Pond Boss
Posted By: Rad Weather - 08/17/08 08:22 AM
Here are a couple of pictures taken out of my kitchen window last week. The wind was blowing the rain hard enough to sting.

The hazy look is just wind driven rain. The storm lasted less than 7 minutes. It hit like a wall and left almost the same way, no drizzle or sprinkle just gone.

I looked out a side window and saw it coming from about half mile away and by the time I got the camera and to the kitchen this is what I saw:

The second photo is a close up of the area in right hand corner of the first.

Big trees really take a beating here, every one of these squalls damages or knocks down a few.
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: Weather - 08/17/08 11:32 AM
That's putting down some water! I see a boat 7 is that a bridge? That 2nd pic should be framed!!
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Weather - 08/17/08 12:42 PM
Rad, how much rainfall would that have totaled in 7 minutes?
Posted By: ewest Re: Weather - 08/17/08 12:53 PM
Rad is that a typical rain event ?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Weather - 08/17/08 01:00 PM
Rad,

How far up above your pond is your kitchen? Looks like quite a ways up a hill.
Posted By: bobad Re: Weather - 08/17/08 01:39 PM
Looks like some of that 3" an hour type rain. The pics are just beautiful; nature throwing a glorious little hissy fit.
Posted By: ahvatsa Re: Weather - 08/17/08 09:16 PM
"Looks like some of that 3" an hour type rain."

I'll take 4 hours worth please...
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Weather - 08/17/08 09:24 PM
I saw 4" in 20 minutes once. I was out trenching around the house to keep the basement from flooding through the window wells.
Posted By: Rad Re: Weather - 08/18/08 02:52 AM
The total rain fall was not much, just enough to fill the little depressions in the road and sticky up the clay. Water soaks in pretty fast around here.

The crew building the house, thats it below, just got leeward and went back to work when it stopped. The house is about 75 yards from my window. The kitchen floor is about 15 feet back of and 15 feet above the water line. No boats or bridges, it is just a small pond.

This is the first year, out of 5, that I have seen the weather this violent, this often. Every storm has had a lot of wind and many of the storms have been accompanied by these squalls. We are not getting a lot of rain, just rains a lot. I know that sounds confusing, but it has been either sprinkles or very short down pours, neither of which adds much to the pond level. We have had two storms so far this monsoon that have been the 3 or 4 inch an hour type and 3 others that have lasted for 4 to 6 days.

When we did the first pond I was out digging ditches in an attempt to slow or stop the pond banks from eroding. With the new pond, I just plan to repair the damage in the dry season. If I had a basement it would be my third pond.

Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Weather - 08/19/08 03:57 PM
Rad, I just heard on the local news that Wichita Falls, Tx just got 12 inches of rain in 2 hours.
Posted By: Rad Re: Weather - 08/20/08 02:06 AM
Dave,
I have to feel for them, when you get that much in that time period there is no good place for all of the water to go.

I would rather hear about it than be in it.
© Pond Boss Forum