Pond Boss
Posted By: Flame Best fertilizer for rye grass seed - 11/06/20 01:50 PM
Just had dozer work done on my pond and had topsoil put over the clay. I am spreading rye grass seed and will cover with hay to help hold it in place. I was told to spread some fertilizer first before putting the seed down. What mixture starter fertilizer should i use for rye grass seed? ie....8-8-8 12-24-12? I just don't know??
Posted By: jpsdad Re: Best fertilizer for rye grass seed - 11/06/20 02:16 PM
A really good fertilizer for rye is another plant. So an innoculated legume like crimson clover might be ideal.
Posted By: RStringer Re: Best fertilizer for rye grass seed - 11/06/20 03:34 PM
We spread rye right on top of the topsoil. I didn't use anything at all. Sprouted in about 7 days. Myself I would just keep it damp and it will grow. I'm pretty sure it will grow in a bag with nothing on it besides water.
Posted By: esshup Re: Best fertilizer for rye grass seed - 11/07/20 06:52 AM
If you really want to know, do a soil test specifically for cool season grass. That will tell you a LOT, including if you need lime or not.
Posted By: Bobbss Re: Best fertilizer for rye grass seed - 11/07/20 06:51 PM
I've had better luck with straw than hay,and I've always heard straw was better.
Posted By: gehajake Re: Best fertilizer for rye grass seed - 11/07/20 09:22 PM
I like to cover it with political promises,, you'll be cutting hay in no time.
Posted By: jpsdad Re: Best fertilizer for rye grass seed - 11/08/20 12:05 AM
Just so there is no confusion. I didn't recommend hay as a fertilizer. You could broadcast legume seeds and they would grow along with ryegrass fixing nitrogen for it. Together they would produce more political promises than either one independently. smile

You may be too far north for Crimson Clover to be used as a winter annual. Hairy Vetch may be a better choice. I think either would work simply broadcasting seed as you have. Straw is a good mulch and can really help with establishment. The only problem with those two legumes is that they reseed themselves and they would probably hang around a while. But both are recommended for stabilizing weak and disturbed soils.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Best fertilizer for rye grass seed - 11/08/20 03:21 AM
Crimson & Clover was a better song than Hair Vetch, though.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Best fertilizer for rye grass seed - 11/08/20 01:38 PM
I did it and would recommend clovers over other seeds. Who doesn't like laying in it with the girlfriend or wife in a bed of clover next to a body of water? The plant also feeds deer and bees but It is more expensive seed. Just toss it out and water, that is all that is necessary. Tossing a little straw on it will help but not really necessary. After bringing up, I am having fantasies of younger years smile
Posted By: Snipe Re: Best fertilizer for rye grass seed - 11/09/20 01:17 AM
Just make sure you water or work the fertilizer in before seeding. N will keep grass from germinating.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Best fertilizer for rye grass seed - 11/15/20 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by Bobbss
I've had better luck with straw than hay,and I've always heard straw was better.
We use hay because
1) Hay includes a plethora of local/native seeds that help produce a polyculture ground cover on the area, and
2) We grow and bale hay smile
© Pond Boss Forum