Pond Boss
Posted By: Bones Mississippi Wildlife and Fisheries Camp - 08/13/08 12:56 AM
I thought I would share a great family vacation idea for anyone interested. There is an intergenerational wildlife/fisheries camp sponsored by MSU in Starkville, MS. The 5 day camp is for parents and children and is put on twice a summer. My 11 year old daughter and I went in July and had a wonderful time. We experienced hands-on pond/stream ecology, seining, fly fishing, fly-tying, bow-fishing, shooting, trapping, plants, insects, snakes, turtles, etc. We stayed in the dorms on campus at night and headed out to the field during the day with lectures in the evenings. My daughter and I have really become "buds" since. MSUcares Wildlife and Fisheries Camp
Posted By: Brettski Re: Mississippi Wildlife and Fisheries Camp - 08/13/08 01:03 AM
What a great post! Well done, Bones. This is the kinda stuff that keeps this forum ticking and growing. Thanks for sharing that outstanding program.
-
Got any pics of the adventure? (if you don't want to show "faces", I completely understand)
That is really cool! I attended Texas A&M's Sea Camp as a child and teen and loved it, but no parents there. It looks like a great way to expands a childs interest in nature if they are already interested in one aspect of it. I know the perfect nephew's father to mention this to. Thanks for posting this.
Posted By: Bones Re: Mississippi Wildlife and Fisheries Camp - 08/13/08 01:29 AM
Plenty of pics. Just click on the site and view photos. We were even picked up on the local evening news. I have always considered myself a sportsman but this educational kick really brought out the "conservationist" in me.
Thanks for posting this. I'm forwarding it to my fishery friends at the WV Extension Service.
Posted By: bbjr Re: Mississippi Wildlife and Fisheries Camp - 08/13/08 11:15 AM
Thanks, Bones, I will have to remember this when my kids are a little bit older.
That is great Bones! Someone at the Pond Boss conference made the statement that everyone should introduce a young person to nature - far too few young people are enjoying the out of doors.

You're raising a future Pond Boss!
Posted By: TOM G Re: Mississippi Wildlife and Fisheries Camp - 08/13/08 02:12 PM
Wasnt that Bob Lusk on Sat?
Posted By: Brettski Re: Mississippi Wildlife and Fisheries Camp - 08/13/08 03:36 PM
I believe it was Dale on Friday; subsequently punctuated by Bob
I knew I heard it from some reputable source. \:D
Posted By: TOM G Re: Mississippi Wildlife and Fisheries Camp - 08/13/08 09:07 PM
I stand corrected again.Thanks brettski,I thought I was actually going to make an informative post for a change. \:o
© Pond Boss Forum