Pond Boss
Posted By: coondog letting new pond settle - 06/26/03 08:27 AM
Can a newly dug pond be filled right away or should it have time to settle before being filled? Half of my pond is banked the other half is ground level.
Posted By: Eastland Re: letting new pond settle - 06/26/03 10:35 PM
Whoever dug the pond should have packed the dirt. I watched my dozer guy several times just working up and down the bank to pack a good fit. If a dozer did the work, the weight of the machine is probably good enough. After all, how fast could you fill it anyway...I'm betting it will settle on its own.
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: letting new pond settle - 06/26/03 10:48 PM
It would take MANY YEARS to settle on it's own. If you used an expercienced pond builder you should be able to fill with water as soon as he is finished. If you're uncertain ask him. He should tell you it's ok to fill now.
Ric
Posted By: patrick Re: letting new pond settle - 07/08/03 02:37 AM
I've found that it all depends on your soil type, the moisture content of the soil at the time of construction, and proper compaction. The soil in my area requires a sheep's foot roller to get the job done. Even with that several good rains from Mother Nature sure helps. The best way to tell is fill her up and see if she holds.
© Pond Boss Forum