Pond Boss
Posted By: brokie Red Dirt Jar Test - 01/06/21 05:20 PM
Hoping to build a 3/4 acre pond in the bottom below our house in lovely Oklahoma red dirt. Used a jar test to get an idea of soil composition to see if it's even an option (I know a jar test is not a thorough soil analysis). You can clearly see the sand layer in the bottom half of the dirt sample, but the top half of the jar looks like all silt to me? Can someone with more experience tell me what they see? The sample is from about 4 foot deep. Am I wasting my time?

Many thanks,
B

Attached picture jar_test.jpg
Posted By: Bobbss Re: Red Dirt Jar Test - 01/06/21 11:14 PM
Have you tried the bucket test?
Posted By: brokie Re: Red Dirt Jar Test - 01/07/21 03:13 PM
Bob -

I have not. I guess I am going to try to do that later today... I looked it up... Looks like I just need to drill holes in the bottom of the bucket and pack it 25% with dirt, fill with water and cross my fingers? Any other tips? I've seen varying opinions on how much dirt to put in the bucket...

Thanks,
B
Posted By: Bobbss Re: Red Dirt Jar Test - 01/07/21 06:13 PM
I don't remember how much dirt you should put in the bucket but I think I put in a little more than that. I know you don't want the dirt to wet or dry so you can get good compaction. Can you make a ball out of it and then roll it down to a thin pencil shape and it hold together? Another test is to make a ball and throw it at your truck and see if it holds together. If you can do those things it will probably work.
Posted By: Jambi Re: Red Dirt Jar Test - 01/07/21 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by Bobbss
Another test is to make a ball and throw it at your truck and see if it holds together.
As a fellow Okie, that hurts my feelings LOL
Posted By: brokie Re: Red Dirt Jar Test - 01/08/21 05:03 AM
Originally Posted by Bobbss
I don't remember how much dirt you should put in the bucket but I think I put in a little more than that. I know you don't want the dirt to wet or dry so you can get good compaction. Can you make a ball out of it and then roll it down to a thin pencil shape and it hold together? Another test is to make a ball and throw it at your truck and see if it holds together. If you can do those things it will probably work.

What if only 1 of the 2 works? Lol. Thanks for the feedback.
© Pond Boss Forum