Pond Boss
Posted By: JChanse Ohio pond levels down? - 06/27/21 05:06 PM
New pond filled in the spring and has been slowly dropping since our last semi decent rain in mid may.

Pond is groundwater filled, just under half acre, great clay and in central Ohio.

Anyone else seeing pond levels drop in the area?

Going to see where it stabilizes after a year, just hoping it’s settling and isn’t a leak…..getting the bank account ready for soilfloc if necessary.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Ohio pond levels down? - 06/27/21 08:03 PM
We've gotten enough rain to hold ours steady. Without, I'd expect evaporation losses of about 1/2" per day.
Posted By: JChanse Re: Ohio pond levels down? - 06/27/21 08:29 PM
Will aeration or combine with fountain help with evaporation? Pond is less than 10 months old and will have electric run to it in the fall
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Ohio pond levels down? - 06/28/21 10:43 AM
They won't reduce evaporation any. A fountain (and possibly aeration) increases evaporation slightly (I would say negligibly).

P.S. I went fishing last night in the pond that always has the lowest level - it's down about 1".
Posted By: Drago Re: Ohio pond levels down? - 06/28/21 02:38 PM
I have seen the exact same drop in central Ohio - even more so on recent windy days. Hoping for some significant rain soon.
Posted By: JChanse Re: Ohio pond levels down? - 06/28/21 05:20 PM
Has yours dropped a half in or so a day for most of June?
Posted By: Drago Re: Ohio pond levels down? - 06/29/21 01:49 PM
Yes it has and maybe a little more on the really windy days.
Posted By: ZIGMAN Re: Ohio pond levels down? - 06/29/21 02:22 PM
You say your pond is groundwater filled which means it has filled from subsurface water. If that is the case, it may fluctuate greatly depending on the ground water level. My pond gets it's water from rain and the run off from the a small watershed. It is in solid clay and the water evaporates about 1/4 inch per day....more on hot windy days. There also has to be some seepage even through good Ohio clay.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Ohio pond levels down? - 06/30/21 10:17 AM
Soilfloc on a groundwater pond?
Posted By: JChanse Re: Ohio pond levels down? - 07/04/21 11:18 AM
That’s a good question for TJ or maybe answered on other threads. I’ll look around. Pond does get water shed as it’s basically the low point in the 10-12 acre woods
© Pond Boss Forum