Pond Boss
I have a 1/2 acre pond I've been working on filling and I'm noticing I'm losing about 6-8in per night and then I continue to fill the next day and so forth.

My pond is in sandy/clay mix and unfortunately wasn't compacted. I'm trying to be optimistic that it will seal up in time as the first 6ft seemed to seal over the summer a few rains and silting

During a first fill is it pretty common to lose a lot to initial saturation? I'm above the water table on top of thick blue clay so I'm hoping it'll seal eventually.

Thanks
Water does need to soak in a bit. Only time will tell, but blue clay seals really well on my place.
After first fill in June on newly constructed 8 acre pond, we had about three more heavy rains where I had flow out my spillway. The rest of the summer rains were minimal. As water level sets now, I feel like there is very little or no seepage going on. I'm about 14 inches low in newly constructed pond and same level down in other ponds on property. Very good clays here in NW Oklahoma.
Originally Posted by Jambi
After first fill in June on newly constructed 8 acre pond, we had about three more heavy rains where I had flow out my spillway. The rest of the summer rains were minimal. As water level sets now, I feel like there is very little or no seepage going on. I'm about 14 inches low in newly constructed pond and same level down in other ponds on property. Very good clays here in NW Oklahoma.

Thanks. I fully expect it'll take several fills to get the pond to hold. I just hope it does hold once it saturates and silts in a bit more.
© Pond Boss Forum