Pond Boss
Posted By: Sgt911 Early spring? - 02/26/08 01:06 AM
Saw some wood ducks trying to mate, trees are blooming, wildflowers are coming out and a wren just built a nest in my mule glovebox...Me thinks spring is early this year.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Early spring? - 02/26/08 01:08 AM
Great report; thanks for the boost, Sarg.
(as I peer out the window watching the next winter storm pile up snow)
Posted By: M Spinhirne Re: Early spring? - 02/26/08 03:13 AM
I am also seeing signs of an early spring. The red buds started blooming this week, we actually hit 80 F air temp., the BG are starting to create nests. I think the LMB will be starting to look at my new spawning beds soon.

Now if I didn't have to go to Buffalo, NY next week.
Posted By: iowanagofishin Re: Early spring? - 02/26/08 03:27 AM
no sign of early spring in iowa yet!

still have snow on the ground, and they are still ice fishing

wish i was there, 600 miles from my pond
Posted By: Rainman Re: Early spring? - 02/26/08 03:32 AM
No early spring here either. Just enjoyed another .5 inches of freezing rain. Let's see now---that makes 4" of ice this year and only 8" of snow, 6" of sleet.......But, It IS re-filling the 12' drained last summer right before the drought.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Early spring? - 02/26/08 03:35 AM
No sign of spring here in northern Indina either. Could get up to 10 inches of snow tonight and there is at least six inches of solid ice on the ponds. Supposed to drop into the single digits tomorrow night I think.
Posted By: GW Re: Early spring? - 02/26/08 03:48 AM
It reached 74 degrees here today, but it's going down to mid 20's in a few nights. \:o
Posted By: davatsa Re: Early spring? - 02/26/08 04:34 AM
The high here yesterday was 85, and it was probably about that hot today. It's been in the 90s southwest of us.

We will "cool off" tomorrow with a balmy 71 for the high and 37 for the low.

Right now, weather.com says it "feels like 81"...and it was updated at 10:25 pm central time.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Early spring? - 02/26/08 05:11 AM
GW--davasta---You're not being very nice making those of us shivering so jealous.....
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Early spring? - 02/26/08 09:46 AM
That's O.K. Rainman. They will be toasting this summer while we will be confortable. It all evens out in the end. \:D
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Early spring? - 02/26/08 10:54 AM
Nice weather here but, as usual, no moisture for a long time. Some of that snow and ice might look pretty good.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Early spring? - 02/26/08 02:33 PM
It took Winter a while to get going here, but it's not ready to leave yet.

I'm ready for it to leave - I dreamed about hunting, fishing, and chewing bubble gum last night.
Posted By: Pat32rf/cf Re: Early spring? - 02/26/08 11:39 PM
I'll probably go fishing tomorrow, might even take the shotgun with me in case I spot a rabbit(snowshoe hare). Went Sunday,about 24" of snow in the bush, found lots of water (under 20" of ice) but no fish....Come on summer.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Early spring? - 02/26/08 11:53 PM
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
It took Winter a while to get going here, but it's not ready to leave yet.

I'm ready for it to leave - I dreamed about hunting, fishing, and chewing bubble gum last night.

Mr. Condello, That chewing gum dream makes me think you could get a patient that grinds teeth....You should have treated him at the mod retreat. ;\) The hunting and fishing parts seem WAY too normal for Theo! \:D
Posted By: Sgt911 Re: Early spring? - 03/02/08 06:18 PM
...The last sure sign of an early spring.....Saw a huge snake down at the pond yesterday evening. I'm a grown man, but I made a sound only a dog could hear when I almost stepped on it...
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Early spring? - 03/02/08 06:41 PM
49 degrees and bright sun here - it feels like it's about 65 out.
Posted By: FattyMcButterpants Re: Early spring? - 03/02/08 07:00 PM
68 here now was 82 yesterday, cold front coming so tommorrow high in the 40's
Posted By: Dwight Re: Early spring? - 03/02/08 11:18 PM
26 inches of ice, 40 mph winds......
Posted By: Dudley Landry Re: Early spring? - 03/03/08 02:43 AM
Everything is budding out. Plum trees, blackberries and blueberries are in bloom. 79 degrees today. Don't know how much longer I'll be able to stand this heat. We need back-to-back winters.
Posted By: FattyMcButterpants Re: Early spring? - 03/03/08 03:32 AM
calling for a 30% chance of SNOW flurries tommorrow night. it is 78 degreesrightnow at 930 pm
© Pond Boss Forum