Pond Boss
Posted By: Matt Clark Ice is gone...fishin's on! - 03/24/08 08:24 PM
Haven't hit either pond just yet, but managed to catch 3 dandy CC on a local lake (along with one gigantaur bullhead @ 1.25 pounds). Froze our arses off, but I'm fixin' to try the ponds tonight or tomorrow, if the wind lays a bit.

42F, 17mph winds from south...might have to give a day or so. 59F tomorrow (believe THAT when I see it).

She's coming!
Posted By: Weissguy Re: Ice is gone...fishin's on! - 03/24/08 10:32 PM
I've been pushing the envelope here in NW Missouri for the last month. I was fishing the pond when it still had half ice coverage. I even got an ice fishing session in this year. The bass have just started to hit decent. Bluegill haven't turned on yet, and I'm anxious to throw some of those in the frying pan.

I REALLY need to learn a little patience.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Ice is gone...fishin's on! - 03/24/08 11:41 PM
For some strange reason, I've been requiring 15-20 minute rest stops at the pond most nights while out checking livestock and hay. By the sheerest of coincidences, that's usually long enough to grab a pole from the oarhouse and exercise a bass or two.
Posted By: NE Mason Re: Ice is gone...fishin's on! - 03/25/08 12:15 AM
Well, two hours ago I just turned on aerators to get rid of the ice on my trout pond. My local hatchery guy said mixing the thermal layers wouldn't hurt the fish, and I could even start feeding to see what their appetite is. Today I measured - I still have 14 inches of ice!

I bought a seine net just before freeze up, and did not get a chance to use it... Will as soon as ice is off. May be a bit hard with about 18 inches of snow still around the edges of the pond in many places.

We got more snow then I've ever seen, and it stayed. We had very few thaw cycles this winter.

But we should catch the warm weather coming through the midwest, by next week see the fifties.
Posted By: NE Mason Re: Ice is gone...fishin's on! - 03/25/08 12:17 AM
Actually, I should say the hatchery guy said that a relatively shallow 1/4 acre pond (9 feet depth) would not have a significant thermal layer - so mixing through aeration should not be an issue.
Posted By: Weissguy Re: Ice is gone...fishin's on! - 03/25/08 01:01 AM
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
For some strange reason, I've been requiring 15-20 minute rest stops at the pond most nights while out checking livestock and hay. By the sheerest of coincidences, that's usually long enough to grab a pole from the oarhouse and exercise a bass or two.

Haha...

Theo, I can relate. I've been sneeking up to our pond about every other day after work for the last month or so. My wife and I are planning to build our new home there this summer, and it's only about 15 minutes from my current home. Sometimes I throw a line in. Sometimes I just sit there and look... and dream. An hour or two later usually, I finally snap out of it and realize I need to head home for the evening. I just can't wait for summer!

There is something magical to me about water. Even after the most stressful lousy day, I can just sit and do nothing but stare at the water and feel completely at peace with the world.
Posted By: ericdc Re: Ice is gone...fishin's on! - 03/25/08 01:49 AM
Weissguy, you nailed it! I'm not saying this to make you all jealous, although I might do it anyway. But as of the last 2 months since duck season ended I have enjoyed the comfort and stress relief that feeding my fish, fishing, or just walking around the pond provide. This evening with slight to no winds I paddled around in the boat (need to name it) and caught a few bass. What was most relaxing is the sounds of the water against the boat, the doves flying around in the pine trees, the splashing of a fish chasing a smaller fish somewhere around the pond, and fishing a very slow finesse presentation. It's a lot less stressful than duck hunting to me, although duck hunting is still number 1 in my heart. It's most likely because I can fish almost any evening i want after work and unwind. I really enjoy it when Tricia comes out with me.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Ice is gone...fishin's on! - 03/25/08 03:29 AM
 Originally Posted By: NE Mason
Actually, I should say the hatchery guy said that a relatively shallow 1/4 acre pond (9 feet depth) would not have a significant thermal layer - so mixing through aeration should not be an issue.

I wouldn't have any qualms turining hte diffuser in my trout pond as long as the air temp is above 39 F. At that temp there is no super cooling and the trout are more resistant to super cooling anyway.

Are you sure you want to see right after ice out? Sound like a good way to get them fungused up. I will be seining my trout pond, but will wait until the water gets into the 40's.

If you do seine in really cold water make sure you get them back on feed ASAP.
© Pond Boss Forum