Pond Boss
Posted By: george1 HSB/CNBG/RES Pond - 09/11/08 02:50 PM
Photo History of ¼ acre N.E.Texas Pond

Completed January 12, 2004 for ~12-24ft livestock “tank”.
No structure - steep banks – limited spawning area.
Limited shoreline cover.
1 GC and annual same sex 5# Tilapia stocking.
No aeration.
Supplemental high protein feed program.
First intended for forage pond evolving into a HSB/CNBG/RES pond.

1# Fat Head Minnows stocked Fall 2004

100 ~3 inch Red Ear Sunfish stocked Fall 2004

Red Ear Sunfish caught 07-03-07

100 4-6 inch Hybrid Stripers stocked 01-15-05

"Grown-out" Hybrid Sriper

4-6 inch Hybrid Striper stocker

November 2006 began adult Hybrid Striped Bass "stocking ladder"

First fishing results of "grow-out" program

Began high protein feeding program.

5# annual same sex tilapia.
3rd year made a big mistake and stocked 6 brood pair Arkansas strain CNBG.

~25+ 8-9 inch male CNBG from main pond have been transferred to little pond the past two years, and all female CNBG caught and/or trapped are removed from little pond.

Adult stocking rate of 25 HSB fall stockers and 25 spring stockers will be continued, and transfer ~25+, 2-3 # HSB to main pond to maintain annual “stocking ladder.

When Todd Overton of Overton Fisheries took the financial risk to “grow-out” adult size HSB stockers, it created an opportunity for Texas pond owners to stock small ponds with existing LMB population – for his efforts I am grateful.

I normally stock 25 adult HSB spring and fall annual “stocking ladder”, with WAG of 20% mortality and harvest or transfer best quality HSB to main pond.

Hybrid Striped Bass 09-05-08
(Photo enhancement by B.C. technique... )

To date HSB, 1 female LMB, and 1 Blue Catfish have done a good job in controlling BG spawn, in addition removing all female BG by hook or trapping.

2008 fall stocking plan is 100 all male adult pure Florida CNBG and 50, 8-10 inch HSB.

I wouldn’t change a thing except ALL MALE pure Florida CNBG.

Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: HSB/CNBG/RES Pond - 09/11/08 03:04 PM
Sweet, george.

I'm gonna keep this pond in the back of my head for future reference and possible imitation (with Male-only northern BG).
Posted By: Chris Steelman Re: HSB/CNBG/RES Pond - 09/11/08 05:12 PM
Thanks for all the information George. That will definetaly help me with my management strategies.
Posted By: n8ly Re: HSB/CNBG/RES Pond - 09/11/08 05:51 PM
People laugh at me when I tell them I can turn their one acre pond into a trophy fishery! There going to really think I am crazy when I tell folks with 1/4 acre ponds that they can have trophy fisheries!

Thanks George!! I recognized that first picture from somewhere, but cant quite put my finger on it where I have seen that before???
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: HSB/CNBG/RES Pond - 09/11/08 05:54 PM
That is great information in a concise form.

Definitely an inspiration to me!
Posted By: jakeb Re: HSB/CNBG/RES Pond - 09/11/08 08:34 PM
George refresh my memory please, why do you prefer the Fla to Arkansas Strain CNBG? I looked at your posts how to tell them apart, but I must have missed why your trying to take out your Arkansas strain???

thanks
Posted By: george1 Re: HSB/CNBG/RES Pond - 09/11/08 09:13 PM
 Originally Posted By: jakeb
George refresh my memory please, why do you prefer the Fla to Arkansas Strain CNBG? I looked at your posts how to tell them apart, but I must have missed why your trying to take out your Arkansas strain???
thanks

Jake, when we first stocked our 2 acre pond, we stocked CNBG from an Arkansas fish truck, pure Florida CNBG, and grandson’s caught native BG from a neighbor’s pond.

Great genetic mix and have produced outstanding fish, but I personally prefer the coloration of the pure Florida CNBG original stockers.
Therefore, I culled all BG that had Arkansas characteristics and transferred big males to ¼ acre pond and now VERY PROUD of them since our major fish kill this summer on 2 acre pond.

I plan to restock the 2 acre pond with all male, adult pure Florida CNBG this fall because of personal preference, and believe them to be a superior strain.
There are medium size mixed genetics BG survivors to dilute the pure Florida strain, but will be stocking in high numbers.

Search the archives for photo ID of the different CNBG’s.
There is a ton of information.
George

ps: check out Bruce's Big Blue Gill site:
http://www.bigbluegill.com/photo/photo/show?id=2036984%3APhoto%3A1366&context=user

Posted By: ewest Re: HSB/CNBG/RES Pond - 09/12/08 12:16 AM
Here are 3 threads on the subject (Ark vs Fla). I agree with George on the matter.

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthread...=true#Post90839

http://www.pondboss.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=003546;p=1

http://www.pondboss.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=24;t=000009;p=4
© Pond Boss Forum