an algae bloom next spring and have 18" visibility for good fish production. I feed about 3 lbs aquamax/day and have lots of fish, but still get super clear water.

Water temp last night = 72F, LMB and HSB fed aggressively.
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Aqua-shade vs chemical control - 11/03/08 07:44 PM
Darryl I think the chara should die back over the winter. However using dye in the non growing season should not be too big a problem in lowering reproductive success as it is in the warm months of the year. So it might help but I think I would just wait for cold weather.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Aqua-shade vs chemical control - 11/04/08 03:14 AM
Aquashade is not going to help with the chara much in your situation. If it is already present and growing, aquashade will not help it to die back at all. If your going for the fertilization route, just wait till next spring. if you dont think the chara will die back this winter, go ahead and treat it or manually remove it.
Posted By: Habitatpro Re: Aqua-shade vs chemical control - 11/04/08 12:12 PM
Id put money on the GC...I have 25 in a 2 1/2 acre Chara plantation/pond and they really worked it over in the first year
© Pond Boss Forum