Pond Boss
Posted By: GW temporary irrigation for new dam - 10/29/08 08:02 PM
Cindy's pond was finished a few weeks ago and I would like to find out what options are available for irrigating the annual rye I planted. There are no utilities near the site.

We had a two day period of rain which caused some ruts and helped the rye sprout. Now we're in a dry period and I'm concerned that the grass won't do much before the next rain. Without irrigation I'm afraid the ruts will grow faster than the grass.

The rain left water below the dam for about 1/4 of it's 800 ft length. At this point I'm picturing a small trash pump feeding a length of pvc pipe with a few impulse sprinkler heads. A pipe size between 1" and 1.5" would be best because in the future I will need this size pipe for another project. The back of the dam is about 40 feet from top to bottom.

Thanks.

Here's a pump: Pump

Posted By: david u Re: temporary irrigation for new dam - 10/29/08 08:55 PM
GW, I believe you will want to buy a "high pressure" water pump to hook up to say, some 3/4" PVC pipe. These are clear water pumps, but they can be used to pump out of your pond as well. Would also recommend getting a ball foot valve( brass kind for their weight)..du
This would be a gasoline operated pump, assuming there was no electricity
Posted By: Rainman Re: temporary irrigation for new dam - 10/29/08 09:02 PM
GW, you may want to check out a pool and spa sales/repair center. I asked if they had any used pumps for sale and they said "No", you can have them for free. Got a $800, 2hp, high pressure, 160 GPM pump that was replaced as "preventative maintenance". It also had a strainer in the assy. I use it for the purpose you are wanting one for. I think I will use it to make a waterfall when I get around to it.
Posted By: GW Re: temporary irrigation for new dam - 10/30/08 02:38 AM
Thanks guys.
Posted By: GW Re: temporary irrigation for new dam - 10/30/08 05:41 PM
Does anyone have an opinion about this pump from Tractor Supply?

Could I use 1" pvc with a 2" outlet pump?
Posted By: rmedgar Re: temporary irrigation for new dam - 10/31/08 12:54 AM
GW, I bought a similar 2" trash pump and the thing is a real work-horse. I rigged it to a regular garden hose and it works fine.
I pump water out of the lake to water my grass - one tank of gas will run the motor for about 2.25 hours.
But I really didn't answer your question about that pump, sorry.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: temporary irrigation for new dam - 10/31/08 01:05 AM
GW, I've had several pumps, 4 or 5 I guess, and have thrown a rod in every one but the Honda. I will never buy another one that isn't a Honda.
Posted By: bobad Re: temporary irrigation for new dam - 10/31/08 01:13 AM
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
GW, I've had several pumps, 4 or 5 I guess, and have thrown a rod in every one but the Honda. I will never buy another one that isn't a Honda.

I second that! Can't go wrong with Honda.

You also can't go wrong with Robin-Suburu and Kawasaki.
Posted By: GW Re: temporary irrigation for new dam - 10/31/08 01:04 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure there are better machines than the one I'm looking at, but once this dam is finished I don't anticipate needing to use the pump much. It's got a one year warranty so I'm considering it like rent as much as a purchase. If money wasn't an issue I would definitely get a Honda or look into the ones you recommend bobad.
Posted By: TEXAS715 Re: temporary irrigation for new dam - 10/31/08 01:29 PM
I have flood irrigated fields by just siphoning over the dam to a lower field.
Posted By: Rainman Re: temporary irrigation for new dam - 10/31/08 01:46 PM
GDub, the pump you're looking at has a honda clone engine. The parts are 100% interchangable and just as reliable.
Posted By: Rainman Re: temporary irrigation for new dam - 10/31/08 01:53 PM
I bought one of these to drain my pond Trash Pump . It says a 2.4 hour run time, but mine would run about 6 hours. I put over 300 hours on it then sold it for more than I paid.

This one also has a honda clone engine, but many parts, like the carb are honda original, plus it's got a bigger engine for less money. Mine always satrted on the second pull, first pull was with the choke on.
© Pond Boss Forum