Pond Boss
Posted By: archer Floating fish feeder - 05/08/08 05:46 PM
Has anyone built a floating fish feeder ? I was thinking of building a 5x5 ft wood raft, attach it to some flotation foam blocks, and weigh it down to the bottom with cable and 5 gal bucket of concrete. I thought if I had the feeder set out about near the middle of 3/4 ac pond, then reagrdless of wind direction, the fish would have a chance to get it before it hits the shore. I could set it in about 7 ft of water and it would feed into 2-5 feet of water. I currently hand feed twice/day.

Thoughts, experiences, risks ????????????
Posted By: Eastland Re: Floating fish feeder - 05/08/08 06:04 PM
What does your pond look like? Can you place a directional feeder on the southwest shore and hit water during the Summer months? If so, put it there and let the wind carry it, Texas almost always has a southern breeze.

A floating dock sounds o.k., but why not take the time to make it a secure platform? A Fat Cat feeder holds a lot of food and doesn't have to be refilled that often, you'll only get wet a couple times a year \:\)
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Floating fish feeder - 05/08/08 06:26 PM
Interesting concept. You could put a "tail fin" a la weathervane on the raft to ensure that the feed was thrown upwind or downwind, as preferred.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Floating fish feeder - 05/10/08 05:02 PM
You could mount a scatter feeder on a 4x4 post out in the water with a post mount barrel from OnTime,
or use a tripod barrel mount and add as many sections of leg as you need. Scatter feeders work AWESOME when they are out in the pond as opposed to next to shore.

Floating Islands work great to mount feeders onto as well. Plus they look cooler than just a platform, pull nutrients from the water, and you can hang a pvc fish structure from them to create a brand new entire ecosystem in the middle of your pond.
© Pond Boss Forum