Pond Boss
Posted By: antknee did the soil become fully saturated? - 10/01/14 09:21 PM
I had a .5 acre pond dug and for the first several times it filled up, it would drain itself completely dry within a few days. Here recently it has been holding water pretty good. It took it about 9 months to get there. It was like it had a 8 inch hole in it when it was first dug. It was all gone in about 7 days. It's had a foot of water in it now for about a month.Could it be that it's gonna hold?
Sounds like you have a problem. Was the basin compacted in anyway?
Posted By: mpc Re: did the soil become fully saturated? - 10/02/14 02:04 PM
I agree with F&C looks like a problem. I am a novice pond owner, but since it is new I would contact the builder and see what they are willing to do for you, if nothing, then find another contractor. Pump it dry, have 3, 3" to 6" clay lifts, each compacted/laced together. Just get it over with, so you can get on with the fun of a NON leaking pond instead of the frustration of a leaking pond or a hole that will not hold water. Not much fun but you will be happier in the long run, IMHO.
Posted By: esshup Re: did the soil become fully saturated? - 10/02/14 02:18 PM
Soil takes a while to get saturated, it all depends on how much water was in there that you lost. I'd expect a few inches of water level flucturation to be normal, but not going completely dry in a normal rainfall year.
© Pond Boss Forum